Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasterWrench
    • Oct 2006

Originally posted by dave-m
    It's not about using the software on a different tool that you own, it's how you do it. Ask Microsoft if it's ok to use Office on multiple computers that you own if you only purchased a single computer licence. Same goes for Windows, I can make Win 7 work on any computer I want with hacks and work arounds, I had to buy a three licence bundle to make it legal on my three computers.
    But I do that with Microsoft Office and Windows XP both. I own 2 computers, one a laptop the other a desk top and load both with the same version using the same serial number with absolutely no hacks at all....

I guess someone from Snap-On with the legal expertise or a lawyer would be the one to settle this. IMHO if it is for personal use....do it...as long as you are not pirating it to sell there should be no problem with application
    MasterWrench

Comment

• dave-m
      • Feb 2011

Originally posted by MasterWrench
      But I do that with Microsoft Office and Windows XP both. I own 2 computers, one a laptop the other a desk top and load both with the same version using the same serial number with absolutely no hacks at all....

I guess someone from Snap-On with the legal expertise or a lawyer would be the one to settle this. IMHO if it is for personal use....do it...as long as you are not pirating it to sell there should be no problem with application
      Just because you can do it doesn't make it legal. Read the licence agreement that you have to click I Agree to while installing the software. The issue here is whether it's legal or not. In the strictest sense, to my understanding it is not. Will Snap-On come knocking on your door if you do it? Not likely. Would they delete it from this forum if you posted a guide? My guess is yes.

Comment

• MasterWrench
        • Oct 2006

Originally posted by dave-m
        Just because you can do it doesn't make it legal. Read the licence agreement that you have to click I Agree to while installing the software. The issue here is whether it's legal or not. In the strictest sense, to my understanding it is not. Will Snap-On come knocking on your door if you do it? Not likely. Would they delete it from this forum if you posted a guide? My guess is yes.

There was a member here awhile back when they discontinued the PC card to make the MODIS wireless that figured out how to do it and shared it with a few users here and Snap On did not delete his posts nor complain one bit. He also was not selling it but sharing.
        MasterWrench

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by MasterWrench
          There was a member here awhile back when they discontinued the PC card to make the MODIS wireless that figured out how to do it and shared it with a few users here and Snap On did not delete his posts nor complain one bit. He also was not selling it but sharing.
          I would have to say that there is a big difference between a wireless card (which Snapon did not make), and porting propietary software to another machine. Same for "upgrading" the memory in the Verus. Snapon does not make memory, so they should not care if you change it out. They do write diagnsotic software, and would surely want to protect their work.
          S. Breland

Comment

• dave-m
            • Feb 2011

I'll put it in more straight forward terms, a guide to do this would be a guide to pirating Snap-on software by default. I don't think Snap-on would look to kindly on that.

Comment

• MasterWrench
              • Oct 2006

I would like to see some advanced wireless features on the modis.
              Like wireless remote display and control. Wireless printing (Ir doesn't count) to any printer on a windows system. Wireless data transfer to allow syncing the modis to shopstream connect. I already have wireless remote display and control working on the modis via a wifi network with a compact flash based wireless card
              He took the MODIS software and made the changes necessary for all of this to work wireless. It was all done under an Open Source software agreement meaning anyone could use it.....funny thing is that if he could do it and get it working properly ...Why couldn't Snap On? They just scraped the wireless for the MODIS and because his work was Open Source they could have used it and still be using it on the MODIS *shrugs*
              MasterWrench

Comment

• rickc00
                • Dec 2010

I am glad that this topic sparked the interest.

I don’t see SO starting to offer standalone packages. Allowing customers to use any hardware will be tech support nightmare with lower revenue stream. SO will not be able to sell wireless units for $10k ($2k max) but if they add their own tablet ($300) and call it ‘complete system’ as they do now – $10k price tag does not seem that high.

However, as dave-m said and I agree with him – “a guide to do this would be a guide to pirating Snap-on software by default”. Installing the software is piece of cake – no difference from installing any other Windows software. The tricky part is to make Atlas software think
                1 – it runs on licensed verus/verdict or
                2 - make a license file for that particular hardware.

If a guide were to be published the information can be used to install latest updates on unlicensed veruses and verdicts.

Comment

• rickc00
                  • Dec 2010

I received an email from SO asking me to share the technical details of how I made the Atlas work on non-SO PC. I will reply here:
                  I understand SO’s desire to protect its intellectual property. However, sharing this information with Snap-on goes in direct conflict with my personal interest. Having this information SO will patch the software and I will end up having to use old version of the tool. Mind you, If the program can be ran, it can and will be broken (for fun or profit). The best way to protect the software is to provide the tool that people want at the reasonable price. This way there is no need to find workarounds/hacks or cracks.

Comment

• billyo81072
                    • Sep 2010

sticking it to the man

Comment

• sbreland73
                      • Jan 2009

Originally posted by rickc00
                      I received an email from SO asking me to share the technical details of how I made the Atlas work on non-SO PC. I will reply here:
                      I understand SO’s desire to protect its intellectual property. However, sharing this information with Snap-on goes in direct conflict with my personal interest. Having this information SO will patch the software and I will end up having to use old version of the tool. Mind you, If the program can be ran, it can and will be broken (for fun or profit). The best way to protect the software is to provide the tool that people want at the reasonable price. This way there is no need to find workarounds/hacks or cracks.
                      AGREED.
                      S. Breland

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

If you got an Email from them , then that atleast shows one thing... they do monitor the posts on this forum.

Comment

• rickc00
                          • Dec 2010

Getting back to the legality questions - An interesting news came from EU - No Copyright on Computer Functionality or Computer Languages.

Of course, that is EU not US but nevertheless the news is very encouraging. We’ll be closely watching Oracle vs Google case that will make precedent in US.

"...you can't copyright a computer language or computer functionality..."

"Software companies can’t rely on copyright rules to prevent rivals from “reverse engineering” computer programs, the European Union’s highest court ruled."

“There is no copyright infringement when a software company without access to a program’s source code studied, observed and tested that program in order to reproduce its functionality in a second program"

official:

with comments:
                          Last edited by rickc00; 05-04-2012, 10:02 AM.

Comment

Working...