Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

Diesel EGR cleaning

Has anyone had any experience with SO's EEDF400 diesel egr cleaning system?? I have been getting a lot of Ram cummins egr soot related problems lately, ie. VGT turbos not responding. I was just curious how effective this system is and if it keeps these VGT turbos from packing up with soot. Thanks in advance everyone.
  • Matt
    • Dec 2008

Ok, I went ahead and ordered the EEDF400 from my snap-on rep. I got it a couple days ago and found out that none of the adapters come with the EEDF400. I was under the impression, based on some images, that it did. Anyways, I am in the process of ordering adapters for duramax, cummins, and powerstrokes. When I get everything I need and can complete an egr clean procedure, I will post the results and let everyone know how it works.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Is there an easy access point to remove some thread in or bolt on adapter spot to introduce the cleaning solution and also verify before and after results with a bore scope, sewer camera or Port Cargo video scope? Do you use the DPF cleaning solution sold at auto parts stores or something else? Do you typically wait for a Prius to get behind you before you start these cleaning procedures?

Comment

• Brendan626
        • Oct 2015

6.0 results.

Cool, I would be interested in the 6.0 Powerstroke results. We get some of those.
        I have run diesel system cleaners through early to mid '80's Mercedes diesels then perform a carbon tailpipe blasting procedure on the freeway, turn day in to night.

Comment

• Brendan626
          • Oct 2015

VGT{variable geometry turbo}

I think we had a failed turbo for power loss on one of those 5.9's a while back. They have air filter problems too. Oil changes are critical, recommend synthetic, there is a solenoid or actuator that fails. There was a service bulletin from Dodge on issues for those, might wanna check iatn or identifix for that if you want more info.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Cool, I would be interested in the 6.0 Powerstroke results. We get some of those.
            I have run diesel system cleaners through early to mid '80's Mercedes diesels then perform a carbon tailpipe blasting procedure on the freeway, turn day in to night.
            LMFAO, always was fun, Rolling Cotton clearing out the coolant in the exhaust systems after Ford 3.8 head gasket jobs in the early 90's.
            Someday somebody is going to be in front of The Wrong @sshole in a Prius.
            We will have to buy something like $8000 Snappy EPA-BS 400A-1A Exhaust Scrubber on wheels . Basically a small trailer with a monnoxy vent hose clamped to tail pipe ran to a gutted out waterheater with 6 shower heads inside with another water tank with a gas motor and pump to supply a fine water spray. Basically it will put a stop the billowing clouds but turn the road into a greasy ice skating rink , so be just as entertaining looking behind you after a curve in the road.

Comment

• Brendan626
              • Oct 2015

Patent

That's a great idea. You need to patent that.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Matt
                Ok, I went ahead and ordered the EEDF400 from my snap-on rep. I got it a couple days ago and found out that none of the adapters come with the EEDF400. I was under the impression, based on some images, that it did. Anyways, I am in the process of ordering adapters for duramax, cummins, and powerstrokes. When I get everything I need and can complete an egr clean procedure, I will post the results and let everyone know how it works.
                I ordered one as well, with a truck adapter kit. I'm curious to see how it does.
                Joe
                "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                Henry Ford

Comment

• Matt
                  • Dec 2008

I had an 2007 GMC Sierra 3500 classic come in the shop last week with EGR flow related DTC's, and thought here's my chance to put the EEDF400 to work for the first time. Well, that was not really the case and here's why. Pre-08 duramaxes do not have a EGR cooler temp sender, which prevents direct access to the EGR system. Ideally EEDF400 introduces the detergent through the intake AND EGR side. The EEDF400 system uses different adapters that require you to remove certain engine sensors which the adapters are then attached in their place. In this specific application, without access to the EGR cooler directly, I was only able to add detergent through the intake side, which did not clean the plugged EGR system. Ultimately I ended up removing the EGR cooler and valve so I could clean them by hand.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

I'm sure the results of digging it all out by hand, got it all out.

I know the carbon that cokes up in EGR passages on gas engine cars is some pretty tough stuff that I can't envision any detergent in a flush machine working to really unblock things for very long
                    Reminds me of dealership selling transmission fluid exchange on a 100k mile car with a flush machine that, we all know if it were our own car, it would be way better if able to, to drop the pan , and by hand change the restricted filter, and clean the inside of the pan and magnets off.

Comment

• Matt
                      • Dec 2008

slow but sure

My small shop does not process a large volume of vehicles so diesel EGR/induction cleaning opportunities aren't that frequent, hence the delayed post in this thread. Anyways I just completed my first 6.7L cummins cleaning and all went well. The adapters for the cummins came with instructions that had really good pictures and the procedure was straight forward. Easier than the duramax. Vehicle did not regenerate after the cleaning and live dpf data indicated no increase in pressure.

Comment

• Matt
                        • Dec 2008

Attempted to perform a EGR clean on a 2014 RAM 6.7L cummins. EGR components on this year are updated/different than my current EEDF400 adapters for the 2008 6.7L cummins. I call my SO rep and asked why I couldn't find any compatible adapters for a '14 cummins on SOs website. He stated SO killed the EEDF400 due to lack of sales. Good while it lasted I guess. Anybody know if other brands offered similar products to clean diesel EGR systems? I'm just kind of bummed this investment is no longer serviced.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                          Snap-on DSD
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Matt
                          Attempted to perform a EGR clean on a 2014 RAM 6.7L cummins. EGR components on this year are updated/different than my current EEDF400 adapters for the 2008 6.7L cummins. I call my SO rep and asked why I couldn't find any compatible adapters for a '14 cummins on SOs website. He stated SO killed the EEDF400 due to lack of sales. Good while it lasted I guess. Anybody know if other brands offered similar products to clean diesel EGR systems? I'm just kind of bummed this investment is no longer serviced.
                          I'm pretty sure they are still available, just not through Snap-on. That tool was made by an outside company and sold by Snap-on. I'll try to find out where it might still be available.
                          Joe
                          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                          Henry Ford

Comment

• Matt
                            • Dec 2008

Thank you.

Comment

• DtechJon
                              • Apr 2015

you can purchase the same diesel egr system cleaner from terraclean.net they specialize in diesel carbon busting products. Your egr cleaning system is still serviced even though SO gave up on them. Check out motorvac.com for all the accessories and fittings. I got one of these about a year ago only because we only work on diesels here and I cant even count how many times I have used it...it seems to work better on dodge ram 6.7 and the service is meant to keep the passages clear not unplug years of neglect in one service.

Comment

Working...