New to Verus-Many Questions

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Modis500
    • Sep 2012

Okay next question... How often do you guys need to recalibrate your touch screen on the Verus? I have to do mine every other day or so otherwise the arrow is about 1/4 - 3/8" off the touch point. Am I missing something?
    Other than that this thing works great!
    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Joe Rappa
      Snap-on DSD
      • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
      Okay next question... How often do you guys need to recalibrate your touch screen on the Verus? I have to do mine every other day or so otherwise the arrow is about 1/4 - 3/8" off the touch point. Am I missing something?
      Other than that this thing works great!
      I only have to do mine after a re-image. After that it is good. Not sure why it would lose calibration so often. Something sounds broken. Call Tech Support back.
      Joe
      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
      Henry Ford

Comment

• Modis500
        • Sep 2012

One more Verus question: where in the tool do I go to enable the "S" button to save screenshots? Running 12.4.2 on a Gen1. Or can I change the options for the "S" button as I can on other Snappy platforms.

Thanks
        Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Modis500
          One more Verus question: where in the tool do I go to enable the "S" button to save screenshots? Running 12.4.2 on a Gen1. Or can I change the options for the "S" button as I can on other Snappy platforms.

Thanks
          I only had mine stop working once. I used that link above to find the program for reinstalling it.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• Modis500
            • Sep 2012

Verus is hanging up on shutdown, getting stuck on "saving user settings" and will sit there for 10 minutes, or until I hold button down to shut off. I have installed patch from the Verus User Tools page from the Snap On website, but to no avail. Do I try it again or am I seeing a pattern towards a bigger issue? Also, my fan isn't turning on during hotter days, but will click on while inside a car with the AC on... When it's hot, she runs slow and freezes up. The fans known for failure ?

Thanks Guys
            Zig Ziglar

Comment

• Scott_65
              • Mar 2012

One of our other techs has a first gen verus and had to replace the fan. It would run slow also, I believe it was directly related - the processor was getting too hot. I have a laptop the same way. I would get it fixed, I could see it burning up or melting solder joints

Comment

• ericsautomotive
                • Mar 2014

I too have had to have t he fan replaced twice in my older Verus. Common issue with them.....
                Don't guess! Test !!

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Too bad you can"t just transfer the Verus software to a program on a modern laptop with a USB oscilloscope and a J2534 pass through device. Hardware wise a Gen 1 Verus sounds like a pile . Probably be cheaper to mount a Gen 1 on a 6 prop drone and cool it with the drone props till you decide to hover over the dumpster.

Comment

• Wheel
                    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
                    Too bad you can"t just transfer the Verus software to a program on a modern laptop with a USB oscilloscope and a J2534 pass through device. Hardware wise a Gen 1 Verus sounds like a pile . Probably be cheaper to mount a Gen 1 on a 6 prop drone and cool it with the drone props till you decide to hover over the dumpster.
                    Oddly enough, I've had my 1st generation Verus since it first came out, never been sent in for repair, and hardwarewise it has done everything I have expected of it.
                    But then again, I use it as a scan tool and a 4 channel scope (a tool) and not as an internet cruising mainstream computer (a toy). Used as a tool it is more than adequate - although if it had the horsepower to run a Pico and some oem scan tool software that might prove handy.
                    Used as a toy, even if they built it with two 900 tb ssd's, 20 tb memory, a 5000 terahertz 90 core processor, 3D touchscreen, usb 40.0 ports and Windows 20 - it would never be enough.
                    I noticed from another thread they have a Verus edge now with Windows 7.
                    Because of all the complaints on their tools with Windows platforms about
                    "inadequate hardware", I bet there was some lively discussion on whether or not to even use Windows on this new platform as a different system would have been less headaches FOR THEM for this very reason. I think it took a lot of guts for them to put Windows 7 on this new tool, and I for one am glad they did. Now if they would only show the same zeal in making their software more complete and user - friendly as they do in releasing new hardware...
                    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• MonzaRacer
                      • May 2008

Well see its like this,,,

Microsoft took page from Linux book and got use feed back in beta test program, and even though it's based in same class vista its sooooo much better, networks so easy, finds all your computers/printers easier, 8.1 and 10 same way. Sooooooo much better. Gotta older laptop on 10 had my old Toshiba vista laptop smoking with 7 on it.
                      Heck there are couple of guys running stripped down 7/8.1/10 on old pentium single fores with 256mb ram!!!!!! I know of one guy with dual 486s and 128 mb in old server tower think tall desktop used as server, like he used to do, and its running stripped 7 windows.
                      So its not as bad as go think now if SO had tried to use Vista, well they would be in chapter 7/13 by now.
                      7 is stable, efficient and a genuine pleasure to use over 98/XP/vista.

Comment

• Modis500
                        • Sep 2012

Ok Guys,

Had a failure I believe of the touchscreen on my Gen1 Verus tonight. I've had to recalibrate the touchscreen settings alot lately, and tonight I'm unable to touch the links on the screen that I need. The pointer is sometimes off by an inch or more of where I'm touching. Dave in San Jose tells me to send it in, for a small fee of $115 to find out what is wrong... warranty seal is not broken, so I know the memory has never been upgraded and has had no type of work done internally. If I keep this unit, i'll need to find a new touchscreen assembly, and also do the memory upgrades that many of you have done. Where or Who has the aftermarket touchscreen assembly available? I'll go over to the other thread that deals with the upgrades, but I'm unsure if anyone has had to replace their own touchscreen. Also, how in-depth is this repair? It's an old cable-and-keys setup, so it's not worth much with the 12.4 software....so, with that said, I'll just learn on my own dime to try and fix this old girl.
                        Also, I tried to add a wifi mouse to try and use it this way, however I had no luck. Do I need to use a wired mouse to get into it and work around it until its fixed?
                        Thanks for the help guys

Tom
                        Last edited by Modis500; 11-09-2015, 06:46 PM.
                        Zig Ziglar

Comment

• komobu
                          • Feb 2009

on mine, I regularly use a wireless mouse with the dongle that plugs into the usb port.

Comment

Working...