X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Daddyo
    SDE Member
    • Oct 2006

PC link

Thought this would be a good thread to get started because of the need for PC link
    with todays MODIS , storing info, running AUTO REPAIR DATA, etc.

I am running 6.2 on our modis's , and what to share it different workstations.
    We will be getting 6.4 when it gets here ?.
    Last edited by Daddyo; 10-28-2006, 04:58 PM.
  • MasterWrench
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by Daddyo
    Thought this would be a good thread to get started because of the need for PC link
    with todays MODIS , storing info, running AUTO REPAIR DATA, etc.

I am running 6.2 on our modis's , and what to share it different workstations.
    We will be getting 6.4 when it gets here ?.
    I am not a complete "geek" when it comes to computers, but I would think that if you have all of your pc's on a LAN(Local Area Network) that you should be able to share any info between them you want....

You can link your MODIS to a pc. Ask your dealer about it.....or maybe your tech rep.....
    MasterWrench

Comment

• Joshua Covington
      • Aug 2006

Originally posted by MasterWrench
      I am not a complete "geek" when it comes to computers, but I would think that if you have all of your pc's on a LAN(Local Area Network) that you should be able to share any info between them you want....

You can link your MODIS to a pc. Ask your dealer about it.....or maybe your tech rep.....
      Daddyo probably isn't a complete geek either however, he's got his MODIS connected to the PC and the web using PC Link. And he's got his PC's networked AND he's got two locations all connected to the web and all with wireless access.

What he's throwing out for discussion is... Are there any creative solutions that other folks may have "discovered" which let you easilly connect a single MODIS to multiple PC's.
      • This could be helpful if you share a MODIS between two shop locations.
      • This could be helpful if you have multiple PC's in the shop and want to quickly save a screenshot from your MODIS to the PC (for customer records) without having to walk to the lobby or office where the main PC is.
      • Other thoughts?
      Snap-on Diagnostics
      Program Manager

Comment

• Daddyo
        SDE Member
        • Oct 2006

Sometimes I think life would be easier if i were a "geek" but i leave that up to some talented IT people who bail me out a lot!
        MasterWrench do you have "pc link"? because you must load Fast Track Suite onto ever computer you want to connect to, and the modis must reconize each computer by its name , I dont know if the modis has the ablility to switch from workstation to workstaion.
        This has come up at several shop meetings, so each tech can load there own info onto there own workstation, and the service writers can load patterns, etc and print them onto an invoice as needed, and it will then be in history for review as needed.
        I dont have the need to move a modis from location to location, but my laptop does and it has suite loaded on it. I have not tried using diffrent modis's on my laptop.
        Can we view a modis with different computers at the same time ?
        Just trying to get info before we go thru all the time and effort.
        Oh well we are going to try it anyway and see what happens.
        Last edited by Daddyo; 11-03-2006, 12:18 PM.

Comment

• Daddyo
          SDE Member
          • Oct 2006

pc link

Found out some new info. You can share your modis to diffrent computers, no problem, BUT you can only have 1 computer trying to join with the modis at any given time. If you do have more than 1 computer with pc link active, the modis gets confused and will not join to any computer, I guess some kind a fail safe mode. You have to turn off or disconnect active link on the computer that you do not want the modis to link up with.My laptop can also join up with any modis
          as long as it is the only computer with pclink turn on or active.
          Also make sure to get update patch for pc link , we have had our software on 3 computers say ( presets tampered ) you just have to reinstall and call in for codes, good news nothing happens to your old saved info. hopefully the new patch will stop the software issue.
          Thanks
          Daddyo

Comment

• Transman
            SDE Member
            • Oct 2006

Good Info!

Thanks for posting about the pc-link update, where do you get the update patch from? Transman
            We can be right or we can be wrong, But we don't learn from being right!

Comment

• Daddyo
              SDE Member
              • Oct 2006

You can get the update patch for your pc from tech support, he we email it to you. My version was a 6.2 but a first version it may be included in the newer version ?

Daddyo

Comment

• No-Start
                • Oct 2006

You can also get the PC-Link patch by following this link.

No-Start.

Comment

• Transman
                  SDE Member
                  • Oct 2006

Originally posted by No-Start
                  You can also get the PC-Link patch by following this link.

No-Start.
                  Thank you for the link very much. Transman

Comment

• MasterWrench
                    • Oct 2006

Sometimes I think life would be easier if i were a "geek" but i leave that up to some talented IT people who bail me out a lot!
                    MasterWrench do you have "pc link"? because you must load Fast Track Suite onto ever computer you want to connect to, and the modis must reconize each computer by its name , I dont know if the modis has the ablility to switch from workstation to workstaion.
                    This has come up at several shop meetings, so each tech can load there own info onto there own workstation, and the service writers can load patterns, etc and print them onto an invoice as needed, and it will then be in history for review as needed.
                    I dont have the need to move a modis from location to location, but my laptop does and it has suite loaded on it. I have not tried using diffrent modis's on my laptop.
                    Can we view a modis with different computers at the same time ?
                    Just trying to get info before we go thru all the time and effort.
                    Oh well we are going to try it anyway and see what happens.

I do not yet have PC link. I wold like to but am almost afraid to ask what the "extra" cost for everything necessary is to be able to do that. I have a laptop with Windows XP on it, so I have that part, and I do have a MODIS...
                    MasterWrench

Comment

• Daddyo
                      SDE Member
                      • Oct 2006

You will buy the kit from your dealer and you will load the software onto every pc you want to connect to. dont know cost ?. sounds like you are set just need the pc link kit.
                      good luck.

Daddyo

Comment

• Joshua Covington
                        • Aug 2006

You will buy the kit from your dealer and you will load the software onto every pc you want to connect to. dont know cost ?. sounds like you are set just need the pc link kit.
                        good luck.

Daddyo
                        Yep... Get ahold of your Dealer to purchase the PC Link kit. You can also buy it through the web from the link that No-Start posted... http://buy1.snapon.com/products/diag...01&dir=catalog : Thanks No-Start :

BTW, you're dealer still gets credit for the web sale and should be happy to support you with your new purchase.
                        Snap-on Diagnostics
                        Program Manager

Comment

• Daddyo
                          SDE Member
                          • Oct 2006

wireless connections

It seems like my laptop wants the wireless connection turned off when syncing to the modis?.it works just fine when plugged in but i must disable the wireless even when I am plugged in .
                          I have not tried just connecting wireless to wireless.
                          I am still wanting for 6.4 will it be addressed in the new update.
                          Thanks Daddyo

Comment

• Transman
                            SDE Member
                            • Oct 2006

Something is wrong with your settings, you should be able to connect modis to one computer at a time on the network with no problem. Transman

Comment

• Daddyo
                              SDE Member
                              • Oct 2006

laptop wireless

The Modis's work fine, I can switch from one computer to another with no problem , I have noticed that if i want to sync up with my laptop I must first disable my wireless on my laptop when plugged into the network , I believe it is a issue with my laptop not the modis , I do have a software driver update for my wireless . I will do the driver update first because I need to anyway and then retest the system.
                              My laptop on only wireless will sync up fine , and only plugged in it works fine , I just can be plugged in and have my wireless turned on.
                              Thanks Daddyo
                              Last edited by Daddyo; 12-05-2006, 06:06 PM.

Comment

Working...