Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Sternall
    • Aug 2019

2018 Camaro, GM SPS software failure on replace and reprogram ECM

The 2018 Camaro's ECM and TCM were destroyed in a front end collision, both were replaced with new units from GM. Using the J2535 Pass-through tool, I subscribed with the VIN # to GM SPS service to reprogram the new ECM with the correct settings and write the VIN to it. All went well on the upload to the new ECM till the bar graph hit 100% and it then failed with reprogram error. The scanner gave a P0630 error code which is no VIN written to ECM. When I tried to repeat the process to get the VIN into the ECM, the GM SPS software told me that the new ECM settings were at the latest revision level and that I was not allowed to reflash the same revision level. So it appears that the latest settings wrote to my new ECM, but the VIN # of the Camaro body did not. I need help in getting the VIN number into the new ECU, or erase the setting that are saved in there already so I can at least try again.
    Hope someone out there is familiar with the latest GM SPS system and new GM Global programmable ECUs used after model year 2016.
    Mark Sternall
  • Glide
    • Jan 2015

I would recommend calling ACDelco help line.If you give them the programming error number they can tell you what it means.

Comment

• Sternall
      • Aug 2019

The Error was simply,"unknown programming error".
      I talked to GM support but they refuse to help because the car has a salvage Brand on it. The salvage Brand can be rebuilt and put on the road agin in Canada.
      Mark Sternall

Comment

• Glide
        • Jan 2015

OK,then I'll try to help.I've never heard of anyone having success reflashing a previously flashed (as yours is now) Global module.
        You haven't given many details.What interface did you use to flash this module?Is there any VIN now in this ECM?

Comment

• Sternall
          • Aug 2019

It was a brand new ECM PN# 12692070 bought from GM with no VIN entered. I am using a VXdiag J2534 Pass through device, from my PCs USB port to the Camaro's ALDL port. My PC is online to AC Delco's SPS software for my VIN #1G1FH1R78J0114654. My scanner is now giving a P0630 ECM code,"VIN not entered or incompatible". When I tried to reflash the ECM with SPS, SPS read the ECM came back and said the setting were up to date and I was therefore not allowed to reflash the ECM. I have been able to use the J2534 device and SPS to check and/or reflash other modules on the CAN bus.
          Any help you can offer me is greatly appreciated.
          Mark Sternall

Comment

• Glide
            • Jan 2015

I'm not familiar with VXdiag,and I don't see it on GM supported passthru devices,but if it works for the other modules it should work for ECM.You didn't answer my main question,when you look at VIN in ECM with a scan tool,does it show any VIN?

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
              • Apr 2011

Sounds like you're using the Reprogram option. Which would give you that error since SPS won't let you reprogram the PCM with the same calibration. Dumb question, have you tried using the other option which is replace? Again, I read your posts and you haven't mentioned that, so I'm suggesting it.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                • Apr 2011

Another Tip, I always have problems with GM if I don't have voltage supply being constantly fed to the car. I have stopped going to places that don't have a Charger that supplies 14v. After I did this, I haven't had a problem with programming.

Comment

• XmOnline
                  • Aug 2019

This problem is not difficult to solve, you can write VIN through DPS offline program

This problem is not difficult to solve, you can write VIN through DPS offline programming.

Comment

• Sternall
                    • Aug 2019

My scan tool shows 17 blank spaces where the VIN should be. So there is no VIN saved in the ECM yet. GM's SPS reads the ECM and says that the settings saved are the latest calibration and therefore I'm not allowed to reflash it. Its a catch 22 situation.

What is DPS offline programming, and will it work on a 2018 new GM Global ECM system?
                    Mark Sternall

Comment

• Glide
                      • Jan 2015

If there is no VIN,you should be able to select Replace and Program ECM(K20) and manually enter the VIN.Did you do that the first time you attempted to flash the ECM?
                      Before you do that make sure that all grounds have been connected after the accident damage.P0630 can also be caused by lack of grounds to ECM.

Comment

• Sternall
                        • Aug 2019

I have been using replace and reprogram ECM in the SPS menu. If I try it again now it reads the ECM and comes back and says all ECU settings are at most recent calibration and therefore a reflash is not allowed.

The 2 ECM ground wires on the ECM connectors ohm straight to frame ground, at 0 ohms. Thanks for the ideas.
                        Mark Sternall

Comment

• Glide
                          • Jan 2015

Too bad. Modules on Global architecture vehicles only allow one VIN,apparantly your ECM thinks that blank spaces is a VIN.I don't know any other way around it.Sorry that I can't be of more help.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                            • Apr 2011

You can try to unplug the ECM as it tries to read the VIN? Maybe then SPS will allow you to write the VIN again by reflashing it. Just throwing odd suggestions.

Comment

Working...