Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • piemanpete
    • Nov 2012

MT2400 & LS2000 - would you buy one?

Amateur user newbie here thinking of getting a scope to diagnose things like alternator diode pack faults etc.

Only just come across these older scopes from snap-on on fleabay - anyone know anything about them and are they still a good buy or are they getting to the end of their serviceable life and I would just be buying trouble as various components start failing - like my dear old LR D2 TD5 auto ?

Suggestions/comments/sympathies appreciated.

thanks all

P.
  • SnapOnKid
    • Jan 2011

Originally posted by piemanpete
    Amateur user newbie here thinking of getting a scope to diagnose things like alternator diode pack faults etc.

Only just come across these older scopes from snap-on on fleabay - anyone know anything about them and are they still a good buy or are they getting to the end of their serviceable life and I would just be buying trouble as various components start failing - like my dear old LR D2 TD5 auto ?

thanks all

P.
    If you just want to learn, It might be an affordable way to get your foot in the door. Just know that even though they still work and serve a purpose, Those items are no longer supported. When they break there done with. If there missing something like a part or an accessory that is specific to that model your only going to be able to get that stuff used.

Good luck with your decision.

Comment

• piemanpete
      • Nov 2012

Originally posted by SnapOnKid
      If you just want to learn, It might be an affordable way to get your foot in the door. Just know that even though they still work and serve a purpose, Those items are no longer supported. When they break there done with. If there missing something like a part or an accessory that is specific to that model your only going to be able to get that stuff used.

Good luck with your decision.
      Thanks for the reply - appreciated.

I realise that the products are obsolete and no longer supported (although I think that is pretty poor when Snap-On charged a premium for them in the first place and many professionals, often struggling with rising costs and to compete against franchised dealers, would expect to use these things for years and years).

What I'd like to get an idea of, is whether things like displays are now moving into the area of increasing unreliability and failure. LCDs don't last forever, I know; as I don't know when these models were launched I don't have an idea of how old they must be by now - that would be useful to know. I think an MT2400 I've been looking at must date from around 1998 at least, because it's got a 1.0 licence card in it, covering vehicle models up to 1997. Did the LS2000 precede the MT2400 or did it come out around the same time?

If you can help with that information, it would be very helpful.

Thanks very much.

P.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
        Snap-on DSD
        • Aug 2007

The LS2000 launched in 1995. They were great little scopes. UEI may still support them for repairs, but they're nearly 18 years old now, so I wouldn't guarantee it.

The MT2400 is no longer supported. Like lots of electronics, the parts are no longer available, and support becomes impossible.

Joe
        "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
        Henry Ford

Comment

• piemanpete
          • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
          The LS2000 launched in 1995. They were great little scopes. UEI may still support them for repairs, but they're nearly 18 years old now, so I wouldn't guarantee it.

The MT2400 is no longer supported. Like lots of electronics, the parts are no longer available, and support becomes impossible.

Joe
          Thanks Joe. Do you think they are still useful today, as long as they are still working?

Peter

Comment

• Joe Rappa
            Snap-on DSD
            • Aug 2007

I was working as a Tech Rep in 95 when they launched. I loved them, and preferred them over any other scope at the time, because they were so easy to use, and very reliable. The batteries in them suck, but you can still buy a kit to use 2 batteries instead of one. I just plugged mine in all the time.
            Once recording lab scopes came out, I stopped using my LS2000, and eventually sold it. The LS2000 is still as useful today as it was when it came out. I wouldn't pay very much for one for 2 reasons.
            1)It's almost 20 years old.
            2)Recording lab scopes are WAY more useful in automotive than non recording ones.

Joe
            Henry Ford

Comment

• Wheel
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by piemanpete

thanks all

P.
              Any scope is better than none at all.
              I feel both are worthwhile if they meet your needs. Each has its strengths and weaknesses. If you buy either or both, AESWave.com
              has some specialty leads that can help you expand the usefulness of each

I won't part with my old Vantage because it will do some things NONE of Snap On's newer offerings will, options they seem strangely reluctant to add to their newer offerings.
              Examples:
              None of the newer offerings except Vantage Pro can graph ohms
              None of the newer offerings can graph rpm
              I'll illustrate the needs for these by referring to a job I did this weekend. I was troubleshooting an Allison electronic transmission in an 02 Chevy. The troubleshooting steps called for a pressure test - so many psi for each gear at a certain rpm. Vantage? no problem, just graph psi and rpm at the same time and review and compare it.
              While my Verus has pressure graphing capabilities, and can show rpm digitally, it can't graph rpm.
              I traced the possible problem to a reverse pressure switch that is held from grounding by pressure - switching to reverse or killing the engine kills pressure and lets it ground. I took a divide & conquer approach &
              disconnected the harness from the tranny, backprobed the pin for the reverse switch on the tranny, and hooked up the Vantage. Since no power was available to the switch, I had to graph ohms. I put the tranny through its paces, seen the switch mess up in action, and knew where to go next as a result.

With the KV module, the Vantage can graph secondary ignition parameters like power and waste KV, burn time, and burn voltage.
              Since the newer offerings are very capable ignition scopes, some may question the need to graph these. I say because they show trends much the same way graphing out scan data does. Sometimes you can see what you need from trend analysis easier than viewing actual waveforms.

They'll get my old Vantage when they pry it from my cold, dead hands
              because of these unique features they don't see fit to add to their newer stuff - in fact, I may buy a few spare ones if funds allow.
              It's generally best to seek out version 5 to 7 software if you can find it.
              You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• piemanpete
                • Nov 2012

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
                I was working as a Tech Rep in 95 when they launched. I loved them, and preferred them over any other scope at the time, because they were so easy to use, and very reliable. The batteries in them suck, but you can still buy a kit to use 2 batteries instead of one. I just plugged mine in all the time.
                Once recording lab scopes came out, I stopped using my LS2000, and eventually sold it. The LS2000 is still as useful today as it was when it came out. I wouldn't pay very much for one for 2 reasons.
                1)It's almost 20 years old.
                2)Recording lab scopes are WAY more useful in automotive than non recording ones.

Joe
                That's really helpful, Joe, thanks.

So if an LS2000 is on ebay for $380 inc taxes and shipping, would you consider that worthwhile, or is there a more modern product around the same price that would do the job better - ie a recording scope?

Sorry about all the questions but I don't have much money and don't want to make an expensive (for me) mistake. I know there are many scopes coming out of China that claim to be automotive digital scopes (that you attach to a laptop) - do any of them compare?

Peter

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                  Snap-on DSD
                  • Aug 2007

It's always hard to tell someone else what something is worth. LS2000s still can bring that kind of money off a tool truck, and sometimes more when it is financed. A patient person could probably find one for $250.00 or so. A quick craigslist search just found one for that price in Alaska.
                  It's up to you what to pay for one though, and that includes who you trust to sell you a used one...but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know.

Joe
                  Henry Ford

Comment

• Modis500
                    • Sep 2012

I've been seeing the old Vantage DMM going for around $200 or so on ebay. Once in a while you'll get an anxious seller put one on for about $150- but they don't last long! Some even have 6.0 or even 7.0 with leads and case. Haven't used one before, as I've had my Vantage Pro and Modis. But even @ 200, that's not expensive, and don't forget, this isn't a cheap field to be in. Every Tom, Dick, and Harry think they can do this, but when it comes time for electronics, many of the parts slingers get mad @ the cost of Diag equipment, when the real guys who excel and want to learn don't mind paying $5,6, or even 10K... noticed many of the Senior Members on here have Multiple scan tools, not just one, as you know, one tool won't do it all. These are the guys who have a passion and can find the answers in a hurry, and have taken their lumps through the years and stuck it out. Respect goes out to these guys. They have most of the answers at the tip of their finger in just minutes!
                    "If you aim for nothing, you'll hit it every time!"
                    Zig Ziglar

Comment

• piemanpete
                      • Nov 2012

Thanks for those replies, guys.

I'm actually in the UK and my #1 concern is keeping my 2000 Land Rover Discovery TD5 (diesel) auto going. #2 is my 1999 Skoda Felicia 1.3 manual and #3 my wife's 2007 Hyundai Amica 1.1 auto.

I know very little about diagnostics but I would like to know more if I can get the right equipment without it costing too much.

The www.ebay.co.uk vendor of these two items is i2igbcom - perhaps you could take a look at the two scopes and what he's saying about them and tell me if you think he's kosher - I think he is - you can see he also has a website at www.cooltechniques.com - and is obviously very knowledgeable in electronics.

Thanks

Peter

Comment

• GRUSS
                        • Nov 2012

Hi Peter

Is this the item in question? Tell me if my IPad link doesn't work for you..

[url]http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Snap-on-Sun-LS2000-Auto-Oscilloscope-Complete-Kit-/370666690668?pt=UK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment&hash =

Is it a scope you want or a decent DMM? I went out and bought a brand new pico last year and I'll admit it was like jumping in the deepend. I work at a main dealer so struggled to use it, spent most of my learning in my own time. In the end I was offered a good price for it, so sold it and managed to pick up a very cheap vantage pro off eBay ( bargain of the year I believe!)

If you want to learn the basics spend a few hours watching Paul danner on YouTube (type in scannerdanner) you'll soon pick loads up. Personally I love the VP as I've got a little background knowledge with the pico but you'll always be learning with a scope..

I did nearly buy the original vantage as well as it an graph almost anything, as other people have mentioned...

Russ
                        Last edited by GRUSS; 12-31-2012, 10:55 AM. Reason: Oops

Comment

• piemanpete
                          • Nov 2012

Hi Gruss.

Yes, that is the scope in question and yes, I want a scope so I can see what components are doing, such as the rectified (or not) waveform from the alternator.

Same ebay vendor was selling a Vantage Pro I think - now gone, for £235.

I'll take a look at Paul Danner's stuff on youtube - thanks for the tip.

All the best,

Peter

Comment

• GRUSS
                            • Nov 2012

Peter
                            I looked at the LS2000 yesterday on YouTube and it does look like a good bit of kit. The eBay seller gives a warranty and has made a custom battery pack so it might be worth buying.
                            The VP would have been a steal at that price as well!

Comment

• piemanpete
                              • Nov 2012

Thanks Gruss.

Well, it's just after Christmas and so ready cash is in short supply, so it might have to wait a while!

But the LS2000 does look like good value,

Peter

Comment

Working...