Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Automotive Technician
    • Jul 2011

Modis Battery Life

How long Should the battery last in my modis? I only can get mine to last about 15 to 20 minutes on a full charge to do some component testing and so forth.
  • twincity
    • Feb 2008

We have owned a Modis for 6 years. In those years, we have bought two new batteries. A fresh new battery charged by the Modis; usually gets me 2 hours of use. As the battery ages, say about a year, I still get well over an hour of use without recharging.

Comment

• crackerclicker
      • May 2008

AT, I may be completely wrong about this, so don't quote me , but I seem to remember some sort of caveat to charging that involved having the unit powered up in order to fully charge. Do you normally charge it with the unit turned on?

Comment

• Modis500
        • Sep 2012

I've found that to charge my Modis with it on takes about 5 hours or so...but with the separate charger, takes about 3 to 4 hours. Plus, when Modis gets too hot, it stops charging automatically, then you have to go back down to the menu and click on the "charge battery" link everytime to start the process. I've been getting about 3 to 4 hours of use off and on with a full charge, and down to 2 hours if the Scope is left on without auxillary power.
        "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
        Zig Ziglar

Comment

• redbaron
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Automotive Technician
          How long Should the battery last in my modis? I only can get mine to last about 15 to 20 minutes on a full charge to do some component testing and so forth.
          This is why I just bought a new battery- min was just about 23 minutes even.

Comment

• Automotive Technician
            • Jul 2011

I have been charging mine with unit off. I booted up today and scrolled down to charge battery. It run for about a 1 1/2 before it cut off. It's fully charged right now. I will see how long it last tomorrow and report back. I thought you could charge it with the unit powered off. Hope that was the problem. Why does snap on charge so much much for that battery charger? I mean 230 dollars is ridiculous!

Comment

• Modis500
              • Sep 2012

crackerclicker,

You are correct, unit must be ON to charge with battery in unit. Found this out thru help desk one day after I tried a couple times to charge off...does nothing whatsoever for charge with unit off...as for the $230 charger, you also get the AC cord which goes for $65 by itself, but just hunt on Ebay, get one for less than a $100 bill. Mine was $80 for the dock by itself, used. Gotta move quick though, there is so few that go for sale on there, and when they do, they don't last a full day.
              "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
              Zig Ziglar

Comment

• brad_m
                • Dec 2012

I only charge mine with the charger, never in the modis.

I used to do in the modis, but it was a pain and never charged properly.

Comment

• sledfreek76
                  • Jun 2012

If you follow charging procedures and still have the typical fast discharge battery syndrome, go to primecell s website, they rebuild em better, and cheaper than a new one from snapon!!

Comment

• tomtec
                    • Jun 2013

modis battery

I used primecell excellent place all for 48 bucks !!!! tom

Comment

• larj
                      • Jan 2014

charging modis/verus battery

I ran into an issue with charging and after the dealer replaced several under warranty we found the problem.According to the snap on tech dept these batterys learn,and if you keep it plugged in it will learn and it's life will get shorter and shorter.

To repair this turn the unit on and let it discharge till dead,plug it in and charge it. Unplug it turn it on and let it discharge until dead, do this 3 times and it will be back to it;s origional state.

We did this on both of our units and it does work.

Comment

Working...