Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
    Probably 90% of the young guys buying a Zuess or Verus Edge , after the novelty of using the scope wears off in less than 12 months are only going to use it after they can't view a graph, or have a comeback/re-check.

Actually, I doubt if the 90% you mention even know how to use the scope or are willing to learn. That's sad. I believe those who put forth the effort to learn it will see the value of it, and once they do, they are hooked.

Mostly newer techs that have no idea what 10.2 offered that got lost in 10.4

Unfortunately you are exactly right here and that needs to change.

.... Now what again exactly did 10.2 briefly offer that updates before and after did not offer?

A very deserving and excellent question It's no small undertaking to answer it properly and thoroughly because MANY very excellent and helpful user - friendly and time saving features got canned and have not been seen since. Bit by bit I'll try to dig up some of the answers for you and others and present them as I can. Hopefully others will chime in and help out with information, pictures, and links to past posts.

For now, an overview. The Verus originally came out in 2008 and the software we liked
    lasted until and including 10.2. Just a few of the things possible with 10.2 on the Verus
    not possible since:
    1. scope preset data (not just the name) visible
    2.font size WITHIN THE DIAGNOSTIC SOFTWARE could be adjusted thus leaving all other software alone
    3,LIVE scanner data worked like Shopstream connect now works for saved data.
    This was a HUGE advantage to be able to view and manipulate live scan data the way Shopstream does it as opposed to how live data is handled on the Verus now. I urge anyone who hasn't done so to download the Shopstream program and use it to play around with manipulating and viewing scanner data to get an idea of how you could once manipulate and view LIVE data on a verus with 10.2 and older software

Enough for now but just getting started.

Maybe it was old reverse engineered Russian software that Clint , the former S.O. Application tester thought was an unstable Byzantine Cluster F@ck of a Hassle to deal with for what little benefits it offered users
    well, I'll tell you. The 10.4 software was so awful compared to the 10.2 software it replaced
    BECAUSE OF THE FEATURES THEY REMOVED and never replaced that I refused a free 10.4 verus software update I had coming (about $1k "value")
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• GypsyR
      • Jul 2017

Dang. Now I'm unhappy. I dug out the clanky old Modis and it's on 12.2. The old Vantage Pro is on 9.4. So I'm all around it but missed out. #2 and #3 sound awesome. And #1 very handy. Double dang.

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by GypsyR
        Dang. Now I'm unhappy. I dug out the clanky old Modis and it's on 12.2. The old Vantage Pro is on 9.4. So I'm all around it but missed out. #2 and #3 sound awesome.

Believe me, they were. That's why those that had them are so angry about losing them.

And #1 very handy. Double dang.

Yep, Quite honestly, having the presets is just about useless if one can't also view the accompanying information before selecting one as you once could.
        I feel this is the only way the 10.4 and later Verus scope software is inferior to the 10.2 and earlier. Otherwise they've done a nice job with it since.

The software under discussion was unique to the original Verus only, before the wireless version. The Verdict was introduced with 10.4 software.

Snap on seems to have a nasty habit of downgrading their diagnostic products while upgrading them.The 2 platforms you mention are examples.Both these platforms had easily removable batteries with separate chargers available. Work them hard all day, & in the middle of a diagnosis your battery quits - no problem, you go get a fresh one from the charger and continue. Newer platforms, you either have to stop and wait for the unit to charge, or plug it in somehow and continue - not always desirable when using a scope.
        The Modis can graph 2 more scan data parameters onscreen at one time than its newer counterpart last I knew. Also it has a 4 channel scope as opposed to 2. Both original Modis and Vantage pro have dedicated ignition diagnostic features and the ability to hook up an rpm probe and transducers directly to the unit lacking in the newer platforms. Vantage pro has a direct amps reading feature its newer counterpart and all Snap On's other platforms, except the original vantage lacks. Now that's progress!!!
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

The software under discussion was unique to the original Verus only, before the wireless version. The Verdict was introduced with 10.4 software.
          My guess is underwhelming Hardware and memory spec of the original Verus was being taxed to near it's limit at what it was being asked to do after adding the wireless feature.With the wireless model The application testers were likely seeing unacceptably high levels of processor and memory usage, and things were heating up. The Application testers figured it needed more RAM , or some high memory usage features had to be abandoned in 10.4 lest the wireless units become slow and unresponsive.
          The question was , How much would it cost adding an extra 1 GB of ram in the wireless units versus loss of sales on future sales and updates if these wireless units become very sluggish and word gets out they seem a total POS.
          Well the Bean counters naturally didn't want to give everyone an extra GB of ram to go wireless , so they dropped some resource hungry features of the former 10.2 so they could go wireless, keep the 1GB ram spec and not have the wireless units become ridiculously slower than the original cabled units.
          Maybe the newer Quad Core Verus Edge and Zuess could work fine with the 10.2 features added back to them , however since the original 10.2 was likely Windows XP Service Pack 1, you probably need to add another 2GB of Ram to these platforms for the features to be run in XPPee mode in Virtual Machine and still be able to process windows updates with out crashing.

Comment

• GypsyR
            • Jul 2017

Sounds about right. For whatever reasons they tend to be really trailing edge on hardware. Most of us have cellphones in our pockets that have roughly double the horsepower of the latest and greatest Snap On scanner.

It probably goes about the the car manufacturing industry. The marketing depot rules all, next come the bean counters, and lastly the engineers. But I still find it amazing that they would actually remove such useful and already implemented features.

Comment

• Wheel
              • Jul 2007

My guess is underwhelming Hardware and memory spec of the original Verus was being taxed to near it's limit at what it was being asked to do after adding the wireless feature.With the wireless model The application testers were likely seeing unacceptably high levels of processor and memory usage, and things were heating up. The Application testers figured it needed more RAM , or some high memory usage features had to be abandoned in 10.4 lest the wireless units become slow and unresponsive.
              The question was , How much would it cost adding an extra 1 GB of ram in the wireless units versus loss of sales on future sales and updates if these wireless units become very sluggish and word gets out they seem a total POS.
              Well the Bean counters naturally didn't want to give everyone an extra GB of ram to go wireless , so they dropped some resource hungry features of the former 10.2 so they could go wireless, keep the 1GB ram spec and not have the wireless units become ridiculously slower than the original cabled units.
              Maybe the newer Quad Core Verus Edge and Zuess could work fine with the 10.2 features added back to them , however since the original 10.2 was likely Windows XP Service Pack 1, you probably need to add another 2GB of Ram to these platforms for the features to be run in XPPee mode in Virtual Machine and still be able to process windows updates with out crashing.
              These features were NOT as resource hungry as one might think. Playing video, for instance, takes quite a bit of resources and my original Verus has no trouble whatsoever playing them. I also put Shopstream Connect on any Verus or Verdict I will be using or work on for someone and this runs fine on them. Shopstream presents and allows you to manipulate scan data just like the 10.2 and previous software did. I've even had both shopstream and the diagnostic software up at the same time with no problems.

My theory is "Junior" dropped out of college and needed a job, so "daddy corporate bigwig" hired him and put him in charge of the Verus software development. junior didn't think the software resembled his smartphone enough, so he totally scrapped what worked and just needed some tweaking - and Atlas software was born with function taking a back seat to appearance. Now since daddy corporate bigwig nor junior are capable of making mistakes then neither can they or will they admit they are wrong - which is exactly what restoring the missing features we want would be doing in their eyes. Since I cannot find a logical reason why the powers that be wouldn't be interested in making their tools the best they can be by restoring these lost abilities that many have asked for and made a good case for, then I can only assume it is something petty like the scenario I came up with here. If the software team could have produced these abilities in the tools once, then they can do so again. No excuse.

Comment

• GypsyR
                • Jul 2017

I'm going with "marketing". At a Zeus sales presentation I was next to a guy who said he had a shop full of parts changers. He hoped the hand holding guidance of the Zeus would cut down on a little the amount of parts flowing through his shop.
                I believe Snap On is primarily marketing their stuff to THAT guy. Not the handful of guys who are interested in actual advanced diagnostics. He and his shop would never notice if some of their scope capabilities disappeared, they've never used it.

Comment

• Wheel
                  • Jul 2007

Originally posted by GypsyR
                  I'm going with "marketing". At a Zeus sales presentation I was next to a guy who said he had a shop full of parts changers. He hoped the hand holding guidance of the Zeus would cut down on a little the amount of parts flowing through his shop.
                  I believe Snap On is primarily marketing their stuff to THAT guy. Not the handful of guys who are interested in actual advanced diagnostics. He and his shop would never notice if some of their scope capabilities disappeared, they've never used it.
                  I don't know. Better user friendliness of a tool helps everyone from the "knuckle dragging missing - link mechanic types all the way to the braniacs. The way Shopstream presents the scan data - the way the older software once did - I felt was actually less complicated, more intuitive, and more versatile.
                  Also the feature where one could read his preset before selecting it from within the scope would actually help the less experienced scope user even more than the experienced because the inexperienced would tend to depend on the help of the presets to get the settings somewhere near right for a given job whereas the experienced user would use it more just for speed and convenience.

Comment

• Wheel
                    • Jul 2007

Probably 90% of the young guys buying a Zuess or Verus Edge , after the novelty of using the scope wears off in less than 12 months are only going to use it after they can't view a graph, or have a comeback/re-check. Mostly newer techs that have no idea what 10.2 offered that got lost in 10.4.... Now what again exactly did 10.2 briefly offer that updates before and after did not offer?
                    Here's a link to a thread back in 2011 that has some of it.

The very next page illustrates this scope preset issue Phill57 brought up here.
                    This explains the difference in what is and what was and should be again.

Of course much has changed since then and there have been slight improvements here and there, but one thing that has not changed is this preset feature and many others WE ONCE HAD has still not been returned to us.

This is some of it - more later when and if I get a chance.

Comment

Working...