Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Inside The Verus Edge

Well I'm going to do some upgrades on my Edge now that the warranty is off. I took it apart to get the numbers off the HD and Memory. It comes apart much easier that the first gen Verus. It uses a mSATA SSD Plextor Model PX-64G7Me and a single Advantech 2GB DDR3L 1600 SO-DIMM 1Rx8 Memory. I tried to put a video link here but it seems it wont work?

It comes apart quite easy and I will post a follow up once done. Have to see what is compatible.

Any suggestions?
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Video Link

Here is the link:

Comment

• eddiesverus
      • Dec 2008

Well wow good job on taking that apart. Now it will be a little harder to clone the original SSD drive to a newer faster SSD on a computer now unless you have a PC that supports multiple M.2 slots? Yes 4GB of ram should be good since the OS is only a 32bit system. I'm definitely taking mine apart soon. Thanks for the Information.
      Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• phill57
        • Oct 2007

Cloning HD

I've ordered a Samsung 860 EVO 500 GB HD and two USB 3 msata HD caddies. I know that I could probably create a disc image with Acronis and them restore from the image but I figured if I have the original drive in the caddy I could always boot from it simply by plugging it into the usb slot and maybe changing the boot order in the bios if it doesn't boot automatically off the usb. Plus the caddies were cheap. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

I did this to my Verdict. Cloning the hard drive was a little awkward on that one. I've been kicking around doubling the RAM on my Verus as you can get a 4GB stick for like $25. Let us know if you think the extra ram helped.

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

So did the hard drive actually slip out after removing the 2 screws, or did you find out that they did a D@ck move and it is epoxied to the MOBO ?
            It looks more cheaply made and simpler than the earlier Verus platforms and appears to lack any cooling fan. I think if I modded it, I would expect things to generate additional heat, I think I would Swiss cheese the case top and bottom like Jason Voorhee's Hockey mask and cover holes with fine screen mesh and rig some sort of a cooling fan on the back of it , Lol

Last edited by Witsend; 01-18-2019, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• phill57
              • Oct 2007

Hard Drive

I sure hope it's not glued to the mother board. I never tried to remove it yet. Was waiting til I got the replacement. I'll keep you posted.

Comment

• phill57
                • Oct 2007

Ram and HD Upgrade Success!

Well I took my unit apart again today and replaced the ram with a 4gb stick. It's my understanding that 4 is max with Windows 7 32bit. Partially reassembled and made sure it booted. Then I went ahead and removed the msata ssd installed it in a USB caddy and cloned it to the Samsung 500gb drive installed in a second caddy. Reinstalled the 500gb drive in the unit and booted up. Seems to be running fine. Loads scanner recordings faster and seems to scroll vehicle data faster especially running other software in the background. Another advantage to this is I have the original drive in a caddy that I could reinstall if required.
                Here is a link to a short video: https://youtu.be/FpRcqAQkIVg

Do this at your own risk of course

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Very Cool Phil , glad it worked out. We can't let those lastest Chinaman flash in the bed pan Port freight 08s get the upper hand here can we ?

Comment

• GypsyR
                    • Jul 2017

Glad to hear you think there's an improvement. There almost always is when you give Windows more RAM to work with. Never major, but there.
                    Guess I need to bump adding some RAM up my to-do list. I think the Zeus has the same amount of RAM. Might be fun to ramp up my old Verus and run it side by side with the shop's stock Zeus and watch steam come out of my boss's ears if my Edge outperforms it. It should, they're both identical hardware. I might be able to outperform it a smidge already. I run AdvancedSystemCare regularly and use Driver Booster the keep the drivers updated. The Zeus only gets what Snap-On and Microsoft send it.

Comment

• phill57
                      • Oct 2007

Ram made a difference.

Well used the Edge several times today and I'm convinced it's much better. I used to get a lag when scrolling a list of data parameters or scrolling through the work order list of codes. Now it's smooth. Today I was using AllData, Mitchell and streaming audio from a radio station off Internet while scanning a vehicle. Also has a couple work orders open in a word processor. I'm very pleased. The Ram is easy to do, way easier than the first gen verus was for sure. Tomorrow I have to flash an Audi with some aftermarket tune. Maybe I'll record a video showing the multitasking ability.

Comment

• dp1mat
                        • May 2009

edge

Originally posted by GypsyR
                        Glad to hear you think there's an improvement. There almost always is when you give Windows more RAM to work with. Never major, but there.
                        Guess I need to bump adding some RAM up my to-do list. I think the Zeus has the same amount of RAM. Might be fun to ramp up my old Verus and run it side by side with the shop's stock Zeus and watch steam come out of my boss's ears if my Edge outperforms it. It should, they're both identical hardware. I might be able to outperform it a smidge already. I run AdvancedSystemCare regularly and use Driver Booster the keep the drivers updated. The Zeus only gets what Snap-On and Microsoft send it.
                        You got an edge? If so could you tell me what bios its running? Zeus is running American Megatrends?

Comment

• GypsyR
                          • Jul 2017

They're so identical I would imagine both are running the same bios. I can check Monday though.

Comment

• dp1mat
                            • May 2009

sent you pm

Originally posted by GypsyR
                            They're so identical I would imagine both are running the same bios. I can check Monday though.
                            Sent you a pm

Comment

• GypsyR
                              • Jul 2017

The forum notifies member sof PM's automatically when they log on.

I ran Speccy on both. The only difference I see is that the AMI 5.6.5 Bios on the Zeus is updated to 6/7/2017 where the Edge is 8/11/2015.

Can't have that. I'll be looking for that Bios update next. I don't like being outdated.

Comment

Working...