Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eddiesverus
    • Dec 2008

Wireless Vehicle Conectivity

WHEN WORKING UNDER A LARGE VEHICLE OR IN THE ENGINE COMPARTMENT, THE DLC CABLE HAS US LIMITED. I WOULD LIKE A VCI LIKE DEVICE TO WIRELESS CONNECT TO THE VEHICLE'S DLC TO PERFORM TESTING WHEN NEEDED AND STILL HAVE A WIRED CONNECTION AS A BACKUP BUT WITHOUT THE PERSONALITY KEYS AND STILL BE ABLE TO DO FLASH PROGRAMING. I HAVE THE VERUS AND I USE THE BOSCH/VETRONIX VCI DEVICE TO CONNECT WHEN I NEED THE FREEDOM OF WIRES BY USEING BOSCH'S SOFTWARE AND VERUS WIFI. I SEE IT POSSIBLE FOR SNAP ON TO USE SUCH A WIRELESS DEVICE USING WIFI OR BLUETOOTH CENNECTIVITY FOR THE VERUS AND STILL USE THE DIAGNOSTIC SUITE SOFTWARE TO RUN DIAGNOSTICS. THIS WOULD BE SNAP ON'S GRATEST THING AND BLOW AWAY THE COMPETITION. OTC HAS SUCH TECHNOILGY OUT FOR BOTH PC AND HANDHELED UNITS, WHY CAN'T SNAP ON DO IT....
    Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

I have worked with the OTC Pegisys, and it is not all that it claims. If you consider that newer vehicles will be using faster communication protocols as technology progresses, the wireless standard will not be able to keep up. Also consider that every wireless device in your area is going to affect speed / reception of your device. I agree the Personality keys are sometimes a pain, but I would rather have fast acurate data than be free from a cable. I would also argue that trying to do wireless scoping of a sensor or circuit is useless, since what you are trying to see happens in mili or micro seconds, and no such technology exits in wireless standards, yet.
    S. Breland

Comment

• Tue Ta
      • Apr 2009

wireless capability

I used to be a nissan master tech, i had use nissan consult 3 with is a laptop base with bluetooth wireless VI the wireless is flawless, communication even faster than consult 2 which connected through wire, no lag when it come to communicating with the vehicle, fast enough to program through wireless.
      no interference with any other bluetooth device, only lock on to the specific coded bluetooth VI and/or MI that initial link to the scanner.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Tue Ta
        I used to be a nissan master tech, i had use nissan consult 3 with is a laptop base with bluetooth wireless VI the wireless is flawless, communication even faster than consult 2 which connected through wire, no lag when it come to communicating with the vehicle, fast enough to program through wireless.
        no interference with any other bluetooth device, only lock on to the specific coded bluetooth VI and/or MI that initial link to the scanner.
        What you say about a single manufacturer and their dedicated scan tool & software may be true BUT... how do you get a generic scanner to perform like an OE tool?? You CAN'T.

RELIABLE ACCURATE datastream is FAR MORE inportant than speed or ease of use. WRONG DATA is worse than NO data ANYTIME.

Ya, wireless might be nice but I'd rather get the CORRECT information and they're still working on THAT, along with adding in more vehicle modules and bi-directional controls. I'd rather they GET THEM RIGHT than have wireless.

Comment

• Tue Ta
          • Apr 2009

wireless

like I said, its not that wireless is not readily available and accurate, it all come down to cost....bluetooth technology is very stable and accurate now aday, snapon just need to invest in it a little more... otc scanner is not using bluetooth, they save cost by using wifi.. data accuracy is not an issue with blue tooth, snapon charge an arm and a leg for the verus, they could push a little for bluetooth, please note.. i already said blue tooth is really accurate..... it just how much snapon willing to spend to work with it.....

Comment

• kebo1970
            • Nov 2008

wireless

please explain to me how wireless will help you fix more cars. reliable info is far more important than wireless toys that don't really increase shop production. i have not heard of or know of any shop with wireless capabilities that had a 20 percent increase in shop production. take the verus; you have to spend nearly $10,000 for a machine that still needs improvements. lets get the kinks out of what we have now before we open up another can of worms(wireless). i still use the brick(7.4 update) and the vantage pro(8.4) and i still find mistakes in the software. when you drop the verus; trust me someone will, now your diagnostic capabilities are zero. not a fan of an all in one tool
            Last edited by kebo1970; 08-28-2009, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by kebo1970
              please explain to me how wireless will help you fix more cars. reliable info is far more important than wireless toys that don't really increase shop production. i have not heard of or know of any shop with wireless capabilities that had a 20 percent increase in shop production. take the verus; you have to spend nearly $10,000 for a machine that still needs improvements. lets get the kinks out of what we have now before we open up another can of worms(wireless). i still use the brick(7.4 update) and the vantage pro(8.4) and i still find mistakes in the software. when you drop the verus; trust me someone will, now your diagnostic capabilities are zero. not a fan of an all in one tool
              That is EXACTLY why I bought a Solus-Pro and a Vantage-Pro at the saame time. YA, I know I lose 2 trace lines but the relability factor is far more important to me. The total cost of the 2 was comparable to the Modis (at the time). All-in-One and wireless is only glitz-glamour-Ooh-Aah. For over a year I've been talking about completeness, accuracy and reliability of information.
              Anyone can get the wrong information for free at the corner coffee shop-LOL

Comment

• Tue Ta
                • Apr 2009

wireless

well it not the wireless that send the wrong information, it the system and the software. As we were discussing about wireless reliability, not how reliable snap on scanner system is, we can sit here for the next ten years discussing, how many faults snapon software and hardware have. if snapon make a complete scanner their engineer would be out of work

Comment

• kebo1970
                  • Nov 2008

if snap on won't make a scanner with a cord thats flawless; how can a wireless scanner with mistakes be more productive? wireless may be coming ,but the question still remains; how can a wireless scanner make you more productive? don't tell me about freedom to walk 30 feet from the vehicle and still diagnose it or diagnose a vehicle while in the office. give me an answer that will really add to the bottom line(money)!!!

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Tue Ta
                    well it not the wireless that send the wrong information, it the system and the software. As we were discussing about wireless reliability, not how reliable snap on scanner system is, we can sit here for the next ten years discussing, how many faults snapon software and hardware have. if snapon make a complete scanner their engineer would be out of work
                    Which would you prefer the software people spend their time on.... OOOOHH-GLITZ----GLAMOUR???? Or rock solid proper data & information!!!
                    Which one helps us actually FIX the car?? In fact, improper data actually COSTS US money because with the wrong information, we make wrong repair decisions, and what does that lead to?.... Wasted time, and THAT costs us and the shops and the customers money, and ultimately costs our entire industry credibility.
                    It's a matter of priorities, fixing the car, or being easy to get wrong, incomplete or inaccurate information.
                    Oh, and BTW, this discussion didn't start with wireless reliability, it started with wireles AVAILABILITY.
                    Last edited by Crusty; 08-30-2009, 12:59 AM. Reason: Additional

Comment

• 66superduty
                      • Apr 2009

for me ,i would like to have wireless. i dont like rolling my cart around, because i have a printer in the bottom, and i have a big screen in the top. if i take the verus out of the cart i have to sit in a hot car waiting for full operation mode to get going. and if i walk away for some reason i have to worry about someone running off with my verus,are damageing the cable are keys if they move a door are shut it for some reason. every new thing that has come along in the last 35 yrs has caused us who have stayed to get smater and more tech savey then the naah sayers,and that in turn gets you more productive in the long run. when something new came over the hill we all had growing pains.

Comment

• kebo1970
                        • Nov 2008

you mean to tell me that if you did'nt have to sit in a hot car waiting on the verus to boot up, you would be more productive? theft of tools has nothing to do with cords or wireless. lets be real; all i see for now with wireless is bragging rights, glitter,and glamor. i live in hou,texas and you can't get away from the heat unless you have air conditioned bays. eddisverus and 66superduty; i have no doubt you guys are fine techs but, none of what you've stated about wireless adds more free time or money to our lives. lets try one more time; HOW CAN A WIRELESS SCANNER GET A VEHICLE PROPERLY DIAGNOSED BETTER THAN ONE WITH A CORD?
                        Last edited by kebo1970; 08-30-2009, 08:22 AM.

Comment

• Tue Ta
                          • Apr 2009

wire and wireless

for automotive use wireless is pretty convienence, not too sure about the productivity, its all depend on the technician capability to diagnose the problem, does not mater how good the tool is, if the guy who use it does not know how to use it then reguardless of wire or wireless productivity will not increase. As for me, i like to have wireless capability since it allow me to walk away from the vehicle with the scan tool, don't like to sit in the vehicle.
                          I am not speaking for anyone but me here but i find wireless suit me very well, i like the freedom, and i do have a better efficiency time with wireless connectivity, and yes, me, no one else... cause i see this forum a lot of guy still love to get stuck to the vehicle they are working on.
                          one other note on wireless connectivity, i do see a future for multi vehicle connection for sensor comparation, cause dealers are heading that way.
                          ps: me, me, me..... its all about me

Comment

• Tue Ta
                            • Apr 2009

Originally posted by Crusty
                            Which would you prefer the software people spend their time on.... OOOOHH-GLITZ----GLAMOUR???? Or rock solid proper data & information!!!
                            Which one helps us actually FIX the car?? In fact, improper data actually COSTS US money because with the wrong information, we make wrong repair decisions, and what does that lead to?.... Wasted time, and THAT costs us and the shops and the customers money, and ultimately costs our entire industry credibility.
                            It's a matter of priorities, fixing the car, or being easy to get wrong, incomplete or inaccurate information.
                            Oh, and BTW, this discussion didn't start with wireless reliability, it started with wireles AVAILABILITY.
                            crusty, eventhough this thread did not start with wireles reliability, you you were the first to state that wireless is not accurate and reliable... iam just saying wireless is as reliable and as accurate wire.. and this forum is about what we want from snapon... its our wish list... we are not making snapon going into wireless, it just nice if they do... since they took my arm and my leg for their equipments

Comment

• eddiesverus
                              • Dec 2008

Originally posted by kebo1970
                              you mean to tell me that if you did'nt have to sit in a hot car waiting on the verus to boot up, you would be more productive? theft of tools has nothing to do with cords or wireless. lets be real; all i see for now with wireless is bragging rights, glitter,and glamor. i live in hou,texas and you can't get away from the heat unless you have air conditioned bays. eddisverus and 66superduty; i have no doubt you guys are fine techs but, none of what you've stated about wireless adds more free time or money to our lives. lets try one more time; HOW CAN A WIRELESS SCANNER GET A VEHICLE PROPERLY DIAGNOSED BETTER THAN ONE WITH A CORD?
                              WHAT MAKES YOU THINK WE HAVE AC IN OUR BAYS? I WISHED WE DID? THIS STATEMENT WAS SAID ONLY BECAUSE THE VERUS IS GETTING TOO HOT TO OPERATE IN A NORMAL SHOP ENVIROMENT UNDER HOOD OR SO STATED ELSEWARE IN THIS FORUM. LOOK KEBO. WE LIKE THE FREEDOM OF WIRELESS JUST BECAUSE IT DOES WORK. AND IT DOES MAKE AT LEAST ME A MORE PRODUCTIVE TECHNICIAN BECAUSE I DON'T HAVE TO FIDDLE WITH WIRES OR KEYS TO THE DLC. WHEN I GOT THE VEHICLE UP ON THE LIFT, AND I'M DIAGNOSING A O2 SENSOR OR EVAP SYSTEM PROBLEM. I'M SCOPING THE SENSOR OR SOLENOID USING THE VERUS, THEN WITH THE WIRELESS SCAN TOOL I'M COMMANDING THE SOLENOID OR O2 HEATER WHILE LOOKING FOR A RESPONSE ON THE SCOPE AND DATASTREAM, I VERIFY AND THEN I REPLACE. NOW THATS BEING PRODUCTIVE AND NO WIRE OR KEYS IS GETTING IN THE WAY OTHER THAN THE SCOPE LEADS. I'VE BEEN VERY PRODUCTIVE THIS WAY USING THE VERUS AND MY BOSCH VCI WIRELESS INTERFACE RUNNING ON THE VERUS, AND I USE MY ROLL CART WITH ALL MY LEADS AND ACCESSORIES HANDY. JUST PLUG IN THE VCI, KOEO RIASE THE VEHICLE AND START TESTING ALL WITH ONE RAISE OF THE LIFT. TEST THE ABS AS WELL WITHOUT LOWERING AND CHANGING KEYS TO ACCESS OTHER SYSTEMS, ALL DONE FROM UNDER THE VEHICLE. SO IF SNAP ON MADE SUCH A DEVICE USING BLUETOOTH AND THIER SOFTWARE, IT WOULD MAKE ALL OF US MUCH BETTER AND PRODUCTIVE. KNOWING OF COURSE HOW TO USE IT AND HAVE THE RIGHT TRAINING. ITS TRUE THAT A TECHNICIAN IS ONLY AS GOOD AS ITS TRAINING AND I AGREE THAT THE TOOL IS NOTHING IF YOU DON'T KNOW HOW TO USE IT. BUT THEN MANY TECHS THINK THEY KNOW IT ALL BUT LACK THE TRAINING. TRAINING IS THE KEY AND VERY IMPORTANT, TAKE TIME TO UPDATE YOURSELFS AND LEARN. AND TO THOSE OTC HATERS, THE PEGISYS IS A GOOD MOVE AND I SUPPORT THEM AS WELL. NO ONES MAKES A PERFECT TOOL. NOT EVEN SNAP ON. BUT I LOVE MY VERUS DESPITE ITS BUGS AND MY VCI AS WELL AS MY OLD MAC MENTOR. THEY'VE ALL MADE ME PRODUCTIVE AND MY BOSS LOTS OF MONEY$$ I HOPE THIS ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION KEBO!!.
                              Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

Working...