X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Low amp probing Fuel pump with a Counselor 2

Took a 20 minute drive to a friend's place I was able to get her son's 2003 Mini Cooper with a no start to start up by smacking the bottom of the gas tank, after scanning and verifying spark like I have a lot of Fords.The son had to smack the bottom of tank to get it going the next morning, so my friend decided to bring it to a nearby BMW dealer then risk driving an extra 15 minutes. The dealer could not replicate the concern , so my friend took it to me with a new fuel pump and fuel filter that I changed and I took before and after pictures of the patterns.Definitely a difference. Never mind the screen shows volts display, the pattern is from a low inductive amp probe it shows no menu for , and I should have flipped the clamp arrow direction so things aren't displayed upside down on the good pattern. Note the good pump draws a few more amps current than the bad fuel pump. Fuse is rated 20 A circuit, and I placed it in the current loop for low amp probe and removed it to take actual flow through amperage measurements with hand held meter to see the actual fuel pump draw.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Witsend; 05-03-2015, 09:13 PM.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

Wow! Just a little different.
    At least 2 bad segments right next to each other. It certainly has a good chance of stopping on the dead spot. That's why the smack on the tank gets it going again. Great pics!
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• ericsautomotive
      • Mar 2014

Found a many of GM this exact may ! !
      I also like that you 2 have a good old Counselor II. I love mine and have had it for years now.
      Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

• crackerclicker
        • May 2008

Nice job, Wits, on the waveforms and re-sizing your pictures.

Comment

Working...