Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • sandt38
    • May 2012

No Lotus Coverage?

Had a Lotus in my stall this week, and had no Lotus coverage . Anyways, a quick look at generic headed me in the right direction and I got her fixed.

• Eduardo
    Banned
    • Jan 2012

no Lotus, snap on scanners are just generic code readers. If you want something to read lotus buy maxidas

Comment

• Bob's Garage
      • Nov 2007

Generic code readers?

Originally posted by Eduardo
      no Lotus, snap on scanners are just generic code readers. If you want something to read lotus buy maxidas
      Hey Eduardo,

Are you serious? Generic code readers? Just because they don't cover Lotus? How many Lotus' were sold in North America last year? Or any other year?

I can fix 95% of what comes in my shop with Snap-on scanners and scopes.

Sorry, but you are wrong this time around. Snap-on is NOT a generic code reader.

I agree that Maxidas is a good hole filler for shops using Snap-on scanners, but have you ever tried graphing with Maxidas? The autorange keeps changing back to averages, and there is only one speed of data, no zoom etc...

Thanks, Bob

Comment

• sandt38
        • May 2012

Yeah, sorry, but it has no Lotus coverage. My Verus is definitely far from a code reader. If you feel that way, perhaps you should pick up your owner's manual and actually learn how to use your tool.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
          • Nov 2007

Exactly!

Originally posted by sandt38
          Yeah, sorry, but it has no Lotus coverage. My Verus is definitely far from a code reader. If you feel that way, perhaps you should pick up your owner's manual and actually learn how to use your tool.

Exactly!

Comment

• MarkP
            • Apr 2012

Did you try as a VX220 - As that looks like the Vauxhall Engine...?
            - Mark

Comment

• sandt38
              • May 2012

Originally posted by MarkP
              Did you try as a VX220 - As that looks like the Vauxhall Engine...?
              It is a Toyota motor, actually. From a Celica GTS, built by Yamaha. I tried to go in as a Celica, but it didn't fly. The controller bears a Lotus designation, so I assume that is why it would not read. The OBDII generic data was quite rich though, so no problems.

It actually had an aftermarket turbo and alcohol injection system in it. They piggybacked the controllers, and while my output to the #4 coil was present at the Lotus controller there was no output signal at the turbo's controller. I wound up going back to stock with it. The guy who owns the car bought it used and was uncomfortable with the turbo kit on the car, so we got the parts together and got the job done in about 15 hours.

Comment

• Eduardo
                Banned
                • Jan 2012

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                Hey Eduardo,

Are you serious? Generic code readers? Just because they don't cover Lotus? How many Lotus' were sold in North America last year? Or any other year?

I can fix 95% of what comes in my shop with Snap-on scanners and scopes.

Sorry, but you are wrong this time around. Snap-on is NOT a generic code reader.

Thanks, Bob
                I know for fact that solus, solus pro, ethos, modis are generic code readers.

Just today I had two cars that my Solus v12.2 could not do more than generic code read.
                1999 Mazda protege 1.6L, 2001 Ford Taurus

On both cars it gives me nothing more than just generic code read. The troubleshooter was worthless it just tells me the same thing that code description tells me Duh.

No Saab coverage despite the fact that all Saab 2005 and newer had the same engine management and engines as some GM cars, and lots of Saabs were sold in USA.

How embarrasing is if you work in a good shop and you are making $30 flat rate and you get a work order on Lotus and you just dumped $3k on snap on scan tool that can't give you more than $50 scan tool from autozone on that lotus? Then you got to low your self asteem down to the ground and ask our illegal immigrant 8 dollar an hour oil change guy to use his autel maxidas that we rediculed him banning him from connecting that china junk to any cars that come into a shop, to borrow so that my stuck up *** can scann the ABS ecu on that Lotus?

Plus I feel like my kid playing with LEGO toys with all those snap on KEYS dangling around like some kindergarden toy, LOL.

I can fix %100 of cars that come into my shop with generic CAN OBD2 scanner and up to date ALLDATA!

You got to admit that for long time snap on scanner tools did not have competition in the USA. This is why they grew arrogant and overpriced. Now that Autel is out here I doubt that people will be spending $1500 for the snap on software update for one year when you can just buy the whole scan tool for that price.

Comment

• hefaus
                  • Dec 2007

Gota Love Competition

You Didn't mention the FREE updates on the MaxiDas 708 for a year. Keep Smiling.....

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                    • Nov 2007

Hey Eduardo,

Are you saying that the above scanners don't give manufacturer specific codes? That is simply not true. Beyond that they do much more than check codes such as data, functional tests,Body, ABS, SRS etc...

Just today I had two cars that my Solus v12.2 could not do more than generic code read.

Really? How do you figure? Any codes over P1000 can be manufacture specific codes. Are you saying that the scanners you use give (for example) "P1401-Manufacturer Specific"? I don't think so...

Honestly, I would like to see some examples and screenshots from you to prove it. Especially from these two vehicles:

On both cars it gives me nothing more than just generic code read.

What, no data? No functional tests? C'mon I know better than that.
                    The troubleshooter was worthless it just tells me the same thing that code description tells me Duh.

What code for example, please?

No Saab coverage despite the fact that all Saab 2005 and newer had the same engine management and engines as some GM cars, and lots of Saabs were sold in USA.

I agree that there is no Saab coverage due to lack of popularity. Not that many Saabs were sold in the USA actually. Still, I would like to see Saab coverage as well as Jag, etc... For now, I have the Saab as well as Isuzu, and Suzuki cards for my Tech 2.

How embarrasing is if you work in a good shop and you are making $30 flat rate and you get a work order on Lotus and you just dumped $3k on snap on scan tool that can't give you more than $50 scan tool from autozone on that lotus?

Why be embarrased that you don't have scanner that covers Lotus? Who does?

Then you got to low your self asteem down to the ground and ask our illegal immigrant 8 dollar an hour oil change guy to use his autel maxidas that we rediculed him banning him from connecting that china junk to any cars that come into a shop, to borrow so that my stuck up *** can scann the ABS ecu on that Lotus?

An $8.00 illegal alien works at your shop? and he owns an Autel? Lotus is not covered by Autel. So... really taking in a Lotus is more of a "we work on anything approach, really. That's fine. But who else covers Lotus really? OTC? Bosch? Who? .

Plus I feel like my kid playing with LEGO toys with all those snap on KEYS dangling around like some kindergarden toy, LOL
                    I can fix %100 of cars that come into my shop with generic CAN OBD2 scanner and up to date ALLDATA!

Really? How do you bi-directionally control for example, a linear EGR valve with a generic scanner? How do you Purge and Seal an Evap system with Generic scanning?

You got to admit that for long time snap on scanner tools did not have competition in the USA. This is why they grew arrogant and overpriced. Now that Autel is out here I doubt that people will be spending $1500 for the snap on software update for one year when you can just buy the whole scan tool for that price

True, Snap-on had a lot of the market cornered. Snap-on is a different company that in the 1990's when that was true. They have made a lot of advances in the last ten years or so. Most recently adopting Land Rover, Volvo, Suzuki and Smart.

So there is nothing wrong with owning an Autel, as I do. I post stuff to Snap-on all the time on what it can do and what it cannot do.
                    Bob

Comment

• sandt38
                      • May 2012

On both cars it gives me nothing more than just generic code read. The troubleshooter was worthless it just tells me the same thing that code description tells me Duh.

How embarrasing is if you work in a good shop and you are making $30 flat rate and you get a work order on Lotus and you just dumped $3k on snap on scan tool that can't give you more than $50 scan tool from autozone on that lotus? Then you got to low your self asteem down to the ground and ask our illegal immigrant 8 dollar an hour oil change guy to use his autel maxidas that we rediculed him banning him from connecting that china junk to any cars that come into a shop, to borrow so that my stuck up *** can scann the ABS ecu on that Lotus?

Plus I feel like my kid playing with LEGO toys with all those snap on KEYS dangling around like some kindergarden toy, LOL.

You got to admit that for long time snap on scanner tools did not have competition in the USA. This is why they grew arrogant and overpriced. Now that Autel is out here I doubt that people will be spending $1500 for the snap on software update for one year when you can just buy the whole scan tool for that price.
                      I have never seen a generic reader that allows for bi-directional control, and my shop has a Solus... so I know it's capabilities.

I have used the Solus for more than code reading on both of the cars you mentioned. Like I said, perhaps you should pull out your owners manual. I never used troubleshooter on the Solus, because admittedly it was a clunky tool. But the troubleshooter on my Verus has actually proven to be pretty handy.

Saab? So what?

Show me a scan tool that has Lotus coverage, please... Maxidas does not cover it. I know because when you mentioned it I looked and looked hard. This guy has been to me a few times, and if I can get better coverage I would love to. But why complain? My abilities allowed me to use the code, get an idea of where to look. The additional abilities of my Verus allowed me to pinpoint and repair the problem. I am sorry that you don't have the ability to actually read a wiring diagram, use some intelligence and ingenuity, and make an effective repair. Maybe you shouldn't be making $30 flat rate.

My Verus has no keys. If you want it all, then you should go beyond entry level. I admit, I hate those damn keys.

Comment

• sbreland73
                        • Jan 2009

Are we here to help, or hit nerves?
                        S. Breland

Comment

• hefaus
                          • Dec 2007

Now Children

Originally posted by sbreland73
                          Are we here to help, or hit nerves?
                          Lets try and be good to every tech on this forum. After all it is supposed to be a helpful and learning site. Keep Smiling.

Comment

• Bob's Garage
                            • Nov 2007

Children? Who do you mean?

Originally posted by hefaus
                            Lets try and be good to every tech on this forum. After all it is supposed to be a helpful and learning site. Keep Smiling.
                            I offer as much help as possible here. I ask for help sometimes also.

I feel that his Eduardo's comments are negative and not truthful. The comment:
                            "I know for fact that solus, solus pro, ethos, modis are generic code readers." is just wrong.

So, we can't do much when some has an opinion and we don't agree. But when comments are out of line, they don't help anyone on the forum either. Doesn't that make sense?

Since some just come to these forums to bash Snap-on they should have some facts to back up thier comments.

Bob

Comment

• sandt38
                              • May 2012

Originally posted by Bob's Garage
                              I offer as much help as possible here. I ask for help sometimes also.

I feel that his Eduardo's comments are negative and not truthful. The comment:
                              "I know for fact that solus, solus pro, ethos, modis are generic code readers." is just wrong.

So, we can't do much when some has an opinion and we don't agree. But when comments are out of line, they don't help anyone on the forum either. Doesn't that make sense?

Since some just come to these forums to bash Snap-on they should have some facts to back up thier comments.

Bob
                              Agreeded...

Comment

Working...