X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • five04ever
    • Mar 2009

Newbie with an oldie mt2500 brick? Updating questions

Hi!

I have many questions on the MT2500 scanner 'brick' i think? But will keep it simple at first as i apparently know not-much about it, but know i need it... Make sense?

Anyway, I just bought a used mt2500 scanner (backlit ver 2.2, 'brick' i think?) off of ebay... A few hours ago. Seller isn't even shipping until the AM... Regardless. After reading a few posts here looking for upgrade info i find that Snapon is not going to support the mt2500 any longer???... Dope! I guess the mt2500 is old but so are my vehicles, so maybe i'll be ok... Let's see!

I guess my first question is... Will the 'brick' support my two 99's with the latest software/firmware/eproms, cartridge, etc. updates? I would think so?

2nd question may have to wait until i get it unless someone can briefly explain the update/upgrade process, or point me to the right thread to get it? The scanner has the GM reference manual, but not sure if that will tell me how to upgrade

3rd - What would be the cartridges needed for my 99's to completely cover any fixes... (Primary, T/S, Transmission, OBDII)? Can you list the correct part numbers for me please? The scanner didn't come with any

Added vehicle info:
    - 99 Chevy Blazer ZR2, 4.3, auto, 115k miles, no current codes, but i have seen the P0452 code a few times, but has not came back in 2 weeks after clearing. The fuel pump was changed over 1.5 years ago, SFI to MFI swap about 6 months ago.
    - 99 Chevy Astro 4.3 auto, rear heat and a/c 126k miles, current DTC code P0420, I only recently changed the coil due to the sparking coming from the coil/top where the plug slides on

Well i think that should be it for now...

For what it's worth - I really have no need for the newer, more expensive scanners simply because i have a tremendous urge to keep older 'chevy' vehicles running and not spend my hard earned money on a newer scanner as i don't plan on making a living with it.

Sorry for the long post, but i think i just need some help getting started with this new (old) toy.

Any input truely appreciated!

Thanks
    Last edited by five04ever; 03-11-2009, 07:01 AM.
  • emcgarvey
    • Nov 2008

Ok if you want to update you need to get these.

MT2500VCI = BLACK PROGRAMMABLE VEHICLE COMMUNICATION INTERFACE CARTRIDGE

MT2500TSI = BLACK PROGRAMMABLE FAST-TRACK TROUBLESHOOTER INTERFACE.

After you get them they HAVE TO be programmed through your S.O. dealers "scanbay" to your latest update. Think it is 8.4 it will then cover all domestic / some asian. They also have Euro that is available that can be put onto the cartridges too. Updates come with current personality keys too.

**Save ALL of your old red cartridges too. Due to memory capability the updates take up alot of the memory and will "drop" coverage years off the end. (older vehicle year coverage will be lost)

Hope this helps.
    E

Comment

• five04ever
      • Mar 2009

Yikes!!

Do i really need the VCI/TCI Cartridges if I only plan on using the scanner for my own 99 chevy's, or even other chevys up to 2001????

Both are 99's.... Blazer v6 and Astro v6

I thought i only needed these two: MT25002901 T/S and the MT25001001 Primary cartridges. And, for OBDII: MT25005500

Let me know as I'm still poking around for the MT25005500 cartidge, and trying to find out what i else i need for only the 99's. I think i may have had the wrong idea of what i needed.... OOOPS!

Thanks in advance!

Comment

• Skip
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2008

If you only plan to work on those two cars, you can get the model year specific red cartridges for that year. If any updates to the software occurred after they were released you will not get them. You would be best served by finding the newest cartridges you can. What did you get for your money? How many cables, adapters, and keys? Do you know what version cartridges you got? The red ones are dated on the label.

Comment

• five04ever
          • Mar 2009

I got the MT2500 backlit ver2.2 and some extras.

I have 2 cartridges coming in the mail together:
          Domestic Primary 2001 - OBDII And Bi-Directional Controls MT25001001, and
          the Domestic T/S 2001 - Includes Expert Insight MT25002901

I beleive i will also need the Emissions T/S - MT25005999, or 5901 to keep all up to 2001????

Coming from the same source as the scanner.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is what i got with the scanner... Seems to be in really great shape and hopefully i got my moneys worth.

I only seem to have the Generic OBDII MT2500-46 and the K-2 key(domestic??) that will connect to my 99 chevys. The readout reads: "Disconnect Power. Insert Cartridge", so i dont see a way to confirm the version yet, nor if the backlight works... Any way to check this without a cartridge??

The scanner has the 9vdc on the side, and a rj11 connection on the top of it.

Includes:

MT2500 Scanner (Backlit. Version 2.2) <-- s/n sticker is worn off

Adaptors:
          Chry-1 MT2500-30
          Chry-2 MT2500-31
          Jeep-1 MT2500-49
          Ford-1 MT2500-20
          Ford-4 MT2500-70
          Mitsu-1 MT2500-55
          GM-1 MT2500-10
          Multi-1 MT2500-90
          Multi-2 MT2500-42
          OBDII MT2500-46

Cables:
          MT2500-5000
          Battery Power Adapter
          Cigarette Power Adapter <-- broken

Keys:
          K2, K5A, K13

Manuals:
          GM Reference Manual (tenth edition)
          Ford Reference Manual (tenth edition)
          Chrysler Reference Manual (tenth edition)
          Jeep Reference Manual (fourth edition)
          OBD Reference Manual (first edition)
          Case:

Snap On Hardshell Case

Thoughts??

Comment

• Skip
            Super Moderator
            • Apr 2008

What cartridges did you get? If you did not get any, you now own a red door stop. All of the software is in the cartridges.

Comment

• five04ever
              • Mar 2009

My thoughts exactly.... but I will have the 2 cartridges i listed above, tuesday of next week. They are coming from the same seller.

Is there a way to check the scanners software/firmware or does that all reside in the cartridges only? I mean if this states version 2.2 then how do i confirm that?

Also, is there a way to verifiy that the backlight works... the manuals seem to point out backlight setting when you have the battery pack connected, but nothing about the 9vdc being able to use the backlight?

Appreciate comments.

Comment

• Skip
                Super Moderator
                • Apr 2008

The two cartridges you have should do you just fine. Any further updates will require new cartridges. 2.2 is the latest version of the scanner body so you will be fine there. The backlight will work when you get hooked up to a cars 12V system or a battery pack. That is to save the 9V. When the cartridges arrive, just plug and play.

Comment

• five04ever
                  • Mar 2009

Thanks Skip!! Appreciate your input.

Update: Everything seems to work on the scanner.... I do have the v2.2 scanner and the backlight works. The mt25001001 and the 2901 cartridges seems to work fine as well, but when trying to check the engine functions the scanner wants the K-9 key inserted in the OBDII connector, so....

I got the k-9 key today in the mail and seems to be ready for use.... KOOL!!!

Once i poke around with it for awhile i'm sure i'll be back with more questions. However, I do have two more ?'s on this post....

Is there a specific GM manual that tells you what the factory settings for a given vehicle are supposed to be to allow comparisons????

and

I have the GM PROM Reference Manual 1999 on the way, but i thought i read somewhere that the year on the cover is for the previous year vehicle... Makes sense but is that true, and if it is will i need a 2000 manual for my 99's?

"Wish I had this toy years ago"

Thanks
                  Last edited by five04ever; 03-17-2009, 12:26 PM. Reason: Update on previous questions

Comment

• reagd
                    • Oct 2009

Originally posted by five04ever
                    Hi!

I have many questions on the MT2500 scanner 'brick' i think? But will keep it simple at first as i apparently know not-much about it, but know i need it... Make sense?

Anyway, I just bought a used mt2500 scanner (backlit ver 2.2, 'brick' i think?) off of ebay... A few hours ago. Seller isn't even shipping until the AM... Regardless. After reading a few posts here looking for upgrade info i find that Snapon is not going to support the mt2500 any longer???... Dope! I guess the mt2500 is old but so are my vehicles, so maybe i'll be ok... Let's see!

I guess my first question is... Will the 'brick' support my two 99's with the latest software/firmware/eproms, cartridge, etc. updates? I would think so?

2nd question may have to wait until i get it unless someone can briefly explain the update/upgrade process, or point me to the right thread to get it? The scanner has the GM reference manual, but not sure if that will tell me how to upgrade

3rd - What would be the cartridges needed for my 99's to completely cover any fixes... (Primary, T/S, Transmission, OBDII)? Can you list the correct part numbers for me please? The scanner didn't come with any

Added vehicle info:
                    - 99 Chevy Blazer ZR2, 4.3, auto, 115k miles, no current codes, but i have seen the P0452 code a few times, but has not came back in 2 weeks after clearing. The fuel pump was changed over 1.5 years ago, SFI to MFI swap about 6 months ago.
                    - 99 Chevy Astro 4.3 auto, rear heat and a/c 126k miles, current DTC code P0420, I only recently changed the coil due to the sparking coming from the coil/top where the plug slides on

Well i think that should be it for now...

For what it's worth - I really have no need for the newer, more expensive scanners simply because i have a tremendous urge to keep older 'chevy' vehicles running and not spend my hard earned money on a newer scanner as i don't plan on making a living with it.

Sorry for the long post, but i think i just need some help getting started with this new (old) toy.

Any input truely appreciated!

Thanks
                    I really need some repair manual about this. Can anyone tell me about the difference between VCI/TCI Cartridges? Do they really differ that much?
                    Last edited by reagd; 11-02-2009, 07:50 PM.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
                      Snap-on DSD
                      • Aug 2007

VCI= Vehicle Communication Cartridge. This is the one you need to make your scanner work, and allows you to communicate with vehicles. your scanner will work with this cartridge alone if needed.

TSI= Troubleshooter Cartridge. This is where diagnostic info is stored. You don't need it, bit it's nice to have. The scanner will work just fine if it's not installed or updated.

Joe
                      "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
                      Henry Ford

Comment

• chuckm555
                        • Nov 2009

Mt2500 scanner &quot;the brick&quot;

you have a great scanner,i have one also MT2500
                        the troubleshooter cartridge you have will help you solve almost all of your problems.
                        check ebay, if you get the 1999 diagnosis cartridge you will be good back to 1983.
                        it covers from 1983 to 1999
                        you can use your 2001 troubleshooter with the older cartridge
                        the 2001 carrtridge (diagnosis) is the latest before the programable ones it is good from 1996 to 2001
                        the diagnosis will scan body,ABS brakes,transmissions and give you data on these areas
                        the general troubleshooting carts cover the body computer + engine
                        you need specialized troubleshooters for the ABS brakes and the transmissions.
                        this is a 2 way scanner, you can test componets with this scanner, on your 1999 you can manual open the electronic EGR, and even turn on other things and reset crank sensors,VINs.
                        the best part is the troubleshooter,it will not only tell you what a good reading range is it will tell you what the code is,what can set it and some tests to narrow it down.
                        you need to never remove the carts with the scanner) on and use 1 diagnosis with the troubleshooter for testing.
                        feel free to ask any other questions and clarify anything i said here.
                        I have not bought the programables yet, not sure if i will buy them or upgrade to a solus when the time comes.I find much use now with this scanner, and have scanned many of my friends and family's car.with the 2001 it will scan to to 2003 in generic mode, i was able to scan my 2003 trailblazer with it
                        chuck
                        Last edited by chuckm555; 11-21-2009, 04:13 PM.

Comment

• eddiesverus
                          • Dec 2008

The Red Brick was the Best scanner out then, but now its time to retire it. 9.2 was the last supported updates for it so make sure you update it. I'm sure you got great price for it on Ebay. I'm sure it will work fine and you will have lots of fun with it. Hopefully its all you will ever need otherwise you should of have invested your money in a newer used SolusPro. SnapOn will continue to supported for years to come. good luck with your Brick, I loved it when I had one..
                          Hard Work, commitment, Honesty and not giving up is what Makes us better Tech's

Comment

• Ecomike
                            • May 2016

New to me MT-2500 questions

I have bought some odds and ends off ebay to set me up with an MT-2500 for old vehicles I own and service myself, including Renix Jeeps (5 of them), 87-90, a 1996 Ford Taurus and a 2001 Saturn SL-1 so far.

My first most pressing question is what do the keys do exactly, and when and why are they needed? What keys might I want at this time?

Question 2, any chance I can get any use out of these using 97 primary and 97 troubleshooting cartridges I bought that cover GM-Ford-Chry-Jeep, on the 2001 saturn. I am pretty sure very little of significance changed over the earlier years on the Saturn SL-1 from about 1996-2001.

I also scored a 99 Transmission troubleshooting cartridge that I have high hopes for. Will it work at all with the 97 primary cart on a 96 ford or an 87 Jeep?

Thanks for any feedback!!!

Comment

• Witsend
                              Banned
                              • Nov 2012

Most of the drive ability techs repairing cars professionally at the dealer level used OE scan tools.The aftermarket techs if they didn't graduate to the (key less)OTC Genesis( early 2000s ?) probably got the programmable black cartridges before Snappy ended support for the MT2500 around 2008-2009.

Comment

Working...