SureTrack Users General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

You put a Predator motor on your cart ? Cool !! I 've been replacing the Briggs and Tecumsehs on my power equipment with the Predators from Harbour Freight as they wear out. I'd say there're pretty dependable. If I had to buy tools all over again I would definitely buy more stuff from H.F. or Northern Tool. The stuff used to be junk but it seems to have gotten quite a bit better. Save the money for all the specialty tools you need now a days. It seems that the no compete clause Snap On has between it's dealers (I think there 's something like that) doesn't always work out in the customers best interest. If a near by dealer gives better service you should have that option.
    Last edited by greasybob; 08-30-2017, 05:44 PM.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Have you ever seen a 5 point allen ? This holds a check valve for the crank case ventilation system to the timing cover of a 13 Duramax. It almost seems to be a star shaped that's tapered. The only thing close that I got is a tamper proof torx plus, but no grab. Maybe more of a spline fit ?
      Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Looks like another D@ck Move Collaboration between an OE car manufacturer, tool manufacturer , and a fastener maker to create a need for a new specialty tool that no one really should have to buy. I will just chisel it loose and put a regular fastener on it until HF includes it in the $7 50 piece anti-tamper fastener bit assortment.

Comment

• Matt
          • Dec 2008

Is it a torx plus???

Never mind, I read your post all the way. Sheesh just what I need to run into more special tools.

Comment

• greasybob
            • May 2008

I'd call it a perfect score 8 for 8. Ten+ years on and they're still around, Original plugs
            Attached Files

Comment

• Witsend
              Banned
              • Nov 2012

I'd call it a perfect score 8 for 8. Ten+ years on and they're still around, Original plugs
              Wow , every plug was seized and broke off and required extraction tool. Did you ever try Sea Foam fogging it through the intake ,then let it sit overnight , then run it and get it good and hot before removing those plugs ?

Comment

• greasybob
                • May 2008

I figured it was going to be rough one. It had partially plugged cats, from all the random misfires I would guess. A few coils had already been replaced.

I got this one a few weeks ago. A 2001 Honda CRV with multiple misfires and the customer has the Auto Zone solution. Replace cylinder head ??. The common tune up parts already been replaced. It seems most of the ASE techs surveyed don't realize these things have solid lifters. Big Data gone awry, garbage in, garbage out. If I was ASE I wouldn't lend my name to this kind of nonsense.
                Attached Files

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                  • Jan 2011

If AutoZone knows how to fix it why didn't they...

Oh that's right they only sell parts!!!

As for ASE... Well they added testing and certification for parts resellers. So now there Experts Too...

Comment

• SnapOnKid
                    • Jan 2011

BTW did anyone ever adjust the valves on it???

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

Adjusting the valves was the fix. I work a relative compression test in early on any drivability diagnostics. If a problem looks present, then follow that up with a leak down or running compression test or visual inspection. The valves were tight. Interesting though that now trim codes were present, maybe the PCM shuts the fuel off when a misfire is present and goes open loop.

Comment

• greasybob
                        • May 2008

Did Snap On give "just answers" permission to post Shopkey info in pdf on line ? Hmmmmm ? http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/HE...dfocus_bcm.pdf

Comment

• Witsend
                          Banned
                          • Nov 2012

Did Snap On give "just answers" permission to post Shopkey info in pdf on line ? Hmmmmm ?
                          Doubt it , just random people out there trying to answer others questions on that site. The more free information out there the better. After a car reaches 10 years old the repair information should just all be out there for the taking. Other than specifications ,locations, wiring diagrams I often find You tube videos are often better source of information for how to component R&R anyway.
                          Last edited by Witsend; 10-11-2017, 07:01 PM.

Comment

• Tech_A
                            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by greasybob
                            Did Snap On give "just answers" permission to post Shopkey info in pdf on line ? Hmmmmm ? http://ww2.justanswer.com/uploads/HE...dfocus_bcm.pdf
                            Wow, they can cram 86 pages, I believe that exceeds the suretrack community upload size limit.

Comment

• greasybob
                              • May 2008

The strange case of the 09 Sliverado SDM

Had an 09 Silverado chassis cab with the airbag light on. Tried to read the codes but I could not establish communications with the SDM. In fact when I used the All Module code read none of the low speed modules came up. So I tried to communicate with them one by one, nothing, the Verus would not talk to any of them yet they seem to talk to each other. After all it starts and there are no codes in the ECM and all the CAN modules communicate with the Verus. The TDM is a low speed module and the ECM sees it. So unplugged the SDM and now all the other low speed modules talk to the Verus. I back probed the low speed wire at the DLC to see if there was any difference in the wave form with the SDM plugged in and unplugged. Looks the same, 0 to 5 volts square wave. Gotta be a bad SDM right ? I had a used SDM from a similar vehicle so I plugged it in, same thing no comm. HMMM ? Check the fuses to the SDM, sure enough fuse 45 is blown, SDM BATT fuse. Replace fuse and re-install the original SDM and the air bag light is out, all codes clear and all modules communicate with the Verus again. Why the verus won't communicate with the Low Speed modules with a blown air bag fuse ????????

Comment

• greasybob
                                • May 2008

Name That Engine

Can you name this engine ? And what vehicles it would most likely have been found ? Years ?
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...