Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Baddodge
    • Jan 2019

What type of J Box number?

What type of a J Box protacol number is for a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 w/Cummins. TIA Eric
  • bestdamgarage
    • Apr 2016

J2534 good luck with a chrysler /dodge product that old find someone with a drb3.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

I don't believe Dodge has ever fixed their problem of not being able to flash anything with a Cummins with a J-Box.
      I haven't checked in a while though.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

What type of a J Box protacol number is for a 2001 Dodge Ram 2500 w/Cummins. TIA Eric
        I think most current basic J2534 J-Boxes(Programming Go between Interface devices) will at least give you both J2534 type 1 and J2534 type 2capability.If I had to venture a guess Model year 2001 is likely the oldest type 1. I don't see a sliding switch on my Chinese Maxi Flash Elite to select J2534 type 1 or J2534 type2 , so my guess is it will scoop the two types of poop and put it in the right bag.
        Be advised that the J-box will only do what the OE manufacturer will allow installing flashes with stock vehicle tune, axle ratios, and or tire size in most cases.
        Going through OE manufacturer website with a paid subscription will not give you tuner options to set things up to Roll Coal ,raise turbo boost pressures, and run non- stock axle ratios, or adjust speedometer to monster sized tires. I am not sure if you can buy a specific aftermarket tuner program to run on a PC and still be able to use an existing j-box and not be required to buy any specific hardware kit in order to get the aftermarket software program to work )
        Last edited by Witsend; 02-06-2019, 08:08 AM.

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
          I don't believe Dodge has ever fixed their problem of not being able to flash anything with a Cummins with a J-Box.
          I haven't checked in a while though.
          Joe

Joe

You are correct, problem is still there. My Toolbox3 just updated this morning, here is the News page.

Jbox.JPG

Comment

• bestdamgarage
            • Apr 2016

I have heard the china man scanner can put the vin back in.

Comment

• BRIAN617
              • Dec 2016

Snap On scanner can write the VIN if there isn't one in it already...

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

I have heard the china man scanner can put the vin back in.
                Yep the tech wins if used salvage yard ECMs can be made to work., If the original ECM can still communicate with the Scanner ,you select programmable module installation or replace ECM. Besides pulling the VIN #, I believe it also pulls other fields of needed information like the WIN/SKIM?SKREEM coding, Pinion factor etc. I believe the SKIM/ SKREEM/WIN module and possibly the ABS module needs to be disconnected before you plug in the used ECM where the scan tool overwrites the fields in the used ECU.
                I think Snappy might let you write a VIN # to a brand new ECU, but IMO are closer in bed together with Drewtech, the OE manufacturers, and NASTF to see that everyone involved makes money,and does things by the book in the name of Security. Buy a J- box tool ,Buy new parts ECMs, Buy OE Subscriptions, and pay for LSID licensing fees: I say F The System of Downs when you can
                Last edited by Witsend; 02-09-2019, 08:07 AM.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
                  • Apr 2016

i done jeeps with JTEC controler without unplugging the SKIM but you need 4 digit pin.

Comment

• Baddodge
                    • Jan 2019

Originally posted by Witsend
                    I think most current basic J2534 J-Boxes(Programming Go between Interface devices) will at least give you both J2534 type 1 and J2534 type 2capability.If I had to venture a guess Model year 2001 is likely the oldest type 1. I don't see a sliding switch on my Chinese Maxi Flash Elite to select J2534 type 1 or J2534 type2 , so my guess is it will scoop the two types of poop and put it in the right bag.
                    Be advised that the J-box will only do what the OE manufacturer will allow installing flashes with stock vehicle tune, axle ratios, and or tire size in most cases.
                    Going through OE manufacturer website with a paid subscription will not give you tuner options to set things up to Roll Coal ,raise turbo boost pressures, and run non- stock axle ratios, or adjust speedometer to monster sized tires. I am not sure if you can buy a specific aftermarket tuner program to run on a PC and still be able to use an existing j-box and not be required to buy any specific hardware kit in order to get the aftermarket software program to work )
                    We have alot of aftermarket boxes to give mo power. A really good one is the Smarty or EFI live, though I haven't touched the EFI yet. But they have REALLY GOOD reviews.

Comment

• Baddodge
                      • Jan 2019

Originally posted by bestdamgarage
                      i done jeeps with JTEC controler without unplugging the SKIM but you need 4 digit pin.
                      No skim in this year

Comment

Working...