• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Acidise
    • Sep 2015

Modis ultra is still a waste as far as I'm concerned

hello
    I basically got scammed
    Wanted to get rid of my old solus but didn't want to lose functionality.
    Went with a modis ultra, 3 yrs of updates, shopkey, suretrack, Internet.
    A few weeks later, still couldn't get on shopkey and nothing proving I had 3 years of updates.
    Asked the dealer and he got back to me a few days later with, only the ethos has free updates, no scanner gets shopkey, Internet access is only to talk to suretrack, and, if you don't do the updates within 30 days of release - you lose suretrack forever.
    So 5 grand in and now I have to pay over 2 more grand every year just to keep suretrack active.
    I asked about returning it - scanner hasn't left the box yet except for touching my kitchen table for about an hour to play with it - hasn't even had the DLC cable plugged into it yet, dealer and his accomplices said it's impossible to return because it's already registered to me.
    So I play with it on a few vehicles - pretty pathetic results
    I play with the demo vehicle mode - 06 Tahoe or something - even more pathetic
    I get a SO diag. Tools tech josh to go over it with me for a couple hours - most of his answers are "I don't know/you'll have to deal with it the way it is"
    Scrolling the screens only moves one complete page at a time - can't move just a few lines down. Some of the words are cutoff at the right hand side of the screen like the formatting isn't meant for that size of screen. The tests and info are usually generic and not geared to the scanner it's being run on and also generic to a vehicle - such as if I select 2013 dura max - it gives me options on how to fix it if it was also a 98 Chevy with a 350 gas engine or an older carb engine, so what the **** is the pint of selecting the 2013 dura as I'm working on if it's gonna tell me stuff for 15 year older vehicles?
    So it sits in its box in the back of my service truck for months because I'm disgusted with it. I get a check engine light yesterday, I scan it in the driveway, it gives me 5 codes. Does it tell me which ones are active? NOPE! Does it tell me how many times each code happened? NOPE! Does it tell me anything further about the code when I click it? NOPE. Does it do anything when I click the code? Yeah, it highlights that code, anything else? NOPE. BUT, it's raining outside and I drive the truck closer to the house and it starts picking up a small amount of wifi and it lets me click the suretrack wrench only to tell me what it told me on the code list page but in a slightly longer way until it loses wifi and goes blank again. I scroll to DLC failed since code clear - it says NONE have failed but there are 5 codes if I go back to the codes list. I take a screen shot of the codes and clear them, code gone, what caused it? Couldn't tell you
    So, it's an old scanner in a new box with generic information meant for every scanner, and since the ethos gets 3 years of free updates using the EXACT same update number as the other scanners then why did I pay 5 grand for this hunk o junk when I can have more information on my hundred dollar Canadian tire OBD 1and2 code checker?
    Tried to scan an older motor home with a EFI 454 on the side of a highway with no one around and no service, wouldn't connect, could I even get a shred of info about the wiring on this thing? So that I could maybe find the problem DLC wires and get it to talk, nope. I found the fuel pump was blowing the exam fuse, unplugged the pump, everything came back to life and the scanner connected but did the scanner have a fuel pump on/off test? Nope. Fuel pump wiring? Nope, anything helpful? I think it told me the idle speed was up adjustable and the timing is computer controlled, thanks a lot five thousand dollar piece of *** excrement. And apparently I got a wicked smoking deal on this thing, the only thing better is a verus for twice the price. And this is just a hobby scanner for me so I wasn't spending 10 large and then some on a scanner. Plus, he took my old solus which had info of the codes that it pulled up and troubleshooter on it in easy to get to format.
    So beware, I was skeptical as heck about buying it and I want to punch every SO rep in the face with a truck because of this.
    This is why I found this site to post this rant. So people researching it can be informed from someone who's not impressed just because it's red and black and costs 12 grand over 3 years, and then 2 grand plus every year after that.
    I'm open to suggestions and questions.
    I hope this helps some people to save their money. And get everything in writing before EVER signing their contract cuz it happens without you even touching your wallet - a trial is a sale to them! A sale bound by law and high priced lawyers.
    Good luck
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

You should ask your Snap-on dealer for a "test drive" of a diagnostic tool before purchase. Most have demo units for this purpose. Most dealers really don't know very much about the diagnostic tools they sell. Also check out the learning videos:

S. Breland

Comment

• Acidise
      • Sep 2015

I did ask him for a trial run. He said here. It has a demo mode. But no demo scanners. While in demo mode he also told me that going from menu to menu takes about 30 seconds but once it's activated it will be as quick as blinking. He is our third dealer this year. I know he doesn't know anything about the scanners. I said no. Next few weeks he keeps on me about them and said he will bring a scanner rep with him. Rep shows up. Tells me all the things it will do compared to the other brands. Answers my questions about it. So I wait another week and decide to try it. I try to pay in full but he says don't pay yet. Put it on SO credit so if there are problems they will definitely want to help you. I did. It didn't impress me at all. The next week he said I can't return it. He brought out a scanner tech guy who said "i don't know" to all my questions. Looked at all the screen shots I had saved as proof of the problems and said maybe they will fix it in a later update. Well for 7 grand to rent it for one year on a tool that's a decade old it had better be fixed freaking yesterday. I've seen some of the videos. SO markets it as intuitive, it's anything but. No DTC list printing from the scanner. No custom file naming on screen shots. Can't just click a code to get the info about it. You have to back out a bunch of screens and then go back in a bunch of screens. Lose half the info without WiFi. Miss an update by a month and lose all wifi access. It's junk unless you're rich and like to show off SO things.

Comment

• VictorsAutoCare
        • Apr 2016

Its a good idea to do a lot of research when spending that kind of money on a scan tool, especially with all the resources out there. I had the Modis Ultra before upgrading to the Verus and I got to say it was a pretty good scan tool, not really something for a hobbyist unless you know how to use it and have a lot of money to burn.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

I don't believe I would even consider spending more than 5k on a brand new Verus Edge with Windows 7 (maybe if pre loaded with AllData and Sure Trak that wouldn't expire in a year)
          Edge looks cool and it's tolerably fast enough for internet duty , however I figure I still got to drop $ on a J2534 Pass through device besides to work on to day's cars, and the Edge VCI does not also double as J2534 Pass Through.(the name Pass Through reminds me that I am at least 5 years past due for a Colonoscopy.)
          A good used Vantage Pro with a later update and possibly getting an Android based Max Cyst Elite kinda makes way more sense to my bottom feeder brain.
          I'm at the stage where, unless the incorporated SO trouble shooter goes into detail of circuit with connector pinout with wire colors, I probably won't use it too often anyway.
          Last edited by Witsend; 05-03-2016, 05:12 PM.

Comment

• Snap-on_ULTRA
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Acidise
            why did I pay 5 grand for this hunk o junk when I can have more information on my hundred dollar Canadian tire OBD 1and2 code checker?
            I agree. All of snap-on scanners are just good generic OBD2 readers. You can get all of the information for specific code and repair procedure just googling the make model year and the code.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

They are still way better than a generic OBD2 code reader, because they offer quite a bit of Bi -directional controls, but since the old built in handy trouble shooter feature has allegedly getting more convoluted to access it and supplanted by the current subscription need based access to Sure Trak on the internet, in my humble opinion it diminishes the resale value of any old used tool, especially if you cannot purchase any Legacy software updates after the 6mo window to buy the final update for them passes. It's also a joke that if you do pop for a newer Edge tablet tool that still has OBD 1 coverage, they have made them now where you can no longer just use the old OBD 1 adapters from the Brick, Solus, Solus Pro, modis, Verus etc, unless I guess some China man offers a $10 go between jumper adapter.
              Just a guess that maybe Snappy is going to eventually include European coverage as standard and Standard coverage will be just OBD2 cars 96 and up, and the OBD1 coverage will then become the extra cost option with the new style OBD1 adapters. Snappy might even resort to giving folk a hefty discount or buy back program to trade in old unsupported Bricks, Solus's , modis models , just to cull the herd of cheap used SO scanners.
              Maybe a Kenosha Homecoming HotRod HotDog Day with free admission and Harley Demos if you bring any old snap on scanner with you. Some how after the Wet Tee contest and a few beers, you tossed your MT2500 into a wood chipper and surrended title to your Dodge Caravan, and riding a brand new Soft Tail home with a brand new Verus Edge and wondering how you gonna explain things to the wife
              Last edited by Witsend; 06-26-2016, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• dodge90
                • Oct 2014

That's one thing I'm upset about snappy is you pay $$$$$$$ for scanners, pass-through, diagnostic equip but they have no reps that can help or train you on the equip. My "equip" rep's answer is like a broken record, just go to the web site or call scanner hot line. More than happy to sell you that new scanner with all the upgrades you need but to show you how to use it another story .
                I've tried and tried, but can't seem to fix stupid!

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

If you can have your Snappy dealer set up a training class with Pro Auto Tech. I've gone to at least 20 maybe 30 of Kevins classes over the years. He always uses the latest Snap On Scanners and software in the class room part of the class and is more than willing to show the tools with hands on training. Highly recommended. http://www.proautotech.com/programsandclasses.html

Comment

• Wheel
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                    If you can have your Snappy dealer set up a training class with Pro Auto Tech. I've gone to at least 20 maybe 30 of Kevins classes over the years. He always uses the latest Snap On Scanners and software in the class room part of the class and is more than willing to show the tools with hands on training. Highly recommended. http://www.proautotech.com/programsandclasses.html
                    well worth the time and money spent. A real bang for your training buck.

Kevin is a very knowledgeable and entertaining trainer. very willing to take the time to answer your questions and see to it that you learned something at his classes.
                    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• tonywait
                      • Jan 2017

wifi not connect to network

hi guys
                      I have this modis ultra for couple years now,my wifi now don't want to register
                      to the networks any where,signal excellent but don't want to connect.
                      any idea?taking battery out and reinstall but not help.
                      any idea will help ,also like to try hard reset but don't know how

Comment

• Witsend
                        Banned
                        • Nov 2012

Tried unplugging and restarting /resetting your Router , modem, Yahoo DooHickee, or what ever ya call it with the flickering lights yet ?
                        Last edited by Witsend; 01-07-2017, 01:02 PM.

Comment

• cleupp3373
                          • Apr 2014

I actually had the same issue just yesterday, after I was connected to my ShopStream Connect with my Ultra, downloading the current version updates and patches.

My settings as of now show that I have...Bundle 16.4 Version 1.7.2.18918 US

Under "WI-FI:" It shows, Firmware: Error: Firmware corrupted?

Off and on all day yesterday and after calling Snap-On support, I was able to eventually log on to my WI-FI at work along with at a couple of other local shops and at home. In other words same as usual.

Snap-On support was very helpful and eager to help, but we did not resolve the issue during the phone call. I just kept trying the procedure he walked me thru which was this......

With the tool on, take the battery out...

Push the Power button for 10seconds...

Re-insert the battery....

Go to the WI-FI settings and let the tool find your network you are trying to jump on and enter your needed info, passwords, and it should connect to the WI-FI.

Like I said it took several different tries during the day but it worked for me, and first thing this morning I checked to see if anything changed and so far today it is working just fine.

I was just checking this site today to see if this issue was out there and sure enough, I read your post. I am posting a reply for the first time today on this website and not sure if this will help you or not. During my conversation with support it was suggested to me that if I can't get it resolved I may have to give my Ultra to my Snap-On dealer and have him wipe out my tool and reload it.

So far it looks like I do not have to do that for now.

I do remember yesterday seeing a message after ShopStream was done with the updates about the possible file corruption for the WI-FI and I wish now I would have taken a picture of that, and I knew right then I had a sick feeling about having a issue with my Ultra and sure enough I did, but, all is well for now

Comment

• cleupp3373
                            • Apr 2014

I also wanted to say that trying to reset your router or modem as Witsend suggested is also something to try, Snap-On wanted me to try that first, but I told them that I had to go through our IT Department to try that process and that would have been not a easy task at all. I work for a County Highway Department and wow the whole ordeal would have taken Months! [No Joke!]

I also told him on the phone that everything else here was online at the time, cellphones,my tablet, laptops, ect... So I was confident that the router or modem probably was not the issue at this time.

I just wanted to add this extra info.

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

Not sure , if Google Chrome preventing someone from downloading the SSC program had anything to do with a possible corrupt WIFI file that might have been detected in the program or not. Maybe Boogle Translator caught something that don't Jive well wit it?

This forum is intended for discussions about Snap-on Diagnostic's Free software. ShopStream Connect
                              Last edited by Witsend; 01-13-2017, 10:12 AM.

Comment

Working...