Built in Guided Diagnostics dependent on Current Update?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Built in Guided Diagnostics dependent on Current Update?

For those on a budget who buy used Snap On scanners or only update every 3 or 4 years in the coming years after The Introduction of the Cloud Based Altus Drive this year. Is the Former Built in guided Diagnostics and Trouble shooter with the connector pin view and most commonly replaced parts graphs going Bye Bye for good now and no longer going to be available on tool with expired software to see very soon because it's being shifted to the cloud with links that will require current sub to work? It's not like I need my hand held often, but it's nice to know it always there when you do need it. Benefits over the Price Point ChinaMan stuff is older Obd 1 coverage has always been included , Special Functions may not be as plentiful and diverse as some Chinaman tools but what's listed as function on tool is generally works , being less Hit or Miss and generally have always had built in guided diagnostics. After the Solus Ultra Final Update, my best scenario guess be The Euro will be included and the OBD1 coverage and motorcycle coverage will become optional and need to be unlocked. Guided diagnostics will be strengthened and oil capacity specs will expand to include all the vehicle electrical and fastener torque spec lists in Mitchel for access with a current subscription
    Last edited by Witsend; 12-09-2018, 09:19 AM.
  • GypsyR
    • Jul 2017

I guess you are saying that you believe they are going to eliminate the on-board "troubleshooting tips" in favor of the "guided diagnostics"? Right now our newer scanners have both. Currently I find the guided diagnostics to be be close to useless. And completely useless if I happen to be out of wifi range. Troubleshooting on the other hand is often very helpful. Many a time I've read a code that will show as undefined. I just have a code number with not even a clue as to what it relates to. Since the scanner "can't" identify the code there is no guided stuff. However, often as not I can back up into troubleshooting and see the code number listed. Clicking on it brings up the definition of it, some more info about how it relates and then the tips on what might be done about it.

My take from this is that the scanner's OBD software still needs work. The guided diagnostics stuff has a LONG way to go to even start to be useful. And if they try taking away the on-board troubleshooting and reference material they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. Moving it to "the cloud" (somebody else's computer somewhere on the internet) isn't an option I will go for. I've already had issues with other situations where I couldn't connect to mission critical cloud info. It's like not having your own specialty tool and just using the tool lending program at the parts store. What do you do when you find you've GOT to have it outside of parts store hours? Next chance you get, you buy your own tool and keep it in your box.

I know "cloud" stuff is currently in fashion as a way to squeeze more money out of people but at some point enough people will be disappointed by it that it will become less popular. Or so I hope. People like Adobe are trying subscription based services like charging small monthly fees to use their programs versus paying a big price up front to just own the programs. Microsoft is kicking around doing the same with Windows. I've yet to see a single implementation of any of that stuff that I like or want anything to do with.

I'm lucky to be able to use both right now. But if I had to choose between the new guided diagnostic software with constant updates and an outdated scanner (17.4 or so?) with the existing reference material it has on it now, the outdated tool wins without even a second thought.

The "always connected" trend completely ignores that there are literally millions of people right here in the US who don't even have internet access at all. But they have vehicles that need to be repaired and maintained.

Comment

• Crusty
      • Dec 2007

Originally posted by GypsyR
      I guess you are saying that you believe they are going to eliminate the on-board "troubleshooting tips" in favor of the "guided diagnostics"? Right now our newer scanners have both. Currently I find the guided diagnostics to be be close to useless. And completely useless if I happen to be out of wifi range. Troubleshooting on the other hand is often very helpful. Many a time I've read a code that will show as undefined. I just have a code number with not even a clue as to what it relates to. Since the scanner "can't" identify the code there is no guided stuff. However, often as not I can back up into troubleshooting and see the code number listed. Clicking on it brings up the definition of it, some more info about how it relates and then the tips on what might be done about it.

My take from this is that the scanner's OBD software still needs work. The guided diagnostics stuff has a LONG way to go to even start to be useful. And if they try taking away the on-board troubleshooting and reference material they'll be shooting themselves in the foot. Moving it to "the cloud" (somebody else's computer somewhere on the internet) isn't an option I will go for. I've already had issues with other situations where I couldn't connect to mission critical cloud info. It's like not having your own specialty tool and just using the tool lending program at the parts store. What do you do when you find you've GOT to have it outside of parts store hours? Next chance you get, you buy your own tool and keep it in your box.

I know "cloud" stuff is currently in fashion as a way to squeeze more money out of people but at some point enough people will be disappointed by it that it will become less popular. Or so I hope. People like Adobe are trying subscription based services like charging small monthly fees to use their programs versus paying a big price up front to just own the programs. Microsoft is kicking around doing the same with Windows. I've yet to see a single implementation of any of that stuff that I like or want anything to do with.

I'm lucky to be able to use both right now. But if I had to choose between the new guided diagnostic software with constant updates and an outdated scanner (17.4 or so?) with the existing reference material it has on it now, the outdated tool wins without even a second thought.

The "always connected" trend completely ignores that there are literally millions of people right here in the US who don't even have internet access at all. But they have vehicles that need to be repaired and maintained.
      Hey GypsyR, I simply couldn't agree more-!!!!!!!!!!!!

Comment

Working...