Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • techpk
    • Aug 2013

96 dodge 1500 p1391

i have a question about this 1500 pu 5.2 motor. came in with po320 and stalling. after checking out found bad crank sensor. replaced cam sensor as well.now runs fine but p1391 shows up very intermittent.checked signals with scope look ok even while wiggling harness.my question is on scanner (verus)there is sync cam/crank in functional tests. does this need to be done. this vehicle has a dist.
  • kcb37
    • Jan 2014

Why not just give it a try.
    I am more familiar with GM, that being the case even an older engine (GM) can have some codes solved from a crank sensor relearn.

Comment

• badcoupe
      • Jan 2011

I believe they have it lidted as a cam re-synch in the functional tests menu. Since the distributor turns you may have to adjust it a bit to compensate for new sensor although I've needed to.

Comment

• kebo1970
        • Nov 2008

what brand was the crank and cam sensor you replaced?

Comment

• techpk
          • Aug 2013

the sensors are napa echlin. customer needed truck over weekend he returned today with no light on he said it went off shortly after he took truck and has not come back on. i am going to keep it a couple of days see if anything comes up.i will update if i find a problem

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

I just googled Code P1391 on Dodge truck

Found this, not same year but info is out there to be found

The original person that asked the question paid for the expert's advise and it's posted out there for other folk to see unless they close it and put into some sort of pay to access info on old questions.
            Hmmm, Maybe tech who answered the question after 10, 000 views will be able to demand a new Verus Pro for the random link posted containing his advice in a stale 3 year old post.

Comment

• kebo1970
              • Nov 2008

Originally posted by techpk
              the sensors are napa echlin. customer needed truck over weekend he returned today with no light on he said it went off shortly after he took truck and has not come back on. i am going to keep it a couple of days see if anything comes up.i will update if i find a problem
              i would look for a better brand of parts. i've seen too many DEFECTIVE new parts send mechanics on a wild goose chase.

Comment

• techpk
                • Aug 2013

thank you for the replies.also thank you witsend for the link also helpful.we set dist to zero only off 2 deg. still after a couple hundred miles code would set.rechecked all wiring and decided to install oe sensors as suggested.that did it.we drove many miles to be sure and customer said everything is good so far.thanks again

Comment

Working...