What test or features would you like to see added to you Snap On Diagnostic tools

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by DougMontgomery
    Bob,

Thanks, I'll make sure to advise my audience when they ask.. However, I have to agree with Wheel. A simpler procedure that all techs know would be much more beneficial to Snap On's cause.
    It needs to be simple For 2 reasons:
    1. If it's too complicated a process, one might be discouraged from
    capturing and providing the information because of confusion.
    2. Or if lazy like me, the less work there is in doing something, the easier
    it is to get me to do it.
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• carriedi
      • Jul 2014

snap on scanners?

I would like the verus software to be like it was in 10.4

back when it was for mechanics and could do better graphs and print outs. the newer software where they try to male it more like a phone or tablet is for kids to play with. I want it to be a work tool. Screw the finger scroll, I want something that will help sell the job. Who decided to make trace one YELLOW? how do you print so people can see that? Yes you could print with the black background if you have stock in the printer company because we all know how much you love buying ink for your printers. Or have to let your paper dry befor you can touch it.

you know that basic things that a shop would want to do all the things you used to be able to do and not be tied down to some kids dream machine.

I have a modis that I won't upgrade and a verus pro that I got because they screwed up my verus when I sent it back to turn back to 10.4 way back when. I will not buy another snap on scanner system until they make it for mechanics. And their ignition scope is bad too. Every modis and verus I have used has the same scope in it. Poor excuse for an ignition scope

have tech2, genisys, modis, verus pro. Need something better form snap on. OE scanners from now on

Comment

• carriedi
        • Jul 2014

snap on scanners?

back when it was for mechanics and could do better graphs and print outs. the newer software where they try to male it more like a phone or tablet is for kids to play with. I want it to be a work tool. Screw the finger scroll, I want something that will help sell the job. Who decided to make trace one YELLOW? how do you print so people can see that? Yes you could print with the black background if you have stock in the printer company because we all know how much you love buying ink for your printers. Or have to let your paper dry befor you can touch it.

you know that basic things that a shop would want to do all the things you used to be able to do and not be tied down to some kids dream machine.

I have a modis that I won't upgrade and a verus pro that I got because they screwed up my verus when I sent it back to turn back to 10.4 way back when. I will not buy another snap on scanner system until they make it for mechanics. And their ignition scope is bad too. Every modis and verus I have used has the same scope in it. Poor excuse for an ignition scope

have tech2, genisys, modis, verus pro. Need something better form snap on. OE scanners from now on

Comment

• dlm1
          • Jul 2014

After reading thru the forums about varied problems and concerns on all your product line( I only use the VP and that is of late). I read other forums also..

Anyway, If you want me to ante up some hard earned cash for an update you need to give me something more than words..

I would like to buy the update, Install it in MY MACHINE, then If I dont like it or its not what you say I can Install my Previous Card and be back to when life was Grand. Since the way I understand, updates-Program are locked to the machine, so why don't guys just go back to there old card?? The Price of a New cf card?

Help me understand?

Capiche ?

Comment

• Wheel
            • Jul 2007

Originally posted by carriedi

Do you mean 10.2? It was changed for the worse in 10.4.
            If you want it back like in 10.2, you have a LOT of company.

There are a lot of features I don't necessarily object to in the new software, but what I and others are still angry with is the abilities they removed that made it more flexible and productive, especially when documenting repairs.

I have a modis that I won't upgrade and a verus pro that I got because they screwed up my verus when I sent it back to turn back to 10.4 way back when. I will not buy another snap on scanner system until they make it for mechanics.

I turned down my free 10.4 upgrade because of the removed features and haven't upgraded since because they have yet to restore these. I agree 100%.

And their ignition scope is bad too. Every modis and verus I have used has the same scope in it. Poor excuse for an ignition scope

Here I have to disagree. While there are additions and changes I would like to see, it is still hands down the best handheld automotive scope available. They actually have made many improvements since 10.2 I sure wish I had, but the features I would lose in giving up 10.2 are worth more to me than these or the wireless and keyless features possible with the newer software.
            AS an ignition scope, there are many things I like better about my Counselor 2, but also many things I prefer the Verus can do that the Counselor can't.

The main areas the scope needs attention on (by no means a complete list)
            are a much longer recording buffer - like limited only by hard drive capacity,
            the ability to work with custom probes and not have to do the math (high amp, pressure, temperature probes, etc), ability to zoom in on saved signals
            on vertical or horizontal scale for superior analysis, and a more user friendly way to get both scanner and scope working onscreen simultaneously.

What we really need from Snap on is people at the decision making level who will listen to their customers who buy and use these tools rather than corporate fatcats who insist on ramming what THEY think best down our throats - like it or not.
            You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
              • Jul 2007

Originally posted by dlm1
              After reading thru the forums about varied problems and concerns on all your product line( I only use the VP and that is of late). I read other forums also..

Anyway, If you want me to ante up some hard earned cash for an update you need to give me something more than words..

Don't hold your breath.

I would like to buy the update, Install it in MY MACHINE, then If I dont like it or its not what you say I can Install my Previous Card and be back to when life was Grand. Since the way I understand, updates-Program are locked to the machine, so why don't guys just go back to there old card?? The Price of a New cf card?

I hope you get farther asking for this than I did. I feel it would be easy to have
              different update versions of the same software coexist on the same drive - at least on the Verus and Verdict platforms, and like you say, if you don't like the new software, switch back to what works for you, then back again to the newer software if needed. As I have stated so often before, this would sure help with the buggy software problem whereas something worked fine in previous software but no longer does or is completely missing in the newest update. Our suggestions on this would at least allow the user to go back to what worked and get back to work rather than having to use a competitor's scan tool (which the user may learn to prefer) to finish the job.

Help me understand?

Easy. You have a company that has gotten so big it has forgotten it still needs its customers to survive.

Capiche ?
              Being able and being willing to deliver what the customer wants are 2 different things. I have every confidence Snap On is able.

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

How about adding the ability to learn Toyota key FOBs. Trouble shooting info is there but the relearn is not on some newer models, at least not that I could find.

Comment

• dlm1
                  • Jul 2014

Yea..The "lunchbox" and the "maxipad" offer going back. I have the original card for my Maxi..and I changed a file around and can load as many cards in it as I have--different version etc. I noticed in the New Updates, you dont have to manipulate the file anymore, it just works :-) So when the soft did keys, but the updated version does not(they forgot to put it in) You can still do the Job you promised your customer you could from your Previous Experience and the Promise the OEM said it would do.

All this is constructive criticism in hopes of being able to Give Snappy some Money when they release the update for the Vantage Pro.

I don`t "feel" the love from some of you Guys Like a NEW MEMBER should regarding the tool Use, but understand That Large Companies have to many "Chiefs and not enough Indians"

I fed My local snappy rep yesterday, ordered the splitter cable for my VP and Hope and Pray my Present Experience with it Continues and they continue to support US first, then the tool.

Regards,

Comment

• greasybob
                    • May 2008

Had a 2013 RAM 1500 today from a body shop that required a replacement Occupant restraint Controller module (ORC). Upon replacing the module a code B2722-00-ORC unlocked All deployment disabled. To clear this code there is an initialization process that must be done with a scan tool. Similar to the GM process I'm guessing, learn the VIN. It would be nice to see this feature added to the next software update.
                    Attached Files

Comment

• Crusty
                      • Dec 2007

Since the CF-card is already "married" to that machine, allowing a customer to "roll back" to a previous version of the product, which they paid for last year, or the year before, isn't creating any "risk" for SnapOn to allow customers to use what they've paid for.
                      This effectively allows someone to practice the second rule of computers.....back it up. (...LOL....the FIRST rule of computers is RTFS...LOL)

If the "initialization" of a new component only requires the VIN input, it is ALREADY THERE in a number of places already on the vehicle in other modules.
                      VIN'S ARE IMPORTANT but SnapOn still hasn't recognized that fact. They've only been important for a couple of DECADES now.....

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

VIN 1FTRF3B61BEB11011. 2011 Ford f350 6.2. Was very disappointed to see that body control module is not on the menu. Only controls half the functions of the truck. Also saw no PATs data and engine bi-directional tests are non existent. Should all be added in future updates.
                        Last edited by greasybob; 09-26-2014, 09:37 AM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                          Snap-on DSD
                          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                          VIN 1FTRF3B61BEB11011. 2011 Ford f350 6.2. Was very disappointed to see that body control module is not on the menu. Only controls half the functions of the truck. Also saw no PATs data and engine bi-directional tests are non existent. Should all be added in future updates.
                          Support for Functional Tests for Ford UDS Systems was added for 14.4.
                          So now there are Bi Directional controls on that truck. I haven't checked on on whether GEM made it in there for that.
                          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                          Henry Ford

Comment

• greasybob
                            • May 2008

Thanks for the quick reply Joe, Hope the GEM is there. Can't service much with out it. Since when are you in NC. When are coming to the Midwest ?

Comment

• greasybob
                              • May 2008

I was just looking over the 14.4 application guide https://www1.snapon.com/display/1068....4AG_FINAL.pdf I noticed that coverage for 2011 F series does not include the BCM (GEM or SJB which ever you prefer) but coverage for that module is included for 2010 and 2012. What gives ? Why is 2011 so different ?
                              Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
                                • May 2008

We should have scanner ability to register key FOBs for Toyota's. I know that there might be manual methods for programming with no scanner required but the methods are long and complicated and may or may not work on all the years and models that they are listed for in Shop Key.

Comment

Working...