Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GuardDuck
    • Jun 2014

MT2500 questions

Just a quick question, I did try to search. I have a 1997 Sebring convertible, and the ABS light is on. I've been looking at getting a MT2500 to check the ABS codes, would the MT2500 work? Or am I stuck taking the car to the dealer to have them hook it up to the DRB III?
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Depends on the "Cartridge Family's " software version that the MT2500 has . If it only have a 1999 Primary cartridge and the car was a newer Chrysler model , car was only 1 year old by end of 98
    The software writers were putting together whatever bones Chrysler would toss to Snap On in 1998 for a 1997 car. My guess be just codes .
    Fast Forward to 2009 with the last programmable black cartridge version when the 97 is already 11 years old and whatever Bones Chrysler was throwing Snap On , that it hopefully became a pretty decent Skeleton of a OE scanner should one be excavated by a Tool room Anthropologist .

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

As already stated, it is going to depend on the software update in it. Unfortunately that can be hard to decipher with ebay purchases. There are lots of misleading claims on coverage in a lot of the MT2500 auctions there.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• SPS10.4
        • Aug 2012

Give me the first 10 of the VIN and I'll try to check my 99 Domestic Primary as well as my '04 VCI.

Comment

• chaskuss
          • Dec 2009

I've got a 7.2 VCI cartridge. I can check on that as well, once we know the first 10 of the VIN.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

Post is already about 5 months old now , guessing that car is long gone by now , so unless Guard Duck has the VIN on record or car is his daily driver and he or she still regularly lurks on here , who knows till you get one. I don't think you can enter VIN on internal 9V battery and get that far on the menu to see what you can access with ABS without actually communicating with the vehicle. I also have a MT2500 Version 7.2 on black cartridge but don't know why there isn't any year coverage past 2005 model year.
            Did Snappy Take a few years vacation on model year coverage or just triing to force folk to trade up to newer Solus Platform playing This is The End from Jim Morrison from Scan Bay in Vietnam.
            Last edited by Witsend; 11-22-2014, 10:07 PM.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Well I Tried ABS on a 97 GM

and MT 2500 flat out refused to power up. Was about to check the fuses but looked at MT2500 OBD2 connector and saw green sh@t on two of the Prongs . WTF! I Looked at the vehicle connector and She was a Green Man oh man alishi . Come on guys, Stop blaming Snap On for all your No communication problems !
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Witsend; 11-22-2014, 10:08 PM.

Comment

• chaskuss
                • Dec 2009

Witsend, Love your musical taste. Two great songs. Now the trivia question. The Green Manalishi was covered by Judas Priest. Who was the original band???
                FYI, My 7.1 [I was incorrect about it being 7.2] MT25001001 VCI cartridge does US vehicles up to 2006, and Asian up to 2005. Maybe that green corrosion extends a little further up into your MT2500 ??
                Next late 1990s Mopar I get in the shop, I'll try to communicate with the ABS system to see what functions it has. I know mine will do GM ABS. I'll post my findings, just so the info can be found by the next guy wondering about that question.
                Don't lose that two pronged crown!

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

I believe Fleetwood Mac originally made that song . Great song, and some day a Good Ole Boy will have to graft a 65 Cadillac Fleetwood Hearse Chassis onto the rolling frame of a Mack truck to Commemorate that band .
                  I was searching for a universal prewired female OBD replacement , but short of cutting an OBD connector with leads off at a junk yard , this is as close as I could find.

Comment

• chaskuss
                    • Dec 2009

Fleetwood Mac is correct. You will need an "open barrel" crimper tool to crimp those pins onto the wires of your "Green Machine" Mopar. Something like

or

I can't seem to find a photo or info on my favorite though. Might have to take a photo of mine on Monday.

Comment

• SPS10.4
                      • Aug 2012

Originally posted by Witsend
                      I don't think you can enter VIN on internal 9V battery and get that far on the menu to see what you can access with ABS without actually communicating with the vehicle.
                      No, you can't on internal. The scanner will display "Vehicle ID saved, OK to release button" (or words to that effect). But if you hook to a OBDII port you can search the sub menus with that VIN to get an idea. No communication needed or recommended

I have explored many makes/models while hooked to my '99 GM truck as a power source.

Originally posted by Witsend
                      I also have a MT2500 Version 7.2 on black cartridge but don't know why there isn't any year coverage past 2005 model year.
                      7.2 is a Software Bundle, coverage should be '06 Domestic/'05 Asian/ w/optional Euro '0X. In the upper right hand corner during the first screen after boot there should be B7.2. Once a make is chosen, there will be software version number for each of the domestics.

Comment

• chaskuss
                        • Dec 2009

My favorite open barrel terminal crimping tool

I've been looking all over the web in hopes of finding a link that I could post to show the Malco crimping tool that is my favorite. It appears that Malco no longer makes this tool. What a shame. Another example of a quality American made tool driven off the market place by foreign cr*p. This is a very popular tool with aviation avionics techs.

Comment

• chaskuss
                          • Dec 2009

Originally posted by GuardDuck
                          Just a quick question, I did try to search. I have a 1997 Sebring convertible, and the ABS light is on. I've been looking at getting a MT2500 to check the ABS codes, would the MT2500 work? Or am I stuck taking the car to the dealer to have them hook it up to the DRB III?
                          Just checked ABS on a 1998 Ram 1500. My 1996 to 2001 red cartridges, VCI [black programmable] with 5.2 & 7.2 software can all communicate with the ABS computer. Data, codes & Pinion ratio reset all work. My 1999 & Earlier vehicles red cartridge can communicate with the codes & Pinion reset. It's requesting I start the engine to view data. I can't do that right now, as the radiator is out of the truck. I'll report back later, once I can start the truck.

Comment

Working...