Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mech259
    • Sep 2012

Edit data From Solus Ultra

Each line of data has headers for vehicle , condition, comments, etc. How do you edit file to put that data in?
  • Flatrater
    • Dec 2013

What are you trying to open the file with?

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Some improvements in SSC automatically put some information regarding what vehicle and what data group you were in when you save a movie.
      There is a way (or used to be) where we could insert our own words into the information box, but I havn't messed with that in some time as I save the files in folders on my PC that already have some kind of description in the folder name. (easier to find the folder later)
      In the last 5 years there have been some really good improvements in Shop Stream Connect.
      Flatrater asks a good question. I use SSC on my computers to view the movies and I just use windows viewer to look at jpg's & bmp's.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

If you don't already have it, SSC is a fantastic tool that augments our equipment.
        It's available navigating within this site, but this should take you to it.....I hope...

Comment

• Crusty
          • Dec 2007

I opened SSC at the shop. Can't find any way to "edit" any of the BMP screen shots except foe "renaming" the file.
          The vehicle info is there but greyed out.

On the SCM movie files, the vehicle info isn't greyed out and I can add additional information
          Attached Files

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
            Snap-on D&I
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by mech259
            Each line of data has headers for vehicle , condition, comments, etc. How do you edit file to put that data in?
            Assuming you have installed SSC, highlight a scanner file from the Solus Ultra in the SSC Data Manager, right click on the file and select Edit.
            You will be presented with a window that allows you to select the Year, Make, Component, and Condition from drop down lists.
            There is also a field for editing the file name. Note the file extension is hidden. To enter notes and comments, they can be typed in the note window at the bottom center of the Data Manager as shown in the pictures Crusty posted.
            Different files types have different capabilities as far as what can be edited. BMP files only allow the file name to be edited. The vehicle ID info displayed in the note field of a BMP file is for reference only and is not editable. The note window will have a white background when notes can be added to a file or edited, a light gray background when notes cannot be added or edited.

Comment

• Flatrater
              • Dec 2013

Originally posted by Crusty
              Flatrater asks a good question. I use SSC on my computers to view the movies and I just use windows viewer to look at jpg's & bmp's.
              The way he worded his question I was wondering if he were trying to open the file with something like notepad or a hex editor.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
                Assuming you have installed SSC, highlight a scanner file from the Solus Ultra in the SSC Data Manager, right click on the file and select Edit.
                You will be presented with a window that allows you to select the Year, Make, Component, and Condition from drop down lists.
                There is also a field for editing the file name. Note the file extension is hidden. To enter notes and comments, they can be typed in the note window at the bottom center of the Data Manager as shown in the pictures Crusty posted.
                Different files types have different capabilities as far as what can be edited. BMP files only allow the file name to be edited. The vehicle ID info displayed in the note field of a BMP file is for reference only and is not editable. The note window will have a white background when notes can be added to a file or edited, a light gray background when notes cannot be added or edited.
                Thanks for clarifying things Rich.
                Is there some reason we can't add in the Year, Make, Component, and Condition on the BMP bitmap files-??
                The Solus Pro used to allow us to select screen shots to either BMP, OR jpg...
                What if we were to save a file ad a JPG -?? Could we then add into those fields.

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Flatrater
                  The way he worded his question I was wondering if he were trying to open the file with something like notepad or a hex editor.
                  He did post in the SSC forum but he didn't specify that he was using SSC. That's why I put up the link. SSC is a fantastic program -!!!!

Comment

• Flatrater
                    • Dec 2013

Is there some reason we can't add in the Year, Make, Component, and Condition on the BMP bitmap files-??
                    Yes, there is a really good reason.

A BMP file is a very specific type of file that has been around forever and, as such, has a specific format. This format doesn't support adding information like you've listed.

A creative programmer could however, allow you to create text and paste it into the image (creating a new image) with the tags you would like. It could be as simple as selecting the image, opening up a dialog box and entering your info, and then clicking a button.

Another thing they could do is to create a file to describe the BMP file (that SSC would recognize) but then you'd have a problem if you relocated or deleted stuff.

The Snap On data files (SCM, SNP, VSM, etc) can take advantage of the ability to encode whatever information they want into it. It is their file format and can be anything they want it to be. Same thing with OE files for their scan tools. Some are more forward thinking than others.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                      • Feb 2012

Hiding text in a bitmap image is easy, and can even fun 8^)

Comment

• Wheel
                        • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
                        Will it ever be possible to edit Verus scanner files in this manner - adding or correcting vehicle data fields, writing notes, etc? it would really be handy and add to the value of these.
                        You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Flatrater
                          • Dec 2013

Originally posted by BMW JEDI
                          Hiding text in a bitmap image is easy, and can even fun 8^)

http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/...-in-a-bmp-file
                          LOL

Yes, but the idea isn't to hide it :-)

You also don't want to overwrite what you saved.

Comment

• Crusty
                            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Flatrater
                            LOL

Yes, but the idea isn't to hide it :-)

You also don't want to overwrite what you saved.
                            EXACTLY. You don't want to change the picture AT ALL-!! You just want to put in additional information regarding a particular file and do that in SSC.

This bitmap was added to and then saved as a JPG. Not the same as adding information into the box at the bottom centre in SSC.
                            There was unused area in this image but you don't want to do this to an image of graphs.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
                              Snap-on D&I
                              • Nov 2006

Originally posted by Wheel
                              Will it ever be possible to edit Verus scanner files in this manner - adding or correcting vehicle data fields, writing notes, etc? it would really be handy and add to the value of these.
                              It is currently possible to add notes to the .PIDs file on a Verus in the Data Manager. It is also possible to add or edit notes for a .PIDs in the note field using SSC.
                              I don't remember offhand when this was added to Verus, but I think it was around 15.4.

Comment

Working...