X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

OBD 1 and graphing capabilities

I remember that older OBD 1 cars used to just spit out the lamp flash out and numeric codes , that you then had to use a meter to do the pinpoint tests to verify circuits and determine sensor outputs.
    Later on car manufacturers engine controllers allowed monitoring live data late 80s. I have a MT 2500 with out back lighting or graphing and forgot whether or not all the later Snap On scanners with back lighting and color graphing allows you to graph data pids of all the later OBD1 cars (that have live data capability) or graphing isn't an option on any OBD1 stuff. I had a Solus , and forgot, don't recall trying to graph scanner data of OBD 1 car.
  • GM guy
    • Dec 2006

I believe MTG2500 was first to graph pids.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

My question is not what was the first Snap On Scanner that was able to graph data , but whether or not all the Snap On Scanners that do offer graphing , do they offer that graphing capability to graph Pre 1996 OBD1 cars( the later decade of OBD1 years from mid 80's to 95 that you are able to view live data or not? Just OBD2 96 and up?

Comment

• STURNER
        • Oct 2014

I use a Solus ultra with a obd1 adapter to graph pre 96 cars. If that helps.

Comment

• Wheel
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
          I remember that older OBD 1 cars used to just spit out the lamp flash out and numeric codes , that you then had to use a meter to do the pinpoint tests to verify circuits and determine sensor outputs.
          Later on car manufacturers engine controllers allowed monitoring live data late 80s. I have a MT 2500 with out back lighting or graphing and forgot whether or not all the later Snap On scanners with back lighting and color graphing allows you to graph data pids of all the later OBD1 cars (that have live data capability) or graphing isn't an option on any OBD1 stuff. I had a Solus , and forgot, don't recall trying to graph scanner data of OBD 1 car.
          any that can graph can graph obd1 also. Even with YOUR brick there were programs available to download your data movie captured on your scanner onto a computer and graph them out.
          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Hmmm, never ever tried using my MT2500 movie function. So with a good 9v battery ,right on the scanner itself I should still at least be able to push record and play back a few seconds of recorded movie ( data pid display activity ) after I push Y ,pull car to side of road, and select play back movie , and maybe see If something in data looks out of range?

Comment

• Bodageta1995
              • Jun 2019

MT2500 Movie Function

Where do I find the setting or button to record a movie on the MT2500 and where to play it back?

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                Snap-on DSD
                • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Bodageta1995
                Where do I find the setting or button to record a movie on the MT2500 and where to play it back?
                It's been a long time since I ran one, but I believe the movie record button is in the data sub menu. View live data, hit the N button once and it might be there. Once in record mode it will grab 75% of the movie before you hit the button and 25% after. 200 frames of data if i remember right.
                If it's not in the data sub menu, look around. You'll find it. There aren't that many menus on the brick.
                Joe
                "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                Henry Ford

Comment

• Jeepwalker
                  • Apr 2013

- There was Gra-fix Plus software back in the day which you could run on an older 32bit laptop (like XP), then connect a MT2500 to the laptop via a MT2500-500 serial cable and graph out data. I believe one could do 'live data' with it also. You can still buy Gra-fix Plus for $99, do a Google search for Gra-fix Plus. Also check the manual below. I haven't outputted live data so plz verify.

- MTG2500s' graphing capability produces small graphs which are difficult to read, they really aren't that good even for reference purposes. I have an MTG and rarely use the graphing feature other than to have fun and try it. The scanner locking up sometimes is an issue too. But it does work on the MTG's, just limited in comparison to graphs newer scanners can show b/c of their larger LCD screens. Probably why the MTG's didn't catch on very well. Plus, remember it's data the computer reads or interprets. MT2500s responsiveness is very quick compared to the sluggishness of MTG's ...but the backlit screen is great for dark or night time use. I use my MTG a lot b/c of the backlit screen. But no comparison, MT's are quicker to use.

Solus Pro's can be bought for $300 and produce better and more usable graphs. Ultras better still. Ultras are going for $700-ish on up.

Here's a link to a manual that has Graphing scanner info too (Euro but should be the same):
                  Last edited by Jeepwalker; 10-09-2019, 07:57 AM.

Comment

Working...