Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • lhoanii
    • Jul 2016

modis scope not getting "fried"

Hello. I'm very new to the diagnostic world. Yes, I was a parts changer but I want to go beyond that now. I recently picked up a Modis for $350 with a bunch of cables,adapters, about 22 keys for domestic/Asian, maybe 12 keys for European, and a several probes. European software is on and it has the 12.2 update. My question is I see people capturing primary and secondary ignition and current ramp waveforms. I know that if you use something like a picoscope that you need a 20:1 atenuater. I don't want to damage my scope but would love to examine said waveforms. What precautions should I take and do the cables have some sort of attenuation built into them. I called snap on tech support but the gentleman that I spoke too gave the distinct impression that he'd rather be doing nearly anything other than talking to me. Any answers to yhis would be greatly appreciated. Larry
  • crackerclicker
    • May 2008

Hi Larry,

I think the Snappy scopes are safe to 400 volts, and the secondary probes are attenuated themselves. Basically, you don't typically need attenuators on a Snappy scope.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Welcome to the forum Larry, Nice find for $350 .It's cheap enough that if the screen and all is good on it , it's almost worth buying the final 16.2 update that is still available for it for a few more months yet.
      Man,it would suck if you gets taken away on the truck going to update it if there is unpaid debt left on it from 4 years ago
      I think I would feel lucky and take the $350 gamble risking a repo on the truck, If all is Kosher, then adding the final 16.2 update cost you might still be under the cost of ole Port Freight 08's new Chinese replacement, The New Maxi Cyst Nine Ho Sex but you always got that 4 channel scope you can save recordings and screen shots to Shop Stream Connect program, good luck , use it for at least a month , to make sure hardware seems problem free before updating :-)
      Last edited by Witsend; 07-25-2016, 10:26 PM.

Comment

• chaskuss
        • Dec 2009

He can avoid that potenial problem

Originally posted by Witsend
        snipped
        Man,it would suck if you gets taken away on the truck going to update it if there is unpaid debt left on it from 4 years ago
        snipped :-)
        That would suck! He can avoid the repo issue by just getting the update via mail from Snap On corporate, as mentioned in the link below.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Hey, What would really suck is if Snappy takes Larry's money for the final 16.2 update, the CF card gets mailed to him , he installs it on the tool , it tells him one last step to go online with the serial # of the Modis to register the serial number to get the key # to unlock everything and then it gives him a unknown problem with a resolution code and a 1-800 # to call to resolve the unknown issue and the Modis is stuck in Limbo with no working software. Do you still feel lucky, well do you?.
          Then the local Snappy rep comes by with a cop , Larry has to hand over the Modis that gets sent back to the guy that owed money on it, who reported it stolen that already got $1800 from his insurance ,( had his buddy sell it off Ebay) Original owner pays the $500 he owes to Snap On Credit for 12.2 and gets the Modis sent back , goes online gets the key for the 16.2 on it and comes out smelling like roses with 16.2.LMAO. Dejected and out $1350, Larry, learned his lesson and figures the only way to insure he get a Kosher used unit is to buy one right off the truck from tool man with his Snappy Credit, and then he buys another Modis with 16.2 for $1400 from his regular Snappy guy that unknown to him took it in on trade 2 weeks before from the same guy that got it back earlier from the hot /repo list.
          Last edited by Witsend; 07-27-2016, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• JamesO
            • Dec 2014

Right on the MODIS body, the WARNING label CLEARLY states "DO NOT APPLY MORE THAN 75 VOLTS DC OR 50 VAC.

The scope probes are usually attenuated or calibrated to limit what the scope input receives. I also think the COP flags also limit the Voltage as well.

As for updates, scour ebay and see what you can find. I have seen updates for between $500-$600 for MODUS, Solus Ultra and Verdit.

Comment

• crackerclicker
              • May 2008

Originally posted by JamesO
              Right on the MODIS body, the WARNING label CLEARLY states "DO NOT APPLY MORE THAN 75 VOLTS DC OR 50 VAC.

The scope probes are usually attenuated or calibrated to limit what the scope input receives. I also think the COP flags also limit the Voltage as well.

As for updates, scour ebay and see what you can find. I have seen updates for between $500-$600 for MODUS, Solus Ultra and Verdit.

Hi James,

You are right that the MULTI-METER is rated for 75 volts, but the SCOPE-METER has a range of 100 mv to 400 volts.

Ihoanii,

If you don't already have the MODIS User Manual, here is a link: https://www1.snapon.com/Files/Diagno..._ZEEMS305K.pdf

Comment

Working...