SureTrack Users General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

I'll check this out later. I know that there is no reset function in the Snap On software.
    Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Ok, so here are the only BCM data PIDs that might be of interest. The vehicle is in normal mode as opposed to crash mode and the enable status is disabled, whatever that means. Sounds like one of those double negative things so it probably means it's OK ??? There is no crash reset in the BCM or RCM so a new BCM is on it's way. I tried several other approaches already. Reflashed the BCM and RCM as well as re doing the as built data and all parameter resets all to no avail. The code will not go away. I would like to look at it with an IDS (to see if Snap Ons software is deficient here in some way) but don't have that option right now and it's cheaper to install a new BCM than it is to haul it up to a Ford dealer and pay them to check it out.
      Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

So, the 16 Transit connect with the B1492 crash code in the BCM and a crank but no start, no run ? Turns out it wasn't the BCM that was preventing the no start. The BCM contains the relay to power the Fuel Pump Control Module and the injectors, it was doing it's job. The fuel pump Control Module however depends on the signal from the PCM to run the pump. It wasn't getting that signal. Here is where things got off track. This vehicle is a Natural Gas/gasoline bi-fuel vehicle. It's not the NGV Transit that Ford manufactures and sells but rather an aftermarket conversion that is made with Fords approval. It has an extra ECM to run the natural gas and that ECM is made by Ford and I'm assuming programmed by Ford. The natural gas ECM has a dedicated wire running to the DLC for communication, the Verus of course doesn't support any communication with it. But if you unplug the ECM a code will come up in the original PCM. If you look up the software calibration number in the PCM with the scanner generic function it comes up "Aftermarket". I took a screen shot of the programming menu from FMP and you will notice that PCM or ECM is missing from the menu. So Ford doesn't want you messing this thing up by installing an up date or changing the PCM. But thats what I did for the time being to get this thing driveable and to prove my point that it was the PCM keeping it from running. I installed a used PCM and just did a PATs parameter reset and transmission strategy relearn and disabled the natural gas side of things. Some how I think that the minor collision still has something to do with this. Next I'll call around to the place that did the conversion to see if there is a hidden inertia switch somewhere or if the ECM/PCM needs to be reset to make this thing functional again.
        Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Aftermarket Natural gas Conversions

So, the 16 Transit connect with the B1492 crash code in the BCM and a crank but no start, no run ? Turns out it wasn't the BCM that was preventing the no start. The BCM contains the relay to power the Fuel Pump Control Module and the injectors, it was doing it's job. The fuel pump Control Module however depends on the signal from the PCM to run the pump. It wasn't getting that signal. Here is where things got off track. This vehicle is a Natural Gas/gasoline bi-fuel vehicle. It's not the NGV Transit that Ford manufactures and sells but rather an aftermarket conversion that is made with Fords approval. It has an extra ECM to run the natural gas and that ECM is made by Ford and I'm assuming programmed by Ford. The natural gas ECM has a dedicated wire running to the DLC for communication, the Verus of course doesn't support any communication with it. But if you unplug the ECM a code will come up in the original PCM. If you look up the software calibration number in the PCM with the scanner generic function it comes up "Aftermarket". I took a screen shot of the programming menu from FMP and you will notice that PCM or ECM is missing from the menu. So Ford doesn't want you messing this thing up by installing an up date or changing the PCM. But thats what I did for the time being to get this thing driveable and to prove my point that it was the PCM keeping it from running. I installed a used PCM and just did a PATs parameter reset and transmission strategy relearn and disabled the natural gas side of things. Some how I think that the minor collision still has something to do with this. Next I'll call around to the place that did the conversion to see if there is a hidden inertia switch somewhere or if the ECM/PCM needs to be reset to make this thing functional again.
          That sucks Guess you gotta watch out for that some of the fleet vehicles have the natural gas option added later ?
          Last edited by Witsend; 08-21-2018, 05:40 AM.

Comment

• Brundlefly
            • Oct 2013

Fluid Condtions

I perused GM TSB 16-NA-117 today. Got to the end section titled Fluid Conditions.
            In the second paragraph there are these statements:
            "New fluid is usually red or light brown. With time and miles, used fluid often turns black. This is a result of the normal chemical process that occurs as the additive package in the fluid degrades. The black color does not indicate that the fluid's useful life has been exhausted."

Question: At what time does "degraded" become "exhausted"?

El Steban, aka sleazen.

Comment

• Crusty
              • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Brundlefly
              I perused GM TSB 16-NA-117 today. Got to the end section titled Fluid Conditions.
              In the second paragraph there are these statements:
              "New fluid is usually red or light brown. With time and miles, used fluid often turns black. This is a result of the normal chemical process that occurs as the additive package in the fluid degrades. The black color does not indicate that the fluid's useful life has been exhausted."

Question: At what time does "degraded" become "exhausted"?

El Steban, aka sleazen.
              When it BREAKS-!!

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

When it BREAKS-!!
                Lol, Leave it go and sooner or later they are all become self flushing anyway.

Comment

• Crusty
                  • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                  Lol, Leave it go and sooner or later they are all become self flushing anyway.

Comment

• Brundlefly
                    • Oct 2013

Leaderboard

Amazing. Never thought I would see the day when ericsautomotive got knocked out of 1st place!
                    What happened there, Sir Eric?

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

soaker hose

Had a 83 Chevy cutaway motorhome (350) in the shop with a no start. Checked the carb, it was dry, no squirt when pumped. So I took the line off the fuel pump to if it was pumping when the engine was cranked, nothing. Next I put a vacuum pump on the fuel line going back to the tank to see if I could suck any fuel, again nothing. Maybe the tank is empty and the gauge doesn't work or maybe the pickup tube in the tank rotted off, gauge says half a tank. One more test. I put my smoke machine on the fuel line going back to the tank. There it is. A rubber fuel line that branches off to go to the generator is acting like a garden soaker hose. No breaks in it but it's so cracked and weathered that smoke is coming out from every crack so when the fuel pump tries to pull fuel from the tank it only draws air. Replace the hose and check everything else over for corrosion and it's up and running. Maybe it'll do another 7000 miles in the next 35 years.
                      Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

re soaker hose

Guess That's also goes to show why you should never trust free World War II era condoms for family planning.(or any Yo Daddy gives ya)
                        Last edited by Witsend; 11-08-2018, 08:17 AM.

Comment

• greasybob
                          • May 2008

One more before I call it quits for the night. A 2011 BMW 328i with a starter that spins but won't engage. I gotta see this. Remove the plenum to access and remove starter. Test the starter with a jump pack. Sure enough the gear spins but doesn't slide out on the shaft. Disassemble starter and the gear is froze (rusted) on the shaft. An internet search shows this to be a common BMW problem. It seems that the Ultimate Driving Machine is really just the Ultimate Parked Machine.
                          Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
                            • May 2008

It worked !!! Had a 2013 Cadillac SRX with a broken touch screen or Cue screen as some call it. The whole assembly is quite pricey so I gambled on buying just the screen from Amazon for about a hundred bucks. After removing the control assembly, remove the trim pieces and the storage compartment from it. Then it's just 6 or 7 screws to hold the screen on and one ribbon cable to unplug.
                            Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
                              • May 2008

Had one that threw me a bit this week. A 2012 Toyota Venza that would act like it was in reduced power mode. When I first looked at the Accelerator data i could see that the throttle angle was not matching up too well with the input from the accelerator pedal. A closer look and I could see that the Air Fuel sensor was showing a pegged lean condition under acceleration. The only code I was getting was a misfire on cylinder one. After verifying that all was well mechanically and spark wise on the cylinder I started going after a fuel problem. First to check the pressure, good at about 50 psi and steady under load. I happened to drain off some fuel in a container and got the first clue, cloudy looking gas. Let some settle in the cup and it was about 10% water. Drain the tank and run some good gas through the lines and we have full power again. Now the throttle angle more closely matches the input from the pedal. The only thing that I can think is that the ECM sees the lean condition and starts to limit throttle angle. It almost felt like driving a vehicle with a plugged cat. It never misses or stumbles or surges, it just won't go.
                              Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
                                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                                Had one that threw me a bit this week. A 2012 Toyota Venza that would act like it was in reduced power mode. When I first looked at the Accelerator data i could see that the throttle angle was not matching up too well with the input from the accelerator pedal. A closer look and I could see that the Air Fuel sensor was showing a pegged lean condition under acceleration. The only code I was getting was a misfire on cylinder one. After verifying that all was well mechanically and spark wise on the cylinder I started going after a fuel problem. First to check the pressure, good at about 50 psi and steady under load. I happened to drain off some fuel in a container and got the first clue, cloudy looking gas. Let some settle in the cup and it was about 10% water. Drain the tank and run some good gas through the lines and we have full power again. Now the throttle angle more closely matches the input from the pedal. The only thing that I can think is that the ECM sees the lean condition and starts to limit throttle angle. It almost felt like driving a vehicle with a plugged cat. It never misses or stumbles or surges, it just won't go.
                                Good work Bob.
                                Back to basics & fundamentals again.
                                The fuel quality has always been an issue, even since the days of Carburetors & points & mechanical fuel pumps.
                                Many years ago, it was so funny, the mechanical fuel pump had frozen overnight and instead of looking at the mechanical fuel pump, what was seen was a basketball size glob of ICE encasing the pump.
                                Testing the fuel pressure physically, then taking a sample (since you're already there-!!), then using your HUMAN SENSES and SEEING the condition of the fuel, and not relying entirely on the electronic digital data presented.... kinda makes things simple, doesn't it?
                                The more things change, the more they stay the same.
                                Same thing with your post about the starter drive rusted. Fundamental once you get there.
                                I just expect good work from you-!!

Comment

Working...