Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bpilon
    • Oct 2017

Originally posted by sbebenelli
    You have to be on a subscription plan. If you are not you'll have to buy an update from your Snap On dealer.

If you just bought it you might get the update for free. I'd talk to your Snap On dealer.
    Yes the new update included. thx !

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

If the server isn't up to speed to install the entire d@mn 18.2 update by internet in a timely matter, Can't you still opt to have Snap On guys obtain update card , do the main install for you on the truck in 10 minutes with an actual physical update card, and then you can save the card as back up restore software. Then if you are on the subscription plan you get bits and pieces of what will become 18.4 as it becomes available in easier to digest byte size pieces over the internet, sorta like the Chop Stick way the Chinaman does things in little chunks, but without compromising the user forum that folk post about problems and try to get or give help to one another .

Comment

• GypsyR
        • Jul 2017

Ours finally finished downloading sometime early this morning. The install didn't take too long at all.

Comment

• Jay G.
          Administrator
          • Dec 2006

18.2 DUC Download

All,
          I have an update regarding the 18.2 DUC download times.

We have reviewed many of the download logs which indicate that the customers are cancelling the download and restarting it (thinking tool has locked up).

This is the how the DUC update works:
          1. Will the 18.2 bundle start to download on its own
          • Normally, the download starts on its own and should be happening in the background while the customer is using the device.
          2. What messaging will the customer see (before or after)
          • IF, the customer doesn't manual start the download, once the download is completed they will see a balloon pop up stating that a new update is available for install.
          3. How long will the download take (depending on internet speed)
          • Too many dependencies to answer. The NA 18.2 update is ~900 MB and we have seen devices download in a few hours. Some, due to the connection being dropped are taking days.
          4. While the down load is in progress will the customer be able to use the platform
          • YES, this is the way the DUC client was designed to work. Downloading in the background with a low priority CPU utilization to allow the customer to use the device.

The download will start on it's own but If you decide to start the download yourself make sure you minimize the download progress bar and ignore it.

Comment

• GypsyR
            • Jul 2017

In our case our rep manually initiated the download and we left it alone the entire time.When it stopped at 44% it gave an error message.
            Other than being surprisingly slow I have no real complaints about the process. I imagine SnapOn's server's do very little most of the time and then get overloaded for a time twice a year now that they are moving to internet updating.

Comment

• jables2006
              • Dec 2015

Took two attempts to work. Ready for install this morning.

Comment

• Wheel
                • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Jay G.
                All,
                I have an update regarding the 18.2 DUC download times.

We have reviewed many of the download logs which indicate that the customers are cancelling the download and restarting it (thinking tool has locked up).

This is the how the DUC update works:
                1. Will the 18.2 bundle start to download on its own
                • Normally, the download starts on its own and should be happening in the background while the customer is using the device.
                2. What messaging will the customer see (before or after)
                • IF, the customer doesn't manual start the download, once the download is completed they will see a balloon pop up stating that a new update is available for install.
                3. How long will the download take (depending on internet speed)
                • Too many dependencies to answer. The NA 18.2 update is ~900 MB and we have seen devices download in a few hours. Some, due to the connection being dropped are taking days.
                4. While the down load is in progress will the customer be able to use the platform
                • YES, this is the way the DUC client was designed to work. Downloading in the background with a low priority CPU utilization to allow the customer to use the device.

This may be your bottleneck or at least one of them. Might pay to add an option for high priority for anyone who may not be using the tool and wants a faster download.
                The download will start on it's own but If you decide to start the download yourself make sure you minimize the download progress bar and ignore it.
                I download Linux Mint quite a bit and the download is MUCH faster.I do use a desktop computer, and it uses wireless also. Could also be a difference in the hardware performance of the wireless hardware. Linux Mint is about twice the size of the update file you stated - being about 1.8gb. Just some info for what it's worth.
                You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

I download Linux Mint quite a bit and the download is MUCH faster.I do use a desktop computer, and it uses wireless also. Could also be a difference in the hardware performance of the wireless hardware. Linux Mint is about twice the size of the update file you stated - being about 1.8gb. Just some info for what it's worth.
                  Today 04:33 PM
                  So the entire size of the Snap On 18.2 update including all the old OBD1 and OBD2 software ,Domestic, Asian, and European , and all that can fit on a 1Gb card? My old Port Freight 08 needed a larger card than the 4gb card it came with to update it further toward the beginning of owning it back in 2013. Doubt the Chinaman tool actually have 4 times as much capability as a Verus costing 8 times as much.Maybe the Chinaman tool just have redundancy of the same software on the tool in multiple different languages accounting for huge size of all the files on the software? I checked a Current MaxiCyst part of the Scan folder is on 32GB internal drive and part on the 32 Gb external micro SD in it (Benz)Think there's a lot of extra Gobbley Gook redundancy with multiple language capability, but even if just a quarter of it is in English and even half that be useable , and half that works perfect, you should still have twice the capability even if half the makes of cars you'll never see in your shop. Kinda like knowing you got a big 426 hemi under your hood, but you know when that road is wet , a 2.0 liter Focus with FWD is likely gonna Skunk you
                  Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
                    • May 2008

The update probably just rewrites and adds to the software. More bytes doesn't mean better. Usually the smaller that you can keep your software the faster it runs. There is more than one way to write a command, the less space it takes the faster it runs.

Comment

• jm43130
                      • Apr 2008

18.2 download

I had just updated my Verus Edge 5 weeks ago to 17.4 on tool truck, and SO owed me 18.2 update. I just went to my Edge yesterday to use it, and it popped up a box that said 18.2 update had been downloaded, do you want to install now? It did it all on its own, I didn't start any downloads, and I also turn my Verus off everytime I'm done using it. I don't know when it downloaded update, but it went smoothly on the install.

Comment

• sbreland73
                        • Jan 2009

My TWO CENTS: Not the fault of the tool, but more likely Snapon Servers, may not be optimized for multiple concurrent connections. Imagine the read/write heads on those harddrives buzzing back and forth with hundreds of read request. The update file may also not be spread across drives (RAID 0), also a bottleneck. No one on our end knows what the upload speed of Snapon's connection is, bottleneck. If you can download large files with greater speed elsewhere, it's not the tool. Unless the Shopstream Update Tool is the bottle neck? I can say in the history I have been using these tools, with updates and patches, they have never gotten to the tool with any "blazing" speed via the DUC.
                        S. Breland

Comment

• sbreland73
                          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Witsend
                          So the entire size of the Snap On 18.2 update including all the old OBD1 and OBD2 software ,Domestic, Asian, and European , and all that can fit on a 1Gb card? My old Port Freight 08 needed a larger card than the 4gb card it came with to update it further toward the beginning of owning it back in 2013. Doubt the Chinaman tool actually have 4 times as much capability as a Verus costing 8 times as much.Maybe the Chinaman tool just have redundancy of the same software on the tool in multiple different languages accounting for huge size of all the files on the software? I checked a Current MaxiCyst part of the Scan folder is on 32GB internal drive and part on the 32 Gb external micro SD in it (Benz)Think there's a lot of extra Gobbley Gook redundancy with multiple language capability, but even if just a quarter of it is in English and even half that be useable , and half that works perfect, you should still have twice the capability even if half the makes of cars you'll never see in your shop. Kinda like knowing you got a big 426 hemi under your hood, but you know when that road is wet , a 2.0 liter Focus with FWD is likely gonna Skunk you
                          It's packed in a 7zip file, highly compressed.
                          S. Breland

Comment

• wdoug21
                            • May 2012

took 4 hours

Three try's 4 hours got it sucked but running good so far .

Comment

• landroverman1958
                              • Feb 2010

Good morning from Wales in the UK,18.2 software downloaded yesterday morning,on 1st attempt,loaded fine and updated dongle fine,1st time in years,major improvement in coverage we have been screaming out for years

Comment

Working...