Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • divotfreely
    • Nov 2018

New Solus Pro user and need help with personality keys

So I looked through a lot of the pages and could not find the answer to my questions. I am hoping to get some help understanding the personality keys and adapters.

I recently got a Solus Pro and looking through the DEMO mode I am glad I got the scanner, but I have never used a Snap On scanner before. All the scanner came with was the battery and the AC/DC plug.
    Initially I am going to use it with a 2000 Chevy s10 and an 2008 Chevy Aveo.
    This Solus Pro is only updated to 9.4 but it looked like it covers through 2009.
    So I think I need a lighter plug in, GM adapter, GM key and a battery charger.
    Am I on the right track?

Thanks for your time.
  • kirkbarrow.garage
    • Jan 2015

Originally posted by divotfreely
    So I looked through a lot of the pages and could not find the answer to my questions. I am hoping to get some help understanding the personality keys and adapters.

I recently got a Solus Pro and looking through the DEMO mode I am glad I got the scanner, but I have never used a Snap On scanner before. All the scanner came with was the battery and the AC/DC plug.
    Initially I am going to use it with a 2000 Chevy s10 and an 2008 Chevy Aveo.
    This Solus Pro is only updated to 9.4 but it looked like it covers through 2009.
    So I think I need a lighter plug in, GM adapter, GM key and a battery charger.
    Am I on the right track?

Thanks for your time.

Hello divotfreely, the update # refer to the year ( first digit ) then the quarter of the year ( second digit ) so in your case 9.4 is 4th quarter of 2009, so your quite right there, also by using same vehicle in 2010 you could work on 2010 and possibly 2011 ( hoping the manufacturer made no changes those years to models ) .

Also, when you are connected to a vehicle, the Solus Pro draws power through the connection and does NOT require extra through the DC connecter on the rear.

Comment

• divotfreely
      • Nov 2018

Thanks for your help.

I have a tech degree, about 5 years of experience and have used many scanners, but never snap on.
      I have always had to purchase my own tools and since snap on is so expensive....

That said can you tell me when the different vehicle adapters/ personality keys are needed?
      After putting in vin info for a s10 I have, the Solus pro says no key needed to connect. So Do I need to use the GM-1 adapter ? And why not a personality key also?

If there is a good tutorial somewhere about snap on keys and adapters-please tell me where.

Comment

• Crusty
        • Dec 2007

Originally posted by divotfreely
        Thanks for your help.

I have a tech degree, about 5 years of experience and have used many scanners, but never snap on.
        I have always had to purchase my own tools and since snap on is so expensive....

That said can you tell me when the different vehicle adapters/ personality keys are needed?
        After putting in vin info for a s10 I have, the Solus pro says no key needed to connect. So Do I need to use the GM-1 adapter ? And why not a personality key also?

If there is a good tutorial somewhere about snap on keys and adapters-please tell me where.
        There are several "protocols" for connectivity used by a variety of manufacturers.
        Fortunately for you, the Solus-PRO is already passing the information from the OBD-II connector directly through the cable to the scan tool without a personality key to redirect, or change the signals (for an appropriate vehicle & key usage)
        Your S10 might need a "personality key" for things such as ABS but not for engine ECM data & bi-directional controls.
        You'll find it very easy to use on most GM vehicles prior to C.A.N. (controller area network) which started around 2005 & 2006.

Comment

• SnapOnKid
          • Jan 2011

Not sure if this helps, but should give you an idea of what cars take what personality keys.
          Attached Files

Comment

Working...