Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums Diagnostic Home . Diagnostic Product Index . Customer Care        
Diagnostic SoftwareDiagnostic PlatformsAsk-a-Tech, Automotive Repair InformationTech Central
Go Back   Snapon Diagnostics Product Forums > Snap-on Diagnostic Products > Diagnostic Platforms > Lab Scope & Component Level Testing
Home Today's Posts Register Members List FAQ
Thank you for visiting Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums.
You are currently NOT logged in to a registered account. Some functions of Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums will not be available to you if your are not logged in as a registered member. For a limited time only, registrationto Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums to Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums is !! FREE !! Select the    **REGISTER NOW**    link to register for your FREE Snap-on Diagnostics Product Forums account!!

Old 01-03-2019, 04:31 PM

BRIAN617 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Default 2002 Dodge 2500 5.9L gas coil primary pattern

Anyone like to take a shot at diagnosing this crazy pattern?

Blue trace low amp clamp on coil primary circuit.
Red trace aeswave inductive trigger on coil wire.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg td5.9ingtion.jpg (138.1 KB, 76 views)
Old 01-04-2019, 08:20 PM

Wheel Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN617 View Post
Anyone like to take a shot at diagnosing this crazy pattern?

Blue trace low amp clamp on coil primary circuit.
Red trace aeswave inductive trigger on coil wire.
Need more info.
1. Is this cranking or running?
2. What are the vehicle symptoms?
3. recent engine/ transmission swap? Any noise in the flywheel area?

Move your inductive trigger to #1 plug wire & adjust the time base to where we can just see 2 firing events of #1 along with your coil amperage pattern.

Until I have more info, I would tend to suspect some type of mis-triggering possibly of the crank sensor possibly due to damaged or broken flywheel - not uncommon on Chrysler products.
May not hurt to also scope cam & crank sensors also on your remaining 2 channels & study the relationships of all these signals at once to each other.

A fellow Arkansawyer? (yankees and other "foreigners" say "Arkansan") What part of Arkansas? I'm around Fayetteville.
Old 01-07-2019, 07:02 AM

BRIAN617 Congratulations!  Your peers have given you enough reputation to put you into the fist level!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wheel View Post
I would tend to suspect some type of mis-triggering possibly of the crank sensor
You guessed it. Crank sensor had been installed incorrectly and was rubbing the torque converter.

When I scoped the crank/cam the pattern was ugly. Should've took picture of it too.

Truck was running but running really bad random miss fires and would stall.

I'm located in Clarksville, not too far from you.
Old 01-07-2019, 04:17 PM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BRIAN617 View Post
You guessed it. Crank sensor had been installed incorrectly and was rubbing the torque converter.

When I scoped the crank/cam the pattern was ugly. Should've took picture of it too.

Truck was running but running really bad random miss fires and would stall.

I'm located in Clarksville, not too far from you.
So what you're saying is this is a pattern failure and the SYMPTOM from a crank sensor as the ROOT CAUSE....
Old 01-07-2019, 07:13 PM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Same Sh@t box, running similarly sh@tty , but different turd though. Never assume it will be the same cause.
Good look at the secondary pattern though of same engine and year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-X63olHtt4
Old 01-08-2019, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
So what you're saying is this is a pattern failure and the SYMPTOM from a crank sensor as the ROOT CAUSE....
Yes sir bad pattern, replaced crank sensor and fixed it.
Old 01-09-2019, 05:15 AM

Crusty You made it!  You've done a great job ofearning reputation from your peers.  You now have secret access to a new hidden forum!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Witsend View Post
Same Sh@t box, running similarly sh@tty , but different turd though. Never assume it will be the same cause.
Good look at the secondary pattern though of same engine and year.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P-X63olHtt4
We should NEVER A$$-U-ME, ANYTHING. If we SUSPECT a "pattern" failure, then it should be investigated and confirmed as being the ROOT CAUSE.
Old 01-09-2019, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crusty View Post
If we SUSPECT a "pattern" failure, then it should be investigated and confirmed as being the ROOT CAUSE.
Well, in this case it's not a "pattern failure", but the crank sensor was creating a bad pattern. Sorry for the confusion.

The crank sensor was installed incorrectly by another shop somewhere along the way. This truck had been to three or more shops including the dealership before I got it.

The truck also has an issue with the PCM causing intermittent no start. I ASSUME lol that parts were just being throw at it when it wouldn't start.

I'll admit it had me scratching my head for awhile before I scoped cam/crank and found the issue.
Old 01-09-2019, 10:13 AM

Witsend Made it to level 2!  Looks like you are on your way to becoming famous

Quote:
Well, in this case it's not a "pattern failure", but the crank sensor was creating a bad pattern. Sorry for the confusion.

The crank sensor was installed incorrectly by another shop somewhere along the way. This truck had been to three or more shops including the dealership before I got it.

The truck also has an issue with the PCM causing intermittent no start. I ASSUME lol that parts were just being throw at it when it wouldn't start.

I'll admit it had me scratching my head for awhile before I scoped cam/crank and found the issue.
Seemed to remember one 96 with a similar issue of a intermittent no start. When the no start occurred the check engine light was absent in the dash on KOEO and then sometimes CEL would waver on and hear some relays clicking before staying on and then the Dodge-Podge would start. Some times putting pressure on one side of a PCM connector and you could hear relay come alive. Turned out to be a failing PCM