Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

2010 Chevy Truck Cluster Fail

Ok, so a customer brought in a Dorman instrument cluster to replace his existing one in a 2010 Silverado. The real reason he wanted it changed was for a cracked lens. Maybe cheaper to just buy a cluster from Dorman or the lens is not available from GM ? Don't know and didn't care I just remember an attempt in past to program one of these that failed and ended in a fried cluster. I let the GM dealer try the next one and he got the same result. So I smelled an opportunity here to try it again. If it failed I would just swap lenses to his cluster. I plugged in the Dorman cluster and the first thing that appeared in the message center was "programming required'. It had the correct mileage and seemed some what functional so I went to SPS to see if it could be successfully flashed. NOPE !! First I got a message that said the current software was not recognized. Made a second attempt in "setup", said that the mileage was already programmed. Made a second attempt at a getting the right software. This time I got no messages and it proceeded to flash, Made it 3/4 way through and I got the double beep of death !!!. Maybe you should program these like a Trail blazer and unplug all the other single wire can modules. Not sure but for now I would stay away from these and see if you can get a new cluster all set up from GM if you have to replace one.
    Attached Files
  • diesel71
    • Feb 2008

Bob, I thought i remember reading that the dormen clusters were pre-programed? guess not after reading your post.

Comment

• eddiesverus
      • Dec 2008

Did you select the replace and reprogram option at the beginning of the TIS setup? I've seen this error and many times it could be overwritten by the new calibrations selected. but if it still pops up then you have a defective IPC and you need to try a another one. also remember to never turn the ignition switch off when attempting to reprogram any Module when such an error appears. make sure the battery is fully charged and a proper power supply is used to maintain the battery voltage. check for any aftermarket accessories and or radio. disconnect them before attempting to reprogram or they cause interference.
      Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Yes I selected replace and reprogram option. The Dorman cluster did have a program in it, but if you look at the screen shot I posted you can see that it is not the correct one for this application. It also had the correct mileage programmed. Also after I plugged it in and on each ignition cycle "programming required" would appear in the information display. Maybe because it had a program in it I should have just selected reprogram at the beginning of the TIS setup.

Comment

• eddiesverus
          • Dec 2008

Originally posted by greasybob
          Yes I selected replace and reprogram option. The Dorman cluster did have a program in it, but if you look at the screen shot I posted you can see that it is not the correct one for this application. It also had the correct mileage programmed. Also after I plugged it in and on each ignition cycle "programming required" would appear in the information display. Maybe because it had a program in it I should have just selected reprogram at the beginning of the TIS setup.
          Sorry Bob for the late response, But I think that that IPC has a aftermarket calibration and that's why TIS didn't recognized it. I guess try to just reprogram and see what happens, if problem continues like I said before you have a Faulty IPC. Like I said before I have seen this problem at the Dealership when I have changed IPC'S as well, but I've been able to reprogram them without any problems. of course I'm using the GM MDI, don't know if that makes a difference.
          Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

Working...