X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PLohr
    • Jun 2018

MT2500 service fast learn adapt on 6L80 trans

Hello,
    Is the MT2500 (with the right cartridges) capable of performing the 'service fast learn adapt' (relearn) on a GM 6L80 transmission? If it can, would you mind telling me which cartridge is needed? This is on a 2008 GMC Yukon XL.

If the MT2500 can't do it, what is the next scanner up the line that can do this? I am hoping to find a scanner that is not too expensive which can handle relearns.

Thank you for any help.
  • ToltecasChavez
    • Apr 2011

What has been done to the car? If you replaced the transmission or module or PCM if it's integrated, then you will need to reprogram it if it gives you a DTC about it and then do a tranny quick relearn. But if it's only a relearn you need to do. Almost any tool that's out right now can do this. Autel, Mac, Snap-On, Launch, Etc. Should be in special functions or tests. Not sure about that old tool you just posted. Have never used it so I can't comment on it. Good Luck!

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

A Trans Adapt Reset can be performed with any Snap-on scanner that works on that year vehicle. The MT2500 is not one of them. Sales of that scanner stopped around 1998, and it was updated for another 6 years or so after that. It won't cover your truck.
      Because you had to wait 12-18 months after a vehicle was released to get scanner coverage, you should probably stick with any scanner that is updated past 10.2 Software Release.
      Those scanners would include:
      Solus Pro
      Modis
      Ethos Pro
      Ethos Tech
      Ethos Edge
      Solus Ultra
      Solus Edge
      Modis Ultra
      Modis Edge
      Any Verus Scanner

If you're a tech and plan to scan vehicles regularly, the Ethos Pro, Tech and Edge are great deals.

Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• BRIAN617
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by PLohr
        Hello,
        Is the MT2500 (with the right cartridges) capable of performing the 'service fast learn adapt' (relearn) on a GM 6L80 transmission? If it can, would you mind telling me which cartridge is needed? This is on a 2008 GMC Yukon XL.

If the MT2500 can't do it, what is the next scanner up the line that can do this? I am hoping to find a scanner that is not too expensive which can handle relearns.

Thank you for any help.
        I doubt the MT2500 ever got updated far enough to cover those trans. Our old Modis would do them that's was updated to 14 or so.

Funny thing is once you get into to, I wanna say 11-12 models, there is no longer that function.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Kind of thought my MT2500 surprised me and it offered Quick learn for older Chrysler 4 speed, if not it was my flakey old Solus that I sold off and still have the MT2500 to deal with OBD1 and some older OBD2
          Last edited by Witsend; 06-13-2018, 06:20 PM.

Comment

• PLohr
            • Jun 2018

Thank you, guys, for your help. This is great. Version 10.2...I will keep that in mind.

Will the regular Solus (not the Pro version) or regular Ethos (not Pro) do the transmission relearn procedure? Assuming the bundle is 10.2 or newer.

To answer the question, 'what has been done to the transmission?':
            It started with a torque converter clutch failure. I had to replace most of the pump components. Vacuum testing the valve body and pump valves showed that only a few are very slightly leaky. Even so, I am going to put the Sonnax Zip Kit in since it is apart. Pretty sure I will need to run the relearn procedure after it is all back together. Still interested to hear what you think.

Have a nice weekend.
            Last edited by PLohr; 06-22-2018, 03:34 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

I doubt the MT2500 ever got updated far enough to cover those trans. Our old Modis would do them that's was updated to 14 or so.

Funny thing is once you get into to, I wanna say 11-12 models, there is no longer that function.
              Strange the function disappeared for the newer models. Never heard the saying You can't teach a New Dog old tricks. Could it be that Snappy's legal department told the engineers to take the function away for fear of Culpability Witch hunt for something that caused faulty transmissions to puke, and blame it on some Quick learn procedure the tool once offered

Comment

• PLohr
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by BRIAN617

Does this mean that the Modis scanners with a bundle version of 11, 12 or higher won't perform a transmission relearn?

Thanks for any help.

Comment

• BRIAN617
                  • Dec 2016

Originally posted by PLohr
                  Does this mean that the Modis scanners with a bundle version of 11, 12 or higher won't perform a transmission relearn?

Thanks for any help.
                  After a certain year model, I was guessing 2011-2012, (6L or 6T trans platforms) there is no quick learn function, only adapt resets. The software version is not the culprit, its the year model of the vehicle.

Comment

• PLohr
                    • Jun 2018

Understood, Brian. Thank you for clearing that up.

I noticed that the list of scanners provided by Joe Rappa leaves out the regular Ethos scanner.

This post also indicates that the regular Ethos is not able to perform a transmission relearn process:
                    Tips, tricks, questions and suggestions... If you want to talk codes, data, functional tests and troubleshooter, this is the place!

You are welcome to correct me if this is incorrect.

Comment

Working...