Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 737mechanic
    • Sep 2016

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
    This is an incorrect assumption. There is a big difference in unlocking a test that is resident in a PCM, and flash programming new lines of code into a PCM.

Also, as soon as you change something from an OEM setting to one you've invented, you assume liabilities too. Guys that write the programmers that reflash aftermarket tire sizes into ABS controllers don't have legal departments that advise them not to do these things, and also have relatively little to lose when they are sued by the manufacturer or end user. No way would a big company expose themselves to a liability like that.

Like Crusty, I'd prefer coverage that was closer to OEM than I would the addition of stuff like this. Not that it wouldn't be nice to have, but it's not going to happen. There's bigger fish to fry.

Joe
    The DRB3 has a other "option" under pinion factor that lets you input anything from 400 to 900 revs/mile and that equates to roughly a 23in to a 47in. tire.

All I am saying is if you look at almost any 4wd jeep or truck they end up getting over sized tires eventually. There should be an option in a scan tool with "OEM" level functions to correct the speedo and shift points to make the truck or car's speedo correct so not only will the shift points be accurate but the anti lock and traction control will work closer to the way they should.

The 10 or so factory tire sizes that snap on did add is just preset pinion factors. All they would need to do is write a small amount of code that allows the end user "You and Me" to input that value instead. It really would be that easy.

Talking about assumptions, do you know for a fact or are you assuming snap-on's legal department has told them not to add that function?

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Talking about assumptions, do you know for a fact or are you assuming snap-on's legal department has told them not to add that function?
      The Big Auto Companies all tell Snap On what they can and cannot put on their scan tools and how high to jump and do as they are told otherwise they won't get a piece of the potential specialty tools OE manufacturers need to dream up required something new that could have been engineered to be simpler to service with tools that already exist.
      I just wish China would tell whatever company builds Sh@t in China , After 3 to 5 years everything will have to conform to OBD4, univeral dumbing down and simplify and all modules to be plug and play again by simple code edits by scantool and the OE sites download the rest data to the respective vehicles for $1 per module.

Comment

• phill57
        • Oct 2007

Wish List

Originally posted by Wheel
        Has Snap On addressed this concern in 16.2 concerning the scope presets ?
        Hello Wheel

Sorry but I haven't got 16.2 or 4 yet but I am pretty sure they have not addressed these lost capabilities nor made any improvements to the work order management or printing.

Lets hope

Comment

• SnapOnKid
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by 737mechanic
          Custom tire size so the people who have bigger than stock tires can have correct shift points and speedometer readings that are correct and accurate.
          Should be possible because there are companies like hypertech that make $200.00 programmers that let you set tire sizes up to 44" and lets you change gear ratio's also. So surely if a company like hypertech can sell a $200.00 programmer that can do it snap on can add a custom option that lets you select a tire diameter or have tire sizes listed that go up to at least 35" which is a very popular tire size on many 4wd jeeps and trucks.
          Some OE manufacturers already have this in there scan tool software.
          Snap On has added it on some car lines.

Some of the GM as well as the Dodge stuff have this capability As it affects shift points as well as the ABS sensitivity.

Snap On only has whatever sizes the OE manufacturer approves and has in there software.

The newer cars say 2005-up need this for TPMS to function properly.

As mentioned though it is in the Snap on Software on some car lines. If you know of a specific Vehicle that does not have this function in the latest Snap on software update, please advise with specific details.

Also Be prepared to show that it is a function in the OE manufactures tool as well.

Otherwise the customer will need to purchase a cheap handheld device like you mentioned. They spend thousands on lifts with Rims and Tires so it should be a drop in the bucket for them.

Comment

• 737mechanic
            • Sep 2016

SnapOnKid: You are correct that snap-on has it on some makes. Even Volkswagen cars you can calibrate the speedometer.

Some guys tried to say snap-on won't add it for liability reasons so they just add the factory tire sizes that the OEM scan tool has but the DRB3 has the feature for oversized tires for Chrysler and Jeep but snap-on has only added the factory tire sizes at least for jeep not sure about Chrysler I will have to check that but out of any vehicles Snap-On should add the feature for Jeep and as many 4wd trucks as possible for the simple fact that there are so many 4wd vehicles that get lifted and oversized tires installed and a lot of people just live with the speedo being off and not ever realizing their shift point are not right and their traction control isn't going to work right when needed including the antilock brakes. And if the TMPS needs correct info that is going to be inaccurate so there are many reasons to have a tool that can correct that and bring a few more dollars into a shop, after all the ONLY reason a shop buys a scan tool like the Verus is to make money.

The feature would be very handy and useful on any high end OE level scan tool and since the verus is the highest priced scan tool on the market it should have simple features like that.

Comment

• sbreland73
              • Jan 2009

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
              As mentioned though it is in the Snap on Software on some car lines. If you know of a specific Vehicle that does not have this function in the latest Snap on software update, please advise with specific details.

Also Be prepared to show that it is a function in the OE manufactures tool as well.

Otherwise the customer will need to purchase a cheap handheld device like you mentioned. They spend thousands on lifts with Rims and Tires so it should be a drop in the bucket for them.
              Agreed. If a function is not in the OE tool, it's not there. The vehicle owner decided to "modify" their ride deviating from factory design, then the owner should assume responsibility, or the shop that agreed to do the modified work.
              S. Breland

Comment

• 737mechanic
                • Sep 2016

But in this case the function IS in the factory tool. BTW snap-on DOES have functions in their tool that ARE NOT in the factory tools so that thought doesn't make much since.

It truly amazes me of the willingness of people to want to limit their machine from performing a certain useful function and to justify why it SHOULDN'T be there. Simply unbelievable to me.

You guys keep talking about liability. So how would snap on be liable for anything if they put that function in their scanner to allow the speedometer to read RIGHT. Maybe the mechanic that screwed up and entered the wrong value might have some liability on his end which by the way he already has because he could simply enter the wrong tire size that is already in the scanner currently.

Also talking about factory tire sizes of course you realize the manufactures DO expect people to put tires sizes other than what was offered on the vehicle as is evident because ALL the stock computers are able to except a tire size values other than what came on the vehicle. If manufactures was so dead set against people correcting the speedometer for oversized tires they would build into their computers a MAX that you could not go over. OH wait they already do that too. the max for a Chrysler computer is approximately a 47in. tall tire. But the factory never offered a 47in tall tire on their ram 1500 so WHY would the factory computer be able to except a value for a 47in tire and the snap on scanner is incapable of letting us use the limits built into the FACTORY computer.

BTW do you guys ever hear about hypertech or any of the other aftermarket programming computer being sued. Me either. How about these 4wd shops such as 4wd wholesalers being sued for knowingly selling and installing oversized tires on a customers car yea me either.
                Last edited by 737mechanic; 09-22-2016, 07:00 AM.

Comment

• Wheel
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by phill57
                  Hello Wheel

Sorry but I haven't got 16.2 or 4 yet but I am pretty sure they have not addressed these lost capabilities nor made any improvements to the work order management or printing.

Lets hope
                  Thanks for getting back to me on this.
                  6 years and counting on waiting on them to correct some mistakes - it's beyond ridiculous, and pretty much shows the customer where he stands with the company. 16.4 is just around the corner. but I'm not holding my breath either.
                  You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Steve6911
                    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Wheel
                    Steve, I see you have a Launch in your arsenal. Snap On's graphing mops the floor with launch's - except in one area. You can superimpose the graphs, and in different colors. I realized just how handy this could be the other day when I was scanning a DOHC v6 chevy with variable valve timing and 4 cam sensors with a cam correlation code. I graphed these and once in a great while I saw one deviate - the one the code was for. If the graphs were side by side, one wouldn't have noticed.
                    Even if they only put this in the Shopstream program for now it would help many, and then later think about putting it in the scanners so we could use it live. I wouldn't want to replace any features with this but add it as an option. You having a Launch, I figured you would be familiar with the feature I mentioned and would have a pretty good understanding of what I am suggesting.
                    Wheel
                    No I am not familiar with it as my Launch is the old Lunch box, it rarely comes out. Only for older Euro's with to my dismay still come in . But you have a very good idea!

Steve

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                      • Jan 2011

SnapOnKid: You are correct that snap-on has it on some makes. Even Volkswagen cars you can calibrate the speedometer.

Some guys tried to say snap-on won't add it for liability reasons so they just add the factory tire sizes that the OEM scan tool has but the DRB3 has the feature for oversized tires for Chrysler and Jeep but snap-on has only added the factory tire sizes at least for jeep not sure about Chrysler I will have to check that but out of any vehicles Snap-On should add the feature for Jeep and as many 4wd trucks as possible for the simple fact that there are so many 4wd vehicles that get lifted and oversized tires installed and a lot of people just live with the speedo being off and not ever realizing their shift point are not right and their traction control isn't going to work right when needed including the antilock brakes. And if the TMPS needs correct info that is going to be inaccurate so there are many reasons to have a tool that can correct that and bring a few more dollars into a shop, after all the ONLY reason a shop buys a scan tool like the Verus is to make money.

The feature would be very handy and useful on any high end OE level scan tool and since the verus is the highest priced scan tool on the market it should have simple features like that.
                      But in this case the function IS in the factory tool. BTW snap-on DOES have functions in their tool that ARE NOT in the factory tools so that thought doesn't make much since.

It truly amazes me of the willingness of people to want to limit their machine from performing a certain useful function and to justify why it SHOULDN'T be there. Simply unbelievable to me.

You guys keep talking about liability. So how would snap on be liable for anything if they put that function in their scanner to allow the speedometer to read RIGHT. Maybe the mechanic that screwed up and entered the wrong value might have some liability on his end which by the way he already has because he could simply enter the wrong tire size that is already in the scanner currently.

Also talking about factory tire sizes of course you realize the manufactures DO expect people to put tires sizes other than what was offered on the vehicle as is evident because ALL the stock computers are able to except a tire size values other than what came on the vehicle. If manufactures was so dead set against people correcting the speedometer for oversized tires they would build into their computers a MAX that you could not go over. OH wait they already do that too. the max for a Chrysler computer is approximately a 47in. tall tire. But the factory never offered a 47in tall tire on their ram 1500 so WHY would the factory computer be able to except a value for a 47in tire and the snap on scanner is incapable of letting us use the limits built into the FACTORY computer.

BTW do you guys ever hear about hypertech or any of the other aftermarket programming computer being sued. Me either. How about these 4wd shops such as 4wd wholesalers being sued for knowingly selling and installing oversized tires on a customers car yea me either.
                      Snap On will listen. If by any chance you can show this process with a DRB3 to them they will go back and back date the software. I don't typically work on Dodge/Chrysler stuff nor do I have access to it Like I do GM stuff. This is how the GM tire size got put in there and Porsche coverage got added as well.

By the way the other companies you mentioned do get sued from time to time, you just don't hear about it. Also the Different Government agencies get involved from time to time as well to stick there nose in things.

Comment

• Wheel
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
                        Wheel
                        No I am not familiar with it as my Launch is the old Lunch box, it rarely comes out. Only for older Euro's with to my dismay still come in . But you have a very good idea!

Steve
                        Yeah, it was real cool how easy that made it to validate that particular code with scan data.
                        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

Working...