X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kvr901
    • May 2010

MT2500 manuals

This forum title is: "What Do You Want In Your Snap-on Diagnostic Tools"

I can understand that Snap-On no-longer wants to provide support of the MT2500 either in software, or telephone technical support, but.........

As a Snap-On tool buyer since 1975 having purchased tens of thousands of dollars of Snap-On tools I am disappointed that Snap-On refuses to provide access to PDF versions of their MT2500 manuals.

It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth regarding Snap-On after 35 years of purchasing your tools.

It would be nice if Snap-On would provide downloadable PROM updates indefinately, but at the very least Snap-On should provide access to old manuals online.

Very disappointing, and certainly makes me take another look at other tool providers.
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kvr901
    This forum title is: "What Do You Want In Your Snap-on Diagnostic Tools"

I can understand that Snap-On no-longer wants to provide support of the MT2500 either in software, or telephone technical support, but.........

As a Snap-On tool buyer since 1975 having purchased tens of thousands of dollars of Snap-On tools I am disappointed that Snap-On refuses to provide access to PDF versions of their MT2500 manuals.

It leaves a bitter taste in my mouth regarding Snap-On after 35 years of purchasing your tools.

It would be nice if Snap-On would provide downloadable PROM updates indefinately, but at the very least Snap-On should provide access to old manuals online.

Very disappointing, and certainly makes me take another look at other tool providers.
    Very disappointing????? What other tool provider supported for a tool as long as Snapon supported the MT2500??? Don't think you will find one. The tool is outdated and Snap-on has moved on as they should have! Yes it would be nice for them to keep the manual on line but why would they keep downloadable tool updates on line for a tool they no longer support?

Steve

Comment

• kvr901
      • May 2010

Originally posted by Steve6911
      .....but why would they keep downloadable tool updates on line for a tool they no longer support?

Steve

For those people such as myself who still value (and purchase) Snap-On tools, but will not spend multiple thousands of dollars for diagnostic equipment they might only use a few times per year.

Keeping the software downloads available would use very little server capacity, would be good publicity for Snap-On amongst non-professionals. (Believe it or not, there are many people out there that think Sears Craftsman is good stuff!)

Leaving older software downloads available would not impede Snap-On's "moving on" among professionals, and it would increase their market share among non-professionals.

I am NOT suggesting Snap-On provide any free phone support, or new updates, or anything like that for the MT2500.

Relax, Dude

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kvr901

Leaving older software downloads available would not impede Snap-On's "moving on" among professionals, and it would increase their market share among non-professionals.

I am NOT suggesting Snap-On provide any free phone support, or new updates, or anything like that for the MT2500.

Relax, Dude
        Yes but here is the problem, if you leave downloadable software on line for people to download what happens when something goes wrong. They will call tech support, now they now longer support it, people get mad, start bashing etc, all for something they no longer support. However the manual on pdf is still a good idea.
        Oh yeah, trust me this is me relaxed!

Steve

Comment

• kvr901
          • May 2010

Originally posted by Steve6911
          Yes but here is the problem, if you leave downloadable software on line for people to download what happens when something goes wrong. They will call tech support......

Okay. I bought a Vantage Pro a couple of days ago. Between that and my MT2500 I'm covered for a while. Now I need to find a software package called "Snap-Link", because (I am told) the free "ShopStream Connect" for the Vantage Pro won't work with an MT2500.

I think they should revise "ShopStream Connect" to support legacy platforms like the MT2500 and the MT2400. Even Micro$oft Windows runs DOS applications from the 1980's.

Who do I contact to get "Snap-Link"?

Comment

• Nickb
            DSD
            • Aug 2007

Snap-Link is an old program. i doubt you will find it from Snapon anymore. Your best bet is to find someone with an old Sun Scope. They use to offer the Snap-Link with the scopes back in the day. The program is usually laying in the bottom drawer never being used. Good luck.
            DSD

Comment

• kvr901
              • May 2010

Originally posted by Nickb
              Snap-Link is an old program. i doubt you will find it from Snapon anymore. Your best bet is to find someone with an old Sun Scope. They use to offer the Snap-Link with the scopes back in the day. The program is usually laying in the bottom drawer never being used. Good luck.

So far no joy.

I have called a number of shops, but everyone dumped their Sun machines years ago.

QUESTIONS:

1. Might you know someone who has Snap-Link floating around?

2. What is the year span that Snap-Link was sold for either Sun or Snap-On equipment? Perhaps if I can provide people a range of years they might think of a junk box/drawer/etc they have.

3. My last experience with Sun was in the early 80's. What is/was Snap-On's relationship to Sun?

I called Snap-On diagnostics, but they were unwilling to help, although the phone vibe was that they could help. They must still have it floating around on a server somewhere.

Thanks

Comment

• crackerclicker
                • May 2008

i'm not really sure why you want snaplink. while it can be useful, all it will give you is numbers over time. it doesn't graph the pids unless you are using a graphing mt2500 (maybe. not even sure about that.). snaplink files kind of look like a microsoft spreadsheet. here is what it looks like on your computer: http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/Y...num=1188735561
                you will have to register to see this, but registration is free.
                snap link used to be expensive right around the time they were phasing it out . shopstream is a much better program (even if it has it's own set of annoying limitations). but you are correct that it does not interface with the mt2500.
                i think you will be wasting your time tracking it down and implementing its use. that said, i have seen it for sale sporadically on ebay. good luck.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

I think what he's looking for is a copy of Scan Graf-X. It was a great little program, but it is long gone. Even if you found a floppy disk with it on it, I doubt it would even read anymore.

Best of luck finding it...and I'm pretty sure the Tech Assistance guys don't have a spare copy under their desk.

Joe
                  "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                  Henry Ford

Comment

• kebo1970
                    • Nov 2008

snap on tools are for techs that rely on their tools everyday not once in a while. i have lots of craftsman tools but there is a difference in quality. not sure if snap on could survive selling tools to people who use them once in a while.

Comment

• kvr901
                      • May 2010

Originally posted by crackerclicker
                      ....snaplink files kind of look like a microsoft spreadsheet. here is what it looks like on your computer: http://www.autonerdz.com/cgi/yabb2/Y...num=1188735561

Thanks for the link! That's exactly what I'm looking for.....brick data! Any application that can suck data out of an MT2500 would be fine. I can write an application to massage the data any way I like.

Since I'm having so much trouble trying to find Snap-Link for a reasonable price maybe someone knows of some other software that can get the data out of a brick?

I don't care if it graphs data or not. All I need is the data.

Thanks!
                      Last edited by kvr901; 05-31-2010, 08:32 PM.

Comment

• crackerclicker
                        • May 2008

hmmm. well kvr, i really didn't think anyone would ever want that program. if i see it for sale again i will try to link it here. there is a very, very, very slight chance that a former employer of mine has it, but i do not know if he uses it or would even part with it. he paid a lot for it and never used it as far as i know

Comment

• kvr901
                          • May 2010

Cool! Thanks for the offer.

If you run across Snap-Link for a "reasonable" price (my interpretation of reasonable is $10 or $20) please let me know. I'll put you in my will

Maybe someone knows of a freeware or shareware application that can suck data out of my MT2500 brick.

Thanks again!
                          Last edited by kvr901; 06-01-2010, 04:09 AM.

Comment

• crackerclicker
                            • May 2008

no luck with the former employer, but here's a recent addition on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Comment

• kvr901
                              • May 2010

Originally posted by crackerclicker
                              no luck with the former employer, but here's a recent addition on ebay: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT

Yeah, I've seen it. The guy wants $100 for it (too much for me).

Two things have changed for me since I was looking for Snap-Link:

1. I discovered one can communicate with an MT2500 using VT100 emulation. Since I used to write software, so the rest is easy.

2. I bought a used Solus with 9.2 for $1,000, so the MT2500 is now a backup unit.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Comment

Working...