Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jm43130
    • Apr 2008

Witsend

Was just wondering why I hadn't seen any comments from Witsend lately, and low and behold, I see he was banned. Is he permanently banned? Or for just awhile? I miss his illogical comments.
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

And you have to wonder what exact line he stepped over.

Comment

• Modis500
      • Sep 2012

Funny thing, i was just thinking this exact thing to start a thread about. I don't mind seeing guys give their two cents on most subjects, but ALL OF THEM??? Seriously man. I don't know what got him canned, maybe the mod's were just a bit tired of seeing him chime in on every single thread.....

Just my own two cents.
      "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
      Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
        Funny thing, i was just thinking this exact thing to start a thread about. I don't mind seeing guys give their two cents on most subjects, but ALL OF THEM??? Seriously man. I don't know what got him canned, maybe the mod's were just a bit tired of seeing him chime in on every single thread.....

Just my own two cents.
        Maybe his "mods" er "meds" got a little out of hand....
        He was a colourful character. Didn't agree with everything he posted but it sure was entertaining...LMAO

Comment

• Modis500
          • Sep 2012

Hey Crusty! Long time since I've heard from you, how you been?
          Yeah, Wits was always adding some comment that made you question if he was on Meds, or if he should've been!
          Who knows, he'll probably be here again under a new pseudonym!

Tom
          Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

That guy sure is a character. While he had some crazy posts he was never really a jerk to anyone. He did, on occasion, post some stuff that was pretty far out of bounds though. We had to explain him to a few new-comers when he would reply to their posts too. I don't believe he owned a Snap-on scanner, which made it kinda curious that he spent so much time here, but I was glad to have him around. He is certainly one of a kind.
            Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• GypsyR
              • Jul 2017

I understand he had and happily used a brick, an MT2500.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Hey Crusty! Long time since I've heard from you, how you been?
                Yeah, Wits was always adding some comment that made you question if he was on Meds, or if he should've been!
                Who knows, he'll probably be here again under a new pseudonym!

Tom
                Good to see you're still around.
                He posted some stuff probably just to "stir the pot" and then laugh about where the feathers flew.
                Since SnapOn won't tell us why, we can only hypothesise why he was "banned".
                Brings to question the "censorship" issue. Sure, some things are out of bounds as joe says, but, since they won't tell anyone, I for one, am sceptical that it could have been they didn't like his references to other make scan tools & equioment.
                I think that is wrong philosophically. The SnapOn equipment SHOULD be capable of standing under the scrutiny of comparison and if it can't, then, well, it shouldn't be allowed to stand at all.
                Freedom of speech & expression and truth are at stake.

Comment

• Modis500
                  • Sep 2012

Brings to question the "censorship" issue. Sure, some things are out of bounds as joe says, but, since they won't tell anyone, I for one, am sceptical that it could have been they didn't like his references to other make scan tools & equioment.
                  I think that is wrong philosophically. The SnapOn equipment SHOULD be capable of standing under the scrutiny of comparison and if it can't, then, well, it shouldn't be allowed to stand at all.
                  Freedom of speech & expression and truth are at stake.[/QUOTE]

Well said. Who's to know what happened. I'm the kind of guy who wants to come into a thread and look for answers and post when I see fit where i can help guide someone or give a definitive answer. What I don't want to see is the same person giving his/her two cents on EVERY post. That gets very annoying, like the know it all in school that had to say something everytime a question was brought forth. Anyways, glad to see all the regulars are still on here and I'm glad to be back surfing the threads for answers to some of my own questions

Tom
                  Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Freedom of speech & expression and truth are at stake.
                    Well said. Who's to know what happened. I'm the kind of guy who wants to come into a thread and look for answers and post when I see fit where i can help guide someone or give a definitive answer. What I don't want to see is the same person giving his/her two cents on EVERY post. That gets very annoying, like the know it all in school that had to say something everytime a question was brought forth. Anyways, glad to see all the regulars are still on here and I'm glad to be back surfing the threads for answers to some of my own questions

Tom[/QUOTE]

Hi Tom. As Joe mentioned, he never peed in anyone's corn flakes. He was just outspoken. while his post may be there, we didn't HAVE to read it.
                    As for reading, Apparently the lady who owns Chapters Book stores is Jewish, yet she did NOT ban the sale of Mein Kampf in her stores.
                    On forums such as these, as long as the discussion doesn't degrade to snarky insinuations or personal attacks, which become "irksome" (lmao), then differences of opinion should be welcomed.
                    Sometimes a very good idea comes from even the most inexperienced person.
                    I used to tell my apprentice what my mentor said to me...
                    "A good idea is a good idea, regardless of whether it comes from a first year apprentice or a licensed tradesman with 40 years of experience. A good idea is still a good idea".
                    Without freedom of speech, the good ideas would never see the light of day.

Comment

• Steve6911
                      • Feb 2007

Witsend was Banned because he broke one or more of the rules in Terms of service. https://www.snapon.com/diagnostics/u...ech/AATTOS.htm

Exactly what he did is between him and Snap-on and is no one else's business.
                      Think about it, if you did something wrong would you want it posted all over a public forum? As for the "censorship" theory, that is 100% incorrect, his references as well as any one else's about other make equipment is a very important tool for Snap-on. The powers that be NEED to see what people out in the field need and want, if another make tool has that and S.O. tools don't, posts containing that information is one of the ways they find out. As one of Snap-on's beta testers I have posted MANY times in the internal forums that another tool had a needed function or Data PID that my S.O. tools did not. Didn't matter if it was the OE tool or another aftermarket tool like the Autel. So, if anyone wants to post about other tools having needed functions or PIDs that S.O. tools don't, or you feel another make tools is better, for what ever reason, post away, you will not be banned.

Steve

Comment

• GypsyR
                        • Jul 2017

The only reason I complain here about Snap On's tools is that I like them. If I didn't, I'd trade them in on another brand and then go complain wherever appropriate for THAT brand.

But anyway, as a moderator on another forum, I've had to explain my view of "censorship" a bit. Strictly speaking, censorship is only related to the government. This forum, that forum, and the other forum are privately owned. Like your house. If I come to your house and insist on cursing out your children and grandma you are not infringing upon my freedom of speech by kicking me out of your house because I won't stop. Kind of like that.

So though we hope what Steve said is in force, no one gets kicked for bad mouthing the sponsor, it is certainly within their rights to do so if they want. Just saying. Also we should understand there are limits. Crazed foaming-at-the-mouth types exist and must be dealt with. Regardless of the basis of their opinions they can be detrimental to the health of the forum.

Being a moderator ain't much fun. And by the way, what's posted above is about all the justification I've ever felt I had to share as one. With whatever appropriate variations: "This person broke the clearly posted rules repeatedly after being warned, and therefore are no longer here." So I'd say Steve seems to be doing a pretty good job.

Comment

• Modis500
                          • Sep 2012

Thanks for the clarification guys. As far as venting about an issue, I tend to do that myself and let too many opinions or thoughts come out at the same time. I was in no way saying Witsend should have kept his opinion, and I'm glad he chimed in on many topics. Crusty, thanks for the insight on this. Yes, I could have very easily side-stepped many of his posts, which many of them, I did. And yes, it is his right to chime in where he sees fit. I apologize if I was too forthright about my thoughts on him, seeing as he isn't here to defend himself. Like I've said many times before, glad to be a part of this group and the ideas and ideology of fixing cars in a smarter way, regardless of whether a seasoned vet or a rookie brings an idea to the table. As far as censorship, I don't like to get into that topic....touchy subject as EVERYONE will have a thought on that and we could be here ALL DAY! We've got no time for that, cars to fix

Have a good day,

Tom
                          Zig Ziglar

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                            • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Steve6911
                            Witsend was Banned because he broke one or more of the rules in Terms of service. https://www.snapon.com/diagnostics/u...ech/AATTOS.htm

Exactly what he did is between him and Snap-on and is no one else's business.
                            Think about it, if you did something wrong would you want it posted all over a public forum? As for the "censorship" theory, that is 100% incorrect, his references as well as any one else's about other make equipment is a very important tool for Snap-on. The powers that be NEED to see what people out in the field need and want, if another make tool has that and S.O. tools don't, posts containing that information is one of the ways they find out. As one of Snap-on's beta testers I have posted MANY times in the internal forums that another tool had a needed function or Data PID that my S.O. tools did not. Didn't matter if it was the OE tool or another aftermarket tool like the Autel. So, if anyone wants to post about other tools having needed functions or PIDs that S.O. tools don't, or you feel another make tools is better, for what ever reason, post away, you will not be banned.

Steve
                            Well snap on needs to clean there ears out then doesnt seem like there listening.If anyone wants to contact witsend hes on the autel scanner forums.

Comment

Working...