Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Modis User Forum
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 06-16-2017, 07:46 AM

shaw.jeffrey84 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default Modis obd issue

Have the eems300 modis. Bought it of the snap on truck knowing the obd plug didn't work, but hoping I can fix it. It's running 12.2 and the newer board with usb in left handle.

I go into system info on the scanner plug in, and the serial number is all zeros. Tried updating scanner and it starts, "updating scanner 1 of 6". It stalls and says failed update.

Will a new(used at this point) scanner plug in possibly correct this?
Old 06-16-2017, 07:57 AM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Remove the suspect DLC cable and provide power via AC Adapter and then see what it displays . If it still is messed up I would give it back to the tool dealer and let him know another replacement cable is not simply going to fix the thing.
Old 06-16-2017, 09:55 AM

Tech10 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by shaw.jeffrey84 View Post
Have the eems300 modis. Bought it of the snap on truck knowing the obd plug didn't work, but hoping I can fix it. It's running 12.2 and the newer board with usb in left handle.

I go into system info on the scanner plug in, and the serial number is all zeros. Tried updating scanner and it starts, "updating scanner 1 of 6". It stalls and says failed update.

Will a new(used at this point) scanner plug in possibly correct this?
A new (used) working Scanner Plug In Module should fix it. I would take the scanner plug in module apart and look to see if there are any visible problems. Clean the board & contacts really good. Hopefully you are able to get it working again. Another possibility is that the problem is on the MODIS motherboard or the board in between MODIS & Scanner Plug IN Module. It might be best that you take it all apart and clean contacts & boards. When it's working properly it should successfully complete the System Restore Function under system tool. The "updating scanner 1 of 6" at the end of the update is the part where data is downloaded to the Scanner Plug In Module and that is where your problem is as you know.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:20 AM

shaw.jeffrey84 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Thanks guys. I had already stripped both the modis and mother board down and cleaned all contacts. All looked clean inside as well. Nothing that stuck out as burnt or melted. I had tried snap on m help line with it, and they pushed me towards what you suggested and I had already tried.

Mainly bought it for the lab scope, only paid 300, with personality keys and cables.

I will keep looking for a new scanner plug in.

I did try system restore after I cleaned all contacts.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:31 AM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Thanks guys. I had already stripped both the modis and mother board down and cleaned all contacts. All looked clean inside as well. Nothing that stuck out as burnt or melted. I had tried snap on m help line with it, and they pushed me towards what you suggested and I had already tried.

Mainly bought it for the lab scope, only paid 300, with personality keys and cables.

I will keep looking for a new scanner plug in.

I did try system restore after I cleaned all contacts.

Maybe you can give this procedure for Solus a try? Don't see any reason why the procedure would be any different for the Modis.

http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ad.php?t=12273
Old 06-17-2017, 11:08 AM

Tech10 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
Maybe you can give this procedure for Solus a try? Don't see any reason why the procedure would be any different for the Modis.

http://productforum.autorepairdata.c...ad.php?t=12273
The system restore function is the same thing. The OP is not having a problem with running the software re installation, the issue is that the installation is failing at the end when the Scanner Plug in Module is being updated. So if it started to update after turning the unit on then there is no reason to manually run or change anything on the CF card to reinstall (System Restore) the software.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:28 AM

Springy Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Hi, did you get to the bottom of this? My modis is having the same problem.