Alternative to current loop fuse buddies

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maven
    • Mar 2014

Chaskuss, while Im not certified for NASA/FAA/AIAA or anything like that, Im fairly skilled at soldering as Ive been doing so since my teens with RC cars/trucks. I use only the best Kester44 solder, in .020" (or .062" for bigger stuff). This makes it MUCH more difficult to flood a joint with excessive solder, especially with all the .64-1.5mm terminals that I use daily. I solder as a backup to the crimp, to ensure as good contact between the crimp wings and the conductors as I can. I find even OEM machine crimps that look perfect often have excessive resistance and greatly benefit from a dab of solder.

PICOs fuse leads are decent quality, and I have a Jcase one that I received as a gift,(I dont use it much, its rather clunky) but their ATC/ATO leads are virtually indistinguishable from all the others on the market, except for price, they are notably more money. They are avaialbe direct fom PICO or from Autonerdz and numerous other sources.

I normally use my own Jcase adapters as well, since they are an order of magnitude less expensive than the PICO/ESI/Whoever ones, and I can make them in any design I choose, heres one I use a a power tap/feed, plugs into any Jcase fuse slot and allows to use/test the power supplied to the fuse, or supply my knwon good power to a circuit own. 18ga TXL wire, soldered to one leg of an open fuse and then sealed in.

Comment

• David Green
      • Oct 2009

Originally posted by chaskuss
      David,
      Any chance you could provide a web link for these? I could not find them on Pico's web site.

Charlie
      Hope this link helps Charlie

I've check the link Charlie and it is working OK, just scroll down to the extension leads/fuses
      Last edited by David Green; 01-07-2015, 01:22 PM. Reason: adding more information

Comment

• chaskuss
        • Dec 2009

Maven,
        Your soldering skills far surpass mine! You da man!

David, thanks for the link. I was looking under scope accessories.

Charlie

Comment

Working...