Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Verus User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 05-11-2019, 09:05 AM

Cliffy Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Hi Paul,

I had the fuel trims on one of these give me the run around, mine would log a P0300 dtc when the trims hit +100%. Are you getting any dtc's?

This was with both O2 sensors operating as expected and 4 gas figures correct. ( this is when I stopped believing the trim pids )

A few questions, what brand spark plugs have you fitted?

Is the coil pack a genuine part?

What Map reading are you getting ?

Do you have a WPS500 or similar to carry out a cylinder pressure test on your scope?

Have you had a vacuum gauge on the engine?
Old 05-11-2019, 10:25 AM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Does it have Exhaust Gas Re-circulation valve and Differential Pressure Feed Exhaust Gas Sensor with the 2 hoses you might be able to hook a vacuum pressure gauge to downstream hose briefly before heat damage it and see what the exhaust back pressure actually reads when you get it up to 3000rpm?
A lot of fords with returnless fuel systems you can see your fuel rail pressure from the FRP pid.
I am not sure an older Verus with XP supports the Team Viewer or remote diagnosis program , but I'm thinking if it did , you might be able to have someone remote in and see what's going on live and talk via Skype. Seen some guys remote in on my Maxi Cyst when it was messed up and any Joe Smoe can do it that knows what he's doing. But can you trust any Joe Smoe in your tool?
Old 05-12-2019, 12:15 AM

paullap Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default KA

Thanks for taking the time to help me, I wish there was a way I could post the pid list so you could see my results, I can email screen shots but it would be good if you could scroll through the pids.

A couple of things dont look correct.

At start up the ECU voltage drops to 8 volts for a short while and then returns to 12 volts.

at idle of 700 RPM the throttle position on the pid is showing 0 deg ?

I have done a pico sweep test on the throttle and looked fine

if I start the car and take the engine speed to about 2000 RPM the RPM will drop considerably without moving the pedal?.

The problem is worse as it warms up.

The strange thing with all this, it is not a happy engine but will not throw any codes.

Regards

Paul
Old 05-12-2019, 12:34 AM

paullap Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Smile Ka

Hi Cliffy, Thanks for the help mate.

I have tried the plugs from a good running car ( no difference )

Coil pack is genuine and I tried one from the good running car and leads (no difference)

Map reading 1017m/bar stationary and about 220 m/bar between 2000/3000 RPM
I did put a vacuum gauge on the engine, I used the small pipe that goes back to the top of the air filter, It seems a bit slow but it goes up to about 19", but at wide open throttle no change, and I thought it should go to Zero?. May be I should try to get the vacuum source from somewhere else.

I do have a WPS with my Pico, I am new to this pico so you have to take what I find with caution, all the cylinders looked ok at idle, Not sure when I increase the revs, I need to look in to a bit further, But manually check the compression I had 250 PSi on all 4 cylinders. on the pico it is showing about 4.8 bar at idle, That is if I have it on the correct setting. If I knew how to I would post all these tests, but that is a bit beyond my capability i am afraid.

I think that is enough information for now .

I will get to the bottom of this car if it is the last thing I do. It is only a small stupid engine.

Thanks for the help
Old 05-12-2019, 11:40 PM

Default secondary ignition expert please

Still on this KA, I need a secondary ignition expert to have a look at my secondary ignition waveforms. should the spark line change dramatically when RPM is increased?. mine is allover the place, nothing looks consistent. i am going to try to post some images.

Paul
Old 05-12-2019, 11:50 PM

Default ka pid list

This is a few pids that dont look correct to me.

https://vgy.me/u/oMgXAm

I hope this works

paul
Old 05-13-2019, 12:31 AM

Default KA

These are not great pictures but the best I can do for the moment, all 3 off these are from the cylinder one after the other firings. I hope this works.
Please let me know you can see them as this is the first time I have done this.

secondary waveforms

https://vgy.me/u/r44fHX

https://vgy.me/u/wkN7BY

https://vgy.me/u/FPnvKv

Paul
Old 05-13-2019, 07:55 AM
Banned

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Kind of looks inverted (like it might be a Waste Spark System) that also uses some sort of Funky Ford triple strike firing at the lower engine rpm.
If it uses only 2 coil on plugs and 2 spark plug cables , I don't believe you will see something of much use with a regular secondary coil pickup.
Maybe just off one of the sparkplug cables if you have a selection for True and Wasted. Think if I had that car , I would be getting Truelly Wasted
Old 05-13-2019, 08:44 AM

tech25 Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

hey there, just curious, the cars ecu seems to be acting goofy, a lot of times this is due to poor grounds and power, i would go through and check to see what the resistance is at the ecu connector for all grounds and verify all power is correct.
Old 05-13-2019, 11:50 PM

Default KA secondary ignition

Hi Witsend. This is a normal 4 coil pack with 4 leads, Link to a picture below. I have just taken 1 lead on the secondary side (plug lead) and connected a secondary pickup lead clipped around the plug lead. It is not a multi strike system , I know what you are talking about, the vauxhall corsa twinport engine uses that system, it is used to ignite the fuel more efficient for emissions, This is just a plain system. The secondary waveform looks crazy to me, and all the cylinders are the same, and every firing event looks different. I am thinking ECU or fuel, Short term fuel trim is taking away 100% as near a dam it , the plugs look a nice light brown colour and the pre cat o2 is switching normal 0.2 to 1.0. The only thing that I have not done is a fuel pressure test, I did not have the correct connection for the schrader valve, so I have ordered a new test kit, hopefully I will have the correct connection in this kit. The question Is "" what would make the secondary ignition waveform look like that"""

Thanks for taking the time

Paul

https://vgy.me/u/iiOqt7

https://vgy.me/u/iiOqt7