Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • rpdalton
    • Nov 2014

SSD works fantastic

Decreased my boot time by 75% and makes the tool much more responsive. Takes less than 45 minutes total. Most of your time is spend waiting for the drive to clone.

Comment

• GypsyR
      • Jul 2017

I suspect not being able to TRIM to not be a real issue. ON my laptops and PC's I'm constantly downloading, moving, and changing stuff all the time. My scanner just has to deal with Windows doing housekeeping and the few extra programs like Adobe Reader doing updates now and then. Point being the hard drive shouldn't see near the traffic of a workaday computer and I suspect it would be a very long time before not being able to TRIM affects anything. I've had SSD's in my working laptops not need any attention for over six months at a time (according to the control software) and I keep them pretty busy.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

I suspect not being able to TRIM to not be a real issue. ON my laptops and PC's I'm constantly downloading, moving, and changing stuff all the time. My scanner just has to deal with Windows doing housekeeping and the few extra programs like Adobe Reader doing updates now and then. Point being the hard drive shouldn't see near the traffic of a workaday computer and I suspect it would be a very long time before not being able to TRIM affects anything. I've had SSD's in my working laptops not need any attention for over six months at a time (according to the control software) and I keep them pretty busy.
        I don't recall what TRIM means but if it isn't enabled and working temporary internet files keep building and building up and not removed and fill up the drive with BS ,( kinda like my BS posts take up space ) but I don't believe Windows XP supports TRIM at all, but later service packs of Windows 7 do but thought you still had to go into some sort of Bios menu and enable it, and also turn off any auto de-fragmentation scheduling.
        I just recently had my nephew put a 500GB SSD in my older 750 GB Windows 10 laptop (originally Windows 8) and he specifically said to get the Samsung 860 EVO because it comes with the cloning software.

Comment

• GypsyR
          • Jul 2017

The TRIM is an internal drive function that helps a lot with extending the drive's life under heavy use. A bit like the defrag function on regular hard drives it has nothing to do with the leftover trash from IE use and such. You can clean all that type of stuff up with a nice free program like "Advanced System Care" from IObit that I can testify works equally well on SSD and traditional hard drives. You have to be very careful with it but the program can help housekeep Snap On scanners that run Windows. I use it. A lot.

I'm not big on anything Samsung these days. Their stuff seems all mediocre for some reason. As for software, there is very competent free stuff out there (like Macrium Reflect) you can use to clone hard drives. I think two of the SSD's I bought lately (Kingston and Sandisk) also came with built-in cloning software which worked well.

Comment

Working...