Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hedjhawg
    • Nov 2018

Ram 1500 ITBM

I just moves the Integrated Trailer Brake Module (ITBM) and controls from a 2016 Ram 1500 to a 2018 Ram 1500 (same part number for both years). It seems that I should be able to turn the controller on myself without taking the truck to the MOPAR dealer.

Solus displays the ITBM module, but will not connect. I suspect it is either because (a) the truck is a 2018, and even though I manually input the VIN, Solus just doesn't want to talk to it (though it will communicate with other modules...), or (b) I need to turn on another feature elsewhere before it will recognize the ITBM.

Input appreciated. Thanks.
  • Steve6911
    • Feb 2007

Not 100% sure but I think you will need a Witech and do a system config on it. Parts may have the VIN's in them from the donor vehicle.

Comment

• Witsend
      Banned
      • Nov 2012

Not 100% sure but I think you will need a Witech and do a system config on it. Parts may have the VIN's in them from the donor vehicle.
      A WiTech might not be needed, but the alternative looks to be a PITA. What's happening to our right to repair disappearing using the thinly veiled excuse of vehicle security. After warranty is over the customer should have the right to have the dealer remove the Draconian Security measures if they wish to get the cars serviced by the aftermarket

Comment

• Steve6911
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Witsend
        A WiTech might not be needed, but the alternative looks to be a PITA. What's happening to our right to repair disappearing using the thinly veiled excuse of vehicle security. After warranty is over the customer should have the right to have the dealer remove the Draconian Security measures if they wish to get the cars serviced by the aftermarket

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XPNx...ature=youtu.be

That is incorrect, that adapter is used when the vehicle uses the newer secure gateway which a 2018 has but it (the Autel) cannot configure the systems.

Also if you think your right to repair is disappearing this is not a forum that can make a difference. Go to WWW.NASTF.org, become a member and get involed
        Last edited by Steve6911; 11-23-2018, 01:26 PM.

Comment

• bestdamgarage
          • Apr 2016

Originally posted by Steve6911
          That is incorrect, that adapter is used when the vehicle uses the newer secure gateway which a 2018 has but it (the Autel) cannot configure the systems.

Also if you think your right to repair is disappearing this is not a forum that can make a difference. Go to WWW.NASTF.org, become a member and get involed
          You can also keep up with R2R AT IATN.There was also a post not long ago about a bypass plug and still using the obd2 port.

Comment

• Steve6911
            • Feb 2007

And now its not just going to be Chrysler, Jeep, Dodge and Fiat. GM, Honda and I think Ford in the very near future And the Bypass cable for the Autel is not for sale yet, at least I can't find it.

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

There is anew longer better more detailed video out on you tube from Flash Performance with a 2018 Ram . @utel SGM solution for Chrysler, Chrysler 12+8
              320 views. By the time vehicle is out of 3 /36 and some of the New is worn off, customer will have to get used to techs holding the trim back in place and lessen dash rattles with pieces of ribbon sealer. My guess is that there is going to be a jumper harness sold soon to relocate the SGM modules under the dash next to the trailer brake control module or somewhere easy to get to

Comment

• Steve6911
                • Feb 2007

There is anew longer better more detailed video out on you tube from Flash Performance with a 2018 Ram . @utel SGM solution for Chrysler, Chrysler 12+8
                320 views. By the time vehicle is out of 3 /36 and some of the New is worn off, customer will have to get used to techs holding the trim back in place and lessen dash rattles with pieces of ribbon sealer. My guess is that there is going to be a jumper harness sold soon to relocate the SGM modules under the dash next to the trailer brake control module or somewhere easy to get to

Yes, I saw the new video, and AESwave says they will start shipping on the 27th. I don't know if others have already began shipping them.
                You may need this long before the warranty is up, say you accidently set a code during routine service, if you can't clear the code what are you going to do? If you work for or in body shops that work is not under warranty either. Of course being the way Autel does things it's a backdoor method. I know S.O. is working on a way around this issue, just hoping its simpler then Autel's way. Imagine trying to road test that truck with the radio swinging from a bungee and the HVAC controls laying across the shifter. I also heard that this is just the start, not only are more manufactures doing this but there are a few more "stages" for these "security" issues. Looks like we are into many more changes in the near future. Hoping S.O. can get around this and soon or I will be buying a WiTech and more then likely a new VCI for it every few years

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

Hoping S.O. can get around this and soon or I will be buying a WiTech and more then likely a new VCI for it every few years
                  I believe the tool companies and the OE manufacturers are in bed together always conjuring up new ideas for new specialty equipment in tools to make money off customers to get it stuck in their Gazzoos at the dealer level as long as possible then come out with a slightly cheaper versions of the must needed tools for the aftermarket repair techs to stick it up our Gazoos. That's why it almost seems like the Commie Chinaman with the cheap work arounds are the Goodguys LMAO

Comment

• Steve6911
                    • Feb 2007

I believe the tool companies and the OE manufacturers are in bed together always conjuring up new ideas for new specialty equipment in tools to make money off customers to get it stuck in their Gazzoos at the dealer level as long as possible then come out with a slightly cheaper versions of the must needed tools for the aftermarket repair techs to stick it up our Gazoos. That's why it almost seems like the Commie Chinaman with the cheap work arounds are the Goodguys LMAO
                    I don't really agree with you on that, I don't think Chrysler wants anyone but the dealer working on their vehicles. I'm sure the SGM is a major pain for tool companies to get around the correct way, not with some cheap bypass. I don't think they even want Indy's to buy their factory tools, look at how many versions have been out since the DRB went away with big $$ and no buy backs or credits for the old tooling.

And once again from what I heard this is just the start of things, I'm sure there will be many more work arounds in store of us soon

Comment

Working...