Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Crusty
    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
    It kinda nice to have something you can quick and grab to take under dash or under the hood with you and you don't need ten feet of test leads. I'm not comfortable placing my Verus in precarious positions. Maybe there is some thing to be said for having the scope separate from the scanner, less cables and leads to mess with.
    I like a scope to scope, and a scanner to scan.

I don't expect a Focus to do what a 1-ton Diesel Dodge 4x4 can do-!! LMAO

Dad's an electrical engineer and K.I.S.S. still holds true today as it has for decades.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

You want to see an even better one ? 2014 Santa Fe 2.0 GDI Turbo came in, I looked at the oil change sticker, hmmmm ? 25,000 miles on the oil, I must have messed up when I wrote that sticker I thought, until I loosened the drain plug and nothing came out until a glob of tar made it's appearance. The oil needed to be prodded a little with some ATF just to get it flowing out the drain. I then put some 0W20 with some ATF and ran it for about a half hour at 2500 RPM and drained it again then put the right synthetic in. " Ma'am this might not be a 15 minute oil change as I might have to remove the old oil with a hammer and chisel" Sign on the dotted line that I am not responsible for any engine damage past this point. I didn't think synthetic oil would thicken up like this even with an extended change interval. The turbo gets the oil pretty hot I suppose.
      Attached Files

Comment

• Crossland Auto
        • Jul 2014

Greasy, I had one like that. Customer started working for CarMax. Bought an '01 Silverado 4.8 from his own work. (Vehicle passed their inspection.) I had to use a Torx driver too get the sludge to run out of the drain hole. The filter was basically a brick. I showed him, he did not believe me. A couple oil changes later, towed in with broken valve spring. As soon as I pulled cover off, called him so he can see the sludge. (Hated to do it, but felt good proving I was right.)

Long story short, declined repairs, towed back to his work. They gave him a newer truck with continuation of the same payment plan. He made out good, just have not seen him in a while.

X

Comment

• dodge90
          • Oct 2014

guess he should have done a "car fax" on it. they show everything about a car. ILMAO!!!!!!!
          I've tried and tried, but can't seem to fix stupid!

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

Saving large files (fast sweep times) is not the Vantage Ultra strong point. Not sure how much memory this thing has. Slow sweep times like mass air sensors is great though. still playing it though and liking it. Dirty MAF and clean MAF below.
            Attached Files

Comment

• Crossland Auto
              • Jul 2014

Back up and running again with the new unit. Yes, he put it in demo mode until the date passed for the free update. It timed out on Saturday, he was supposed to show Monday, but his back was locked up from when his old tool truck was totaled by a flatbed tow truck backing out without looking. All is good now, kind of sucked when a '97 F250 Heavy Duty showed this morning. My Modis always locked up trying to scan it. Was hoping he would show early. Good thing my old man still has the red brick. Going to try the new unit tomorrow.

Anybody ever had an issue with a certain vehicle that messes with their scanner? This one is a '97 F250 with 5.8, GVW over 8500, auto, with air. I enter the vin, answer the questions. It has always made it to the screen asking, Y to accept, N to change. Y or N would not work. The only button that would work was Power off. I have always had to use the brick or Launch.

X

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Saving large files (fast sweep times) is not the Vantage Ultra strong point. Not sure how much memory this thing has. Slow sweep times like mass air sensors is great though. still playing it though and liking it. Dirty MAF and clean MAF below.
                I don't see much enough difference in the peak voltage between the Snap Throttle of the dirty one ( 2 throttle snaps) and clean one ( one throttle snap) for me to tell conclusively it needs a new MAF. If no air leaks to resolve, I just clean MAFs and look for reduction of higher than normal fuel trims. If an improvement is noticed , but still don't accelerate like a Raped Ape , I rule out restricted exhaust then recommend a new MAF.
                MAF issues eat up a disproportionate of time triing to rule other things out. I have a 2000 Lexus RX 300,I cleaned MAF , noticed little difference in sluggish acceleration I just ordered a new Denso one from Rock Auto for $75 with no core.

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

I did about 10 throttle snaps before and after cleaning to get an average. The idle voltage seemed smoother after cleaning and the peak was about .2 to .3 volts higher. Not that much different, I was more interested in figuring out how to save a file and then down load the data from the Vantage Ultra and then posting the results. A little disappointing that you can't just plug a flash drive into the Vantage Ultra and down load the data to that like you can with the Verus, but it still works to connect directly to a PC and then view it on Shop Stream Connect.
                  Last edited by greasybob; 08-27-2015, 12:17 PM.

Comment

• Crusty
                    • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                    I did about 10 throttle snaps before and after cleaning to get an average. The idle voltage seemed smoother after cleaning and the peak was about .2 to .3 volts higher. Not that much different, I was more interested in figuring out how to save a file and then down load the data from the Vantage Ultra and then posting the results. A little disappointing that you can't just plug a flash drive into the Vantage Ultra and down load the data to that like you can with the Verus, but it still works to connect directly to a PC and then view it on Shop Stream Connect.
                    The Solus-PRO and the Vantage-PRO, both have the ability to plug in a USB stick. Easy and simple to save files permanently to a computer.
                    The Solus-Ultra needs to be plugged into a computer and not having a USB port on the machines seems like a step backwards to me.
                    Backing up your saved files falls under the Rule-#2 of computers.....

Comment

• dodge90
                      • Oct 2014

So typical sat end of month, bunch of insp.to be done, stripped lug nuts, wheels stuck on , oil plugs stripped, filters in hard places on way to tight. Getting ready to go for a quick lunch, boss asked me to do a quick ofl ok, get car on lift customer comes in and says while its on the lift rotate tires,slow leak in LF & RR, I have a shimmy at 70mph., check for a rattle in front end, ands my abs lite on every once in a while. WTF, cold steak and cheese for me. quick ofl my butt.

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

So typical sat end of month, bunch of insp.to be done, stripped lug nuts, wheels stuck on , oil plugs stripped, filters in hard places on way to tight. Getting ready to go for a quick lunch, boss asked me to do a quick ofl ok, get car on lift customer comes in and says while its on the lift rotate tires,slow leak in LF & RR, I have a shimmy at 70mph., check for a rattle in front end, ands my abs lite on every once in a while. WTF, cold steak and cheese for me. quick ofl my butt.
                        Is OFL shorthand with an accent put on it for AWFUL. Quick Waiter LOF or was it LOL It's Sunday now, Thank God
                        Last edited by Witsend; 08-30-2015, 08:35 PM.

Comment

• Crossland Auto
                          • Jul 2014

Originally posted by dodge90
                          I feel for you Dodge, I had one on Fri. Guy drove down from Ski resort area to purchase a customers Avalanche that I have been servicing since 2010. After 3 phone calls I tell him that it is immaculate, I would buy it myself if I could afford it. They show up after a 2 hour freeway test drive. Guy wants a compression test. I try to show him a relative test with a current probe. His response was, "That means nothing to me, I am an ex mechanic, I did this for 6 years 20 years ago." (I knew right then, my Fri. just took a dive.) The shop was already 95 degrees, I laid on a steel underhood creeper, performed compression test in the compartment heat. He grabbed a spark plug, dropped it, etc. Long story short, wanted vehicle on drive on lift to inspect. Was completely shocked that it had Torsion Bar suspension. (was a 4x4). Asked questions like: If the On-Star antennae were to fall of in a car wash, would On-Star be notified, and notify him? My only response: No antennae, no transmit. There is more, but it is Sunday: 8:15 p.m. been here since 6:30 a.m. I am done!!!!

X

Comment

• greasybob
                            • May 2008

Not the old "I used to be a mechanic" line. Just be glad it wasn't an 05 F150 with a 5.4 or a front drive V6 where the intake needs to be removed.

Comment

• dodge90
                              • Oct 2014

you guys are worse than me, might put in 13 hr days but at least sunday is "day off" . Yea, had my last battle w/04 f-150. Needless to say started with bank 2 cam phazer, found pieces of plastic in head, t-chain and guides replaced, bank 1 phazer just because I was thier. 2 miles into road test, bank 1 phazer went full adv., back at shop, phazer went full retard. replaced again, 2 blocks on road test bank 2 did the same thing. RRRRRR! replaced that one. again on road test bank 1 pooped again. replaced with different co. 100 miles later running good. Think I'll stAY away from certian dorman prod.
                              I still have a old "ford" mechanic that brings his 05 taurus in to have the egr cleaned cause thats what he used to do .

Comment

• STURNER
                                • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Crossland Auto
                                I feel for you Dodge, I had one on Fri. Guy drove down from Ski resort area to purchase a customers Avalanche that I have been servicing since 2010. After 3 phone calls I tell him that it is immaculate, I would buy it myself if I could afford it. They show up after a 2 hour freeway test drive. Guy wants a compression test. I try to show him a relative test with a current probe. His response was, "That means nothing to me, I am an ex mechanic, I did this for 6 years 20 years ago." (I knew right then, my Fri. just took a dive.) The shop was already 95 degrees, I laid on a steel underhood creeper, performed compression test in the compartment heat. He grabbed a spark plug, dropped it, etc. Long story short, wanted vehicle on drive on lift to inspect. Was completely shocked that it had Torsion Bar suspension. (was a 4x4). Asked questions like: If the On-Star antennae were to fall of in a car wash, would On-Star be notified, and notify him? My only response: No antennae, no transmit. There is more, but it is Sunday: 8:15 p.m. been here since 6:30 a.m. I am done!!!!

X
                                my response to him "kiss my ***"

Comment

Working...