With 2014 here, What's still on your software wish list???

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

With 2014 here, What's still on your software wish list???

With the 14.2 public release do out any day, I would like to see what other's still feel is missing, broken, lacking, or otherwise could be improved upon.

In my personal opinion the coverage as a whole has gotten better as well as the tool line up.

I Believe Some of that Is do to what we ask for here on the forum.

1. Data Pids During functional testing.

Example: Some vehicle lines show some data while performing an Evap test while others do not.

Personally I would like to see what's going on during a Evap test on all lines. For me personally, that would be the GM truck line up. Currently it performs the test but shows no Data during the test??? If the scan tool can read it for testing, Why not display it???

2. All modules scan on CAN network vehicles. This way I know if a specific Module is present or if I know I need to go to a specific module, I can see if the module is reading or not.

Example: Airbag light is on, Maybe the Module for the seat is dead or damaged when it comes in. Before I look up the fault code and then go to that specific module to look for data, I can see the seat module is not online.
    Knowing that could direct me to look in that area to make sure everything Is ok before I proceed to chase my tail on a component that might not be bad since the module is not communicating.

3. Troubleshooter, We know you backfill when possible. If there is factory code it should be in there with the factory description.

But what about giving us the ability to go to Troubleshooter from the Code?

I spend enough money on the updates. I am not signing up and Paying for a web site to get the missing info that should be in the troubleshooter to begin with. Not to mention when I get the updates, the dealers always state they know nothing about the website's or the how to get the activation code for the free trail when you purchase updates.

Well What about the rest of you??? Anything you would like to see get fixed, added, or improved upon???

Let's try not repeat the known issues that Snappy is already working on or have acknowledged within the forum.
  • Joe Rappa
    Snap-on DSD
    • Aug 2007

I agree on this one. I know there are some vehicles that are not capable of doing this, but many are. There are tons of vehicles that do show data while in Functional Tests. You can even switch between different data groups of needed, but I bet there are some vehicles that SO doesn't do it on, and the scanner doesn't display it.

2. All modules scan on CAN network vehicles. This way I know if a specific Module is present or if I know I need to go to a specific module, I can see if the module is reading or not.

Code Scan was added for several car lines for 14.2. It scans the modules that the scanner communicates with and checks them for codes. While not the same as a Module Ping, it is a nice addition. I believe the limitation on this would be that SO can't ping modules that the scanner doesn't communicate with. Because it is very doubtful that any aftermarket scanner is going to communicate with every module on a particular car line, this feature won't be here any time soon. This makes U Codes a particular burden, but it is what it is. I may eventually get proven wrong on this. It certainly has happened before...

Joe
    "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
    Henry Ford

Comment

• SnapOnKid
      • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Joe Rappa

I agree on this one. I know there are some vehicles that are not capable of doing this, but many are. There are tons of vehicles that do show data while in Functional Tests. You can even switch between different data groups of needed, but I bet there are some vehicles that SO doesn't do it on, and the scanner doesn't display it.

Code Scan was added for several car lines for 14.2. It scans the modules that the scanner communicates with and checks them for codes. While not the same as a Module Ping, it is a nice addition. I believe the limitation on this would be that SO can't ping modules that the scanner doesn't communicate with. Because it is very doubtful that any aftermarket scanner is going to communicate with every module on a particular car line, this feature won't be here any time soon. This makes U Codes a particular burden, but it is what it is. I may eventually get proven wrong on this. It certainly has happened before...

Joe
      1. The GM truck line would be helpful... Maybe even a note to use the USB cable with the wireless module could be added...

2. I didn't think about the fact that the Snap On's software only communicates with some of a vehicles modules may cause it not show other active modules. I wonder how other Tools do this?

Looking forward to the new changes. Do you know if they made and head way with the Ford cylinder contribution test?

Comment

• Bob's Garage
        • Nov 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
        1. The GM truck line would be helpful... Maybe even a note to use the USB cable with the wireless module could be added...

2. I didn't think about the fact that the Snap On's software only communicates with some of a vehicles modules may cause it not show other active modules. I wonder how other Tools do this?

Looking forward to the new changes. Do you know if they made and head way with the Ford cylinder contribution test?
        Yes, the CCT has been returned for most Fords in 14.2. Lots of small changes, good messages to help the tech and to keep from using it in error.
        Last edited by Bob's Garage; 04-10-2014, 08:26 PM.

Comment

• Wheel
          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
          Yes, the CCT has been returned for most Fords in 14.2. Lots of small changes,good messages to help the tech and to keep from using it in error.
          This is certainly good news. 14.2 may actually be worth buying for my Modis
          at least once we find out they haven't removed anything else. I'll save my money wait and watch.
          You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

There are a couple of things that are helpful in 14.2.
            Code Scan was added to a bunch of car lines and Auto ID for CAN Fords. It isn't on every Ford, but the newer ones do it.

As far as the CCT being lost, that's not really the case. The test had troubles, so the broken ones were removed. I'd rather the feature wasn't there than to have one that provided bad info. Any Tech would agree on that. Same thing happened with the Service Bay Test. SO removed a bunch of vehicles that didn't perform the test as designed. It is still present in the Tech 2, even though the test isn't resident in the PCM. It just fails to run. I'd rather not have the test than to be misled by the scanner.

My 2 cents,

Joe
            "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
            Henry Ford

Comment

• Wheel
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Joe Rappa

Joe
              Manufacturers do present some built in limitations. Too often, we allow ourselves to be so limited by what we can't do that we often forget, don't bother, or even try to find out what we CAN do. Everyone ( including me) does this to some degree. I hope the engineers won't allow one car line's limitations in an area to stop them from seeing what they can do for us where they can with other car lines in the same area.

I am a devout pessimist, but this is an instance where the optimist's point of view is clearly better.
              You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Modis500
                • Sep 2012

I'm with Snap On Kid on the point where we could access Troubleshooter straight from the code in any of the modules. Is this a possibility, or would it take an immense amount of work to write that into the software? I'm not exactly computer smart by any means, but this is a great idea. It would save us a few steps and give more guys an incentive to get the SnapOn tool where others don't offer this. And I'd like to choose which Pids I can add to a list to graph from a module....but that has been requested a lot, and still no success. Just my 2 cents.
                "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
                Zig Ziglar

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                  • Jan 2011

I am glad that some of Ford CCT was corrected and is now back.

As soon as I can get some info on the cost to have my Verus looked at and possibly serviced, I will know if I can afford the update.

Comment

• Modis500
                    • Sep 2012

Bob,

When you say that the Ford CCT has returned, you are referring to the graphing capability while watching misfires? If so, this is a welcomed return.
                    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Wheel
                      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
                      With the 14.2 public release do out any day, I would like to see what other's still feel is missing, broken, lacking, or otherwise could be improved upon.

In my personal opinion the coverage as a whole has gotten better as well as the tool line up.

Agreed, COVERAGE has gotten better for the most part, but they now need to work on depth of coverage for the most popular brands - more pids, bi directionals, and modules covered instead of adding more exotic car lines. They are spreading themselves too thin which has their help busier than a one legged man in a butt kicking contest.

I Believe Some of that Is do to what we ask for here on the forum.

Example: Some vehicle lines show some data while performing an Evap test while others do not.

Personally I would like to see what's going on during a Evap test on all lines. For me personally, that would be the GM truck line up. Currently it performs the test but shows no Data during the test??? If the scan tool can read it for testing, Why not display it???

This would be a faster alternative to labscoping it during the test. If they would work on making it easier to use both scanner and scope
                      together then even that would be easier to do for those cars they just can't get the datastream and the test to run at the same time on.

Example: Airbag light is on, Maybe the Module for the seat is dead or damaged when it comes in. Before I look up the fault code and then go to that specific module to look for data, I can see the seat module is not online.
                      Knowing that could direct me to look in that area to make sure everything Is ok before I proceed to chase my tail on a component that might not be bad since the module is not communicating.

They are finally making a start here.Hopefully they will give us what they can on the models they can and not let what they can't do dictate what they can and will give us.
                      Too bad we can't interest them in building a keyless cable for the older scanners so those could take full advantage of the feature also.

3. Troubleshooter, We know you backfill when possible. If there is factory code it should be in there with the factory description.

Here is why I am concerned with them spreading themselves too thin. Troubleshooter used to be more thorough, but they have so much more to deal with now that it would be hard to expect different. Code descriptions and then maybe code set criteria as a minimum at least would sure help even if they didn't have any more info available.

But what about giving us the ability to go to Troubleshooter from the Code?

This would be priceless.The troubleshooter when working on an unfamiliar vehicle is one of the most compelling reasons that just about every shop should consider having a Snap On scanner of some sort in their collection. They sure could capitalize on one of their strongest assets by adding this.

I spend enough money on the updates. I am not signing up and Paying for a web site to get the missing info that should be in the troubleshooter to begin with. Not to mention when I get the updates, the dealers always state they know nothing about the website's or the how to get the activation code for the free trail when you purchase updates.

They used to give you this on DVD with the update as they still should. They incorporated this into the Verus software when they first brought it out - don't know if they still do this or not, probably yet something else they have either taken away or will. The point is as common as it is, internet access isn't always a given in many situations, so what happens to the poor guy who HAS to fix a car, is depending on this information to do so, and his internet connection either goes South or he's in a remote location on a job where there's none available? This needs to be included in the updates one way or another as it once was, even if it costs us more.

Well What about the rest of you??? Anything you would like to see get fixed, added, or improved upon???

Plenty, but they aren't interested so I'll save some typing.

Let's try not repeat the known issues that Snappy is already working on or have acknowledged within the forum.
                      I feel they need to address what we've already told them before making any further suggestions.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                        • Nov 2007

Ford CCT graphing is back, works well.

Originally posted by Modis500
                        Bob,

When you say that the Ford CCT has returned, you are referring to the graphing capability while watching misfires? If so, this is a welcomed return.
                        Let me give you an example. 2002 Ford F-250 5.4. It wasn't at the shop for misfire. I noticed an occasional subtle misfire. Always looking for some additional needed work, I plugged in Modis Ultra with 14.2.

It was really easy to spot. And literally every time I felt the intermittent misfire, I saw the slowdown of the crankshaft during the event:

40513002.BMP

Zooming seemed to help, although not needed:

40513003.BMP

In reality, the Min-Max values are almost all you need, but the graphing catches it in real time.

Bob

Last edited by Bob's Garage; 04-10-2014, 08:30 PM.

Comment

• Modis500
                          • Sep 2012

Thanks Bob. Good to see they brought something back that is used by so many. Definitely a plus
                          Zig Ziglar

Comment

Working...