X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • superbovine
    • Oct 2015

Black screen and bad RAM

Hi guys,

So yesterday... about one month out of warranty of course... I find my Verus Pro with a blue screen. I reboot, and nothing but a black screen. Literally, you turn it on and the green power light comes on and that is it, never even reaches the "S" splash screen or anything let alone windows etc.

I took it apart to start isolating as much as I could, and I found that the RAM had failed. I swapped in a stick from my Toughbook scan tool and the Verus fired right up without issue. Amusingly I tried the bad stick in the Toughbook and it doesn't have any problem with it, but back in the Verus it goes back to black screen again. Odd.

Kind of weird to see something like that so early (or even at all, I mean really RAM is pretty reliable these days), but I figured in case anyone else runs into a similar scenario it is a place to check before submitting to the ridiculous repair prices Snap On charges. A $20 stick of RAM and 15 minutes is much more agreeable than ~$1000+ or whatever the tiering starts at now.
    I was pretty disappointed to read it couldn't boot on a 4gb stick either, I was really hoping for another boost after the SSD replacement. Oh well.
  • valkyrie62
    • Mar 2012

Thanks

Hey,, Thanks for the heads up on you repair

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Wow, Over a grand to cure a Virus?

Kind of weird to see something like that so early (or even at all, I mean really RAM is pretty reliable these days), but I figured in case anyone else runs into a similar scenario it is a place to check before submitting to the ridiculous repair prices Snap On charges. A $20 stick of RAM and 15 minutes is much more agreeable than ~$1000+ or whatever the tiering starts at now.
      I was pretty disappointed to read it couldn't boot on a 4gb stick either, I was really hoping for another boost after the SSD replacement. Oh well.

Eat a banana a day to keep the Witch doctor away Even if he gets me and I get a Shrunken head , if I can't find good used Solus Edge's with 16.2 and European for around $1500 mark , I be tempted to bottom feed the Port Freight 08's replacement here pretty soon.It just don't pay to even update old ones anymore let alone expensive repair to what amounts hardware wise is a 200 windows tablet and a 4 channel USB scope.Think I'll just buy cheapest Freakin Maxi Shiest scanner and just keep the older 08 with better hack software as a backup if the new one freezes up till I have time to deal with any alleged BS software downgrades to the older car coverage to get the newer car coverage . Beware The ad on this link might be bogus one
      because the pictures show different platforms and who knows what you get, LMAO, but you get an idea it almost doesn't pay to over pay, then update and wait too long till they also need a pricey repair.

Last edited by Witsend; 07-21-2016, 03:35 PM.

Comment

• superbovine
        • Oct 2015

Yeah they have tiered repairs. There are multiple tiers to repair their higher end scan tools so depending on what is wrong it will fit into one of those tiers and that is the price regardless of what it costs to fix. It looks like they have changed their pricing a little but it appears the memory could fit under tiers 3 4 or 5 depending on how they look at it, with a range of $674-$1759 to fix. Lame system if you have a minor failure, awesome system if you have a catastrophic failure.

I've used the Autel stuff, it is just way to cheap feeling and sluggish for me. The Verus is definitely not worth what they charge for them (or ask for them anyway) but the interface and build quality is still so far out of Autels class it isn't even funny. I'd like to try the "new" Launch units and see if they have improved any. The old ones felt pretty much like Autels with regard to speed, build quality, and reliability (often saying they do something but they do not). The newer ones (Pad2, Pro3 etc) are supposed to be much better.

To me the Solus is a way better option than the other brands out there. Even at full retail (and who pays that?) its a great machine. You can always find at least Ultras for $750-1500 depending on update level, just have to make sure the serial doesn't have debt on it or byebye scan tool when you want to update it.

Comment

Working...