Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • tech25
    • Oct 2017

19.4 will be the solus ultras last update

Just wanted to put this information out there now..so people will know in advance and can make some decisions about upgrading the tool itself or sw.
    Attached Files
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

My guess is all the old scan tools that can't get out of their own way and navigate the software links and the Internet sites for access to Sure Crack trouble shooter, oil specs and other directed sites without tool freezing up are history. I predict that European software may become standard and no longer an extra cost option to unlock , however you will probably have to pay for older OBD 1 and motorcycle coverage which will likely be internet based and accessible only with a valid software sub. My guess is soon without a current software subscription you will have a glorified code readers ,no longer be able to do some special functions or coding accessed by internet

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

I think they have a deal to clear out the Ultras at $2200 buck or something like that . Now you know why.

Comment

• Wheel
        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by tech25
        Just wanted to put this information out there now..so people will know in advance and can make some decisions about upgrading the tool itself or sw.
        Yet another case of prematurely retiring a more than capable platform. Enough is enough.
        At this rate, the tool you buy this year will no longer be supported next year, no matter what you paid for it.

All scan tool companies should support a tool for at least 10 years or not be allowed to sell it. or be forced to buy it back at full price not including updates.
        OR
        When a tool is first introduced, they should tell you its planned expiration date and price it accordingly, reducing its price each year.
        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

I think they have a deal to clear out the Ultras at $2200 buck or something like that . Now you know why.
          I bought a practically new Cyst Pro for $1500 from an owner of a distressed shop back in July of last year to replace my aging Port freight 08, and the Cyst Pro updates be expiring soon. I would sell my Cyst off and would pay $2200 for a new Solus Ultra with a one year warranty if they tossed in a Pass Through Pro II J2534, and let me update my new Ultra through 19.4 to sweeten the deal to close to what I would get if I bought another Cyst Pro. ... Oh darn I forgot about unlocking the European, Maybe I'll have to give up my MT2500 for that , but I keep all the Adapters, Lol.
          Last edited by Witsend; 06-16-2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

Get it over with already !!! Who wants to buy a scanner that'll be obsolete in a few years. Pay the software subscription and include the scanner lease price in the $$$rates. Better scanner, higher subscription. The scanners will have no resale value after the software updates expire, so why buy ?

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

Get it over with already !!! Who wants to buy a scanner that'll be obsolete in a few years. Pay the software subscription and include the scanner lease price in the $$$rates. Better scanner, higher subscription. The scanners will have no resale value after the software updates expire, so why buy ?
              The sad thing is that technology of the Tablets now is that they are obsolete after a few years anyway, whether supported by updates or not. Instead of being tethered to a cable I hook up the battery maintainer and I'm scanning cars 100 feet away having a cold one inside an air conditioned room .With Team Viewer If I get a mobile Hot spot, I could set up the scan tool to record a page of pids and send out the kid or wife driving and watch and control the scanner off my PC . Already was doing it off my Smart phone , but phone screen is too small and can't talk to the person driving the car . Still be an option for cheaper cabled scanners without blue tooth VCI if car is within the shop WIFI range to use Team viewer for that .
              In a couple more years I forsee the VCI and mobile hotspots being paired together with no need of the scanner to be in the vehicle or even near the vehicle at all. The HDMI cable might not be needed to see the scanner on a big screen TV if the Android Scanner offers Smart View (Screen mirroring)like Smart Phones do.
              Last edited by Witsend; 06-17-2018, 10:58 AM.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                • Jan 2011

19.4 is just over a year away... I wonder if it was meant to say 18.4...

Not like them to let the cat out of the bag so early...

Comment

• tech25
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
                  19.4 is just over a year away... I wonder if it was meant to say 18.4...

Not like them to let the cat out of the bag so early...
                  I believe its correct... on this info it says the verdict last update will be 18.4.. i have called snap on tech support in the past and confirmed 18.4 will be the last for the verdict..

I agree they might not of wanted to have this info out there and they might delete it. hence why i posted this so there is a some documentation.
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by tech25; 06-18-2018, 06:04 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
                    Banned
                    • Nov 2012

With the ever shrinking share of the New Scanner market that Snappy has to contend with , you would think that they would be wide open to selling Heavily discounted Final Legacy software updates for all their old discontinued platforms for a decade afterwards with a 90 day warranty on correct operation of the software package installed software.
                    $300 for 9.2 for Black Cartridge MT2500 including Euro
                    $500 Solus Pro including Euro
                    $650 Modis including Euro
                    $700 Verus
                    Of course the price of the Legacy software updates prices would need to go down to about the Rock Bottom $300 price near the end of a decade and Snappy would still be getting revenue from Legacy updates , from DIY back yard mechanics , retired guys working on old Sh@t, Guys still wanting to access OBD1 on something a little newer than a Brick with a 9V battery and a tiny black and white display , and supplementing older guys with Chinaman tools that occasionally won't work with an older OBD2 vehicle, or ocasionally need to scope something with a Modis or Verus.

Comment

• Witsend
                      Banned
                      • Nov 2012

Maybe even offer a Android Friendly Snap On Legacy Software App covering all the OBD1 and earlier OBD2 with a micro USB adapter cable we can install on our smart phones or even on older Rooted Hacked Chinaman Tools.

Comment

• Wheel
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                        With the ever shrinking share of the New Scanner market that Snappy has to contend with , you would think that they would be wide open to selling Heavily discounted Final Legacy software updates for all their old discontinued platforms for a decade afterwards with a 90 day warranty on correct operation of the software package installed software.
                        $300 for 9.2 for Black Cartridge MT2500 including Euro
                        $500 Solus Pro including Euro
                        $650 Modis including Euro
                        $700 Verus
                        Of course the price of the Legacy software updates prices would need to go down to about the Rock Bottom $300 price near the end of a decade and Snappy would still be getting revenue from Legacy updates , from DIY back yard mechanics , retired guys working on old Sh@t, Guys still wanting to access OBD1 on something a little newer than a Brick with a 9V battery and a tiny black and white display , and supplementing older guys with Chinaman tools that occasionally won't work with an older OBD2 vehicle, or ocasionally need to scope something with a Modis or Verus.
                        But this is common sense - which appears to be becoming illegal everywhere and punishable by death by slow torture
                        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
                          • Jul 2007

Originally posted by tech25
                          I believe its correct... on this info it says the verdict last update will be 18.4.. i have called snap on tech support in the past and confirmed 18.4 will be the last for the verdict..

I agree they might not of wanted to have this info out there and they might delete it. hence why i posted this so there is a some documentation.
                          Looks like "Another one bites the dust" should be Snap on's new theme song when it comes to scanners & diagnostic equipment. The tool truck guy should be required to play it on the truck every time someone buys a diagnostic tool

Comment

• tech25
                            • Oct 2017

the word is that the solus ultra sw will now be extended to 20.4.
                            it was originally 19.4, as stated earlier, but extended another year.

Comment

• ToltecasChavez
                              • Apr 2011

When is 19.4 going to be released? This morning my Zeus started throwing "Not Authorized" Pop Up window and would close the app. Had to call Snap-On, they fixed it by logging into my Zeus. They said it was an update bug. Either way, I'm still on 19.2 So not sure what update they were saying caused this. My S.O. Representative said that 19.4 is out. But my Zeus doesn't see it yet. :/

Comment

Working...