Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Chevytruckman1234
    • Mar 2008

08 Caliber TCM Communication problem

Replaced trans in the above mentioned vehicle cannot clear the P167A calibration code so that it can relearn. Also RPM, TPS and various other data pids stuck will not change. RPM is at 3495 sitting still KOEO. PCM pids look ok and work just TCM. I assume that because the scanner sees this RPM it will not clear the code. Help

1B3HB48B88D527963 08 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

This a CVT ? JATCO ? Probably needs to be Flashed.

Comment

• USpMD
      • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Chevytruckman1234
      Replaced trans in the above mentioned vehicle cannot clear the P167A calibration code so that it can relearn. Also RPM, TPS and various other data pids stuck will not change. RPM is at 3495 sitting still KOEO. PCM pids look ok and work just TCM. I assume that because the scanner sees this RPM it will not clear the code. Help

1B3HB48B88D527963 08 Dodge Caliber SXT 2.0
      hey, small world, I just tried the same thing , same vehicle except 07, P167A requires erase data that TCM inhales from PCM and ABS, my vehicle already had the latest update calibration, no fuction in scanner to command erase so relearn can take place, I dont have a Chrysler tool, called SN tech support, they stated they would add it to the list of requested enhancements, for this car the shop owner had just installed a trans remaned from chrysler, I had to refer him to the dealer
      "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• USpMD
        • Oct 2010

HERES THE REQUIRED RELEARN PROCEEDURE FROM CHRYSLER

INITIAL LEARN (BRAND-NEW MODULE, MEMORY ALREADY CLEAR)
        Battery must be connected. If the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is to be configured, configure the TIPM and then turn ignition key to OFF/LOCKED briefly, then back to RUN. The shifter must be in PARK or NEUTRAL, engine not running.

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN for 4 seconds to allow reading of new values.
        2. Turn ignition key to OFF/LOCKED for 2 seconds to allow storing new values in EEROM.
        3. Turn the ignition key to RUN, with scan tool clear DTCs.
        4. Turn ignition key to OFF/LOCKED for 2 seconds.
        5. After at least 7 seconds, read DTCs.
        6. If DTCs resets (Refer to 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic - CVT - Diagnosis and Testing)

RELEARN, AFTER REPLACING A TRANSAXLE
        1. Turn ignition key to RUN.
        2. Clear learning memory using the scan tool.
        3. Turn the ignition key to OFF/LOCKED for 2 seconds.
        4. Turn the ignition key to RUN Clear DTCs.
        5. Turn the ignition key to OFF/LOCKED for 2 seconds.
        6. Turn ignition key to RUN.
        7. After at least 7 seconds, read DTCs.
        8. If DTCs resets (Refer to 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic - CVT - Diagnosis and Testing)

I dont know why Chrysler would sell a reman Transmission without clearing the EEROM in the trans!!
        "I wanna help the helpless, but I could careless about the clueless". Dennis Miller

Comment

• USpMD
          • Oct 2010

Originally posted by USpMD
          HERES THE REQUIRED RELEARN PROCEEDURE FROM CHRYSLER

INITIAL LEARN (BRAND-NEW MODULE, MEMORY ALREADY CLEAR)
          Battery must be connected. If the Totally Integrated Power Module (TIPM) is to be configured, configure the TIPM and then turn ignition key to OFF/LOCKED briefly, then back to RUN. The shifter must be in PARK or NEUTRAL, engine not running.

1. Turn the ignition key to RUN for 4 seconds to allow reading of new values.
          2. Turn ignition key to OFF/LOCKED for 2 seconds to allow storing new values in EEROM.
          3. Turn the ignition key to RUN, with scan tool clear DTCs.
          4. Turn ignition key to OFF/LOCKED for 2 seconds.
          5. After at least 7 seconds, read DTCs.
          6. If DTCs resets (Refer to 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic - CVT - Diagnosis and Testing)

RELEARN, AFTER REPLACING A TRANSAXLE
          1. Turn ignition key to RUN.
          2. Clear learning memory using the scan tool.
          3. Turn the ignition key to OFF/LOCKED for 2 seconds.
          4. Turn the ignition key to RUN Clear DTCs.
          5. Turn the ignition key to OFF/LOCKED for 2 seconds.
          6. Turn ignition key to RUN.
          7. After at least 7 seconds, read DTCs.
          8. If DTCs resets (Refer to 21 - Transmission and Transfer Case/Automatic - CVT - Diagnosis and Testing)

I dont know why Chrysler would sell a reman Transmission without clearing the EEROM in the trans!!
          I have also heard you can swap out the EEROM from the old valve body and not require a relearn, havent tried this, they say it looks like a little black box

Comment

• Chevytruckman1234
            • Mar 2008

That would be great if I could clear the code. The Verus is reading the trans is going at 3400 rpm when the key is on. So this will not allow me to clear the code to do the relearn as it thinks the car is moving. I am assuming that this is a software error as the PCM is fine and reading correctly. I have researched this further and found no aftermarket tool can do this. SO please fix this allow us to work on this vehicle correctly.

Comment

• Earl Davis
              • Jan 2009

I recently had the same problem with one of these vehicles and none of the above mentioned procedures worked.

The Witech would not initialize the new trans either. I had to perform a vehicle reconfiguration to complete the repair and get rid of this code.

Comment

• USpMD
                • Oct 2010

Originally posted by Earl Davis
                I recently had the same problem with one of these vehicles and none of the above mentioned procedures worked.

The Witech would not initialize the new trans either. I had to perform a vehicle reconfiguration to complete the repair and get rid of this code.
                Please explain!

Comment

• Earl Davis
                  • Jan 2009

The vehicle reconfiguration is done with the dealer level scan tool. The Star Scan, Star Mobile or Witech can be used to complete this procedure. You need a subscription for programming to complete the vehicle reconfiguration. I think I may have some screen shots of this procedure, I will post them if I can find them.

The service information says to reinitialize the trans with the factory tool when a new unit is installed, however, this did not work for me with the Witech.

Earl

Comment

• USpMD
                    • Oct 2010

Ok, I found it, it looks like this
                    The Restore Vehicle Configuration routine is located under the Diagnostic Procedures Tab. (See screenshots below.) This FAQ assumes that you have logged into DealerCONNECT, as this procedure requires a valid connection to the DealerCONNECT service.

•From the vehicle Topology Screen, navigate through the tabs at the bottom of the page.
                    •Select Diagnostic Procedures.

•When the Restore Vehicle Configuration box pops up, click 'Continue' to begin the process.
                    •Follow all prompts to successfully complete
                    Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

So reflashing the TCM will not reconfigure it ? This goes back to my question cocerning reflashing to the same calibration. What I found with Chryslers is that the rfflashing program will show " no new calibrations found, cannot proceed", but if continue to prmopt it to reflash at about the 5th attempt it will ask you if you would like to proceed with flashing to the same calibration and as far as I can tell it erases and reprogams. Maybe reflashing the TCM is not supported through the regular J2534 subscription for this vehicle ?

Comment

• chucksauto
                        • Mar 2013

I know this is an old thread but I am dealing with one of these now. I have a 2009 patriot with the same issue. The vehicle reconfigure option mentioned looks like is available for the 2010 and up. So is there an application that will allow a non-chrysler j2532 tool to perform the vehicle reconfiguration? I'm using a cardaq-m. Will the Chrysler tool actually perform this function on the 2009 and older vehicles? Will a new TCM solve this problem?

Comment

• eddie8
                          • Mar 2008

Originally posted by USpMD
                          Ok, I found it, it looks like this
                          The Restore Vehicle Configuration routine is located under the Diagnostic Procedures Tab. (See screenshots below.) This FAQ assumes that you have logged into DealerCONNECT, as this procedure requires a valid connection to the DealerCONNECT service.

•From the vehicle Topology Screen, navigate through the tabs at the bottom of the page.
                          •Select Diagnostic Procedures.

•When the Restore Vehicle Configuration box pops up, click 'Continue' to begin the process.
                          •Follow all prompts to successfully complete

I had to do this last week on a 06 dodge dakota that had a rebuilt trans installed. The factory tool will work on these but the j2534 will not. Remember, the j2534 will only flash a pcm or tcm. it will not do reconfigs or flash other modules. A complete vehicle reconfiguration is going through all the modules on the vehicle, checking cal files and vin#'s. Hope this helps.
                          Edwin Hazzard
                          Southeast Mobile Tech

Comment

Working...