Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bob's Garage
    • Nov 2007

2002 Ford Lightning Programming Dilemma

I ran into an issue This week and have not resolved it, so I thought I would put it up for discussion.

The problem is this 2002 Ford Lightning cannot pass the IEPA emissions test because all OBD2 Readiness monitors are not supported and IEPA rejects it.

20151002-0910-2.jpg

Funny thing. IDS also show the monitors are unsupported but are evaluated (YES):

20151002-1811-1.jpg

I had a conversation with the previous shop who tried to get this customer a waiver and also heard from the other shop, that the Ford dealer was unable to program the PCM and it is now an obsolete part. I hesitated but took the job in since we were recommended as a shop that can fix these issues by the IEPA. The IEPA will not give a waiver based on the fact that this is probably a tuner calibration, or at least, a programming issue.

I am absolutely sure this is an aftermarket "tuner calibration" in the PCM, but I have always been able to overwrite any Ford calibration with either the standard reprogramming or a PMI (Programmable Module Installation).

I am using IDS/VCM. I am update to version 97.3 of IDS. The problem I am encountering is that I get a message from IDS that it cannot reprogram the PCM because it is MPC-206 and should be MFC-422A

20151002-1749-1.jpg

AS it turns out, the hardware is correct for this lightning:

20151005-1105-1.jpg

I called the local Ford parts Dept. and indeed the PCM is obsolete. I asked them for the correct part # and it was given to me as engineering #2L3A-12A650-ABC.

I exposed the PCM under the right side dash and it has a visible tear tag with 2L3A-ABC (tear tags skip the 12A650 since everyone can see it is a PCM) , with a "catchword" code ABU2. These numbers are identical.

According to IDS, PCM Part # is 4C3AA LA. The file name is TALD 3F3.

The IDS offered update # is 4C3A-12A650-ALC which must be legit, it got current calibration info from the PCM, right?

20151002-0925-1.jpg

My question is, what is the workaround? This is frustrating because PCM tear tag matches the factory part #.

Last edited by Bob's Garage; 10-05-2015, 07:15 PM.
  • badcoupe
    • Jan 2011

I've gotten into this trying to flash over tunes before.Used to be it would get rid of the tune but the aftermarket has apparently figured this out. I've tried putting vehicles back to stock with efi live and hptuners tunes and I can't. Does the owner have a programmer that came with the truck when they purchased it? May have to buy a replacement one for it,used or otherwise.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Could you get a used PCM and flash it with the software for the vehicle VIN. FMP will read the VIN from the replacement PCM, FMP always asks if the VIN is correct. If you click the NO tab it should give you the option to enter desired VIN, FMP will then down load the Software for that VIN. Is there anything different physically with a lightning PCM than a non-lightning. I recently replaced a PCM in a 2013 F150 with a used one and remember the process going something like this. Or you could let FMP read the VIN from the original PCM and then switch PCMs before flashing.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
        • Nov 2007

Still locked out

Originally posted by badcoupe
        I've gotten into this trying to flash over tunes before.Used to be it would get rid of the tune but the aftermarket has apparently figured this out. I've tried putting vehicles back to stock with efi live and hptuners tunes and I can't. Does the owner have a programmer that came with the truck when they purchased it? May have to buy a replacement one for it,used or otherwise.
        Thanks, good info. I haven't had one yet that I couldn't program, but this one is telling me it can't/won't. The tuners must rename the hardware to lock-out the stock programming. Wow.

I checked under A-1 Cardone's parts look-up and neither hardware numbers match. Looks like well place phone call is needed.

As of Friday afternoon, I was still waiting for a callback from Motorcraft. The first time I called I got through right away, but got a guy with a Middle Eastern or Indian accent.He said they only handle IDS issues, not programming problems, which is BS.

A year ago or so, I had a shop call me that had installed a used TCM in a Mountaineer. I thought it was locked out but a guy from Motorcraft IDS logged into my PC and got it unlocked.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
          • Nov 2007

Motorcaft to call today ?

Originally posted by greasybob
          Could you get a used PCM and flash it with the software for the vehicle VIN. FMP will read the VIN from the replacement PCM, FMP always asks if the VIN is correct. If you click the NO tab it should give you the option to enter desired VIN, FMP will then down load the Software for that VIN. Is there anything different physically with a lightning PCM than a non-lightning. I recently replaced a PCM in a 2013 F150 with a used one and remember the process going something like this. Or you could let FMP read the VIN from the original PCM and then switch PCMs before flashing.
          I may have to go that way Bob, I mean replace the PCM. I am waiting for a callback from Ford Motorcraft today, in the meantime, we will search for one that matches the factory# given to me by the dealer.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
            • Nov 2007

Reprogramming completed

The programming issue has been resolved. As it turns out, the PCM in question was at one time programmed as a F-Super Duty with a 6.8, but of course was corrected for this Lightning as the VIN was correct.

20151002-0918-1.jpg

So, somehow a tuner must have made it work, but of course could have cared less about the readiness monitors.

The way I got it programmed was to deny the auto ID of the vehicle, typed in the VIN and asked the IDS to perform a PMI.

20151005-1114-5.jpg

20151005-1115-1.jpg

It gave me the choice of Calibration ID, File Name or Tear Tag ID. I did not have to get as built data either.

20151005-1107-1.jpg

As soon as I typed in the Tear Tag # the IDS began to start the programming process.

20151005-1110-1.jpg

20151005-1112-3.jpg

20151005-1112-2.jpg

It went well. I now have the monitors which should be supported are now supported:

20151005-1117-1.jpg

So, the PCM hardware level was OK, just the tuner calibration was the issue. I guess if the tuners plan was to lock out tuning and future programming, it wasn’t working.

Comment

• diesel71
              • Feb 2008

I ran into this once, solved it the same way you did bob. some of the aftermarket tuning software has a code you can attach to the program files. this code is to keep other programing software from reading the files. this is done to keep other tuners from copying the tune and or someone's work.
              example, if someone has a custom tune on there truck and you have the programing software to retrieve the file, you can copy and past that file in your programing software. then sale that file as a custom tune and you didn't do any of the hard work or spend the hours it takes to write the custom tune. I have spent hours on top of hours righting a custom diesel tune and would be upset if someone Stoll it.

Comment

• badcoupe
                • Jan 2011

Great that you got it going and I learned something new.The ones I've had issues with are GM it says the software isn't recognized.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                  • Nov 2007

It's finally over!

Originally posted by diesel71
                  I ran into this once, solved it the same way you did bob. some of the aftermarket tuning software has a code you can attach to the program files. this code is to keep other programing software from reading the files. this is done to keep other tuners from copying the tune and or someone's work.
                  example, if someone has a custom tune on there truck and you have the programing software to retrieve the file, you can copy and past that file in your programing software. then sale that file as a custom tune and you didn't do any of the hard work or spend the hours it takes to write the custom tune. I have spent hours on top of hours righting a custom diesel tune and would be upset if someone Stoll it.
                  Hey Paul,

Thanks for the input, I was almost sure I would need a new PCM and had a few priced in. Actually, I should have sold one to the customer and let them keep their tuned PCM for future adventures.

Alas, the customer whined loudly about the cost of unlocking their PCM and recalibrating it. They thought that it was one standard price no matter how long it took. Sorry, but it had been to one or two other repair shops and finally the dealer who told them they couldn't fix it either.

This one took some time, time I didn't want to give away, just because they have a cool truck. It would have still cost them more to put in a reman PCM.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                    • Nov 2007

Originally posted by badcoupe
                    Great that you got it going and I learned something new.The ones I've had issues with are GM it says the software isn't recognized.
                    I have run into that also on GM products. When using the Tech2 the first 6 letters of the VIN show up as upside down "y"s.

On the TIS to Web page the calibration shows as unrecognized. Makes you think just before you start to flash.

Comment

Working...