Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phill57
    • Oct 2007

Verus Pro Hard Drive Capacity and SSD

I just upgraded my Verus Pro to a 512GB SSD. It cut the boot time in half or less. I have posted a side by side comparison of two Verus Pros booting up on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HpqAzLRLg

The other interesting thing I noticed is that the original HDD was actually a 500GB capacity. Since I have another Verus Pro I decided to check it out in Device Manager. It shows drive C at a capacity of 170471 MB, D at 60687 MB, a hidden partition of 7515 MB and unallocated space 238465 MB. I noticed when I was cloning the drive that the original one had unallocated drive space. This stripped down version of XP does not appear to have the disc management tool to allocate this but I am sure that it could be done.

Interesting...
  • sbreland73
    • Jan 2009

Phill, I believe that the Verus Pro HDD is actually a 250GB Seagate Momentus drive. If you add your numbers up, you get 238673 (238GB). That un-allocated space is were the recovery image is located.
    S. Breland

Comment

• phill57
      • Oct 2007

HDD in Verus Pro

Well I have replaced mine and the original is 500GB. There is around 230GB that is unallocated and therefore not even visible as a usable sector. There are actually three partitions on the original, a hidden partition around 8GB contains the restore software.

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

My guess is the supplier ran out of usual 250Gb ones so some got 500GB ones and they didn't want the folk that only got the 250GB ones asking why some guys got preferential treatment getting a bigger standard hard drive than they got in their Verus without paying a penny extra for it . Snappy is not in the habit of giving folk way more than they paid for, so half the hard drive capacity was disabled and hidden, so it would match the capacity of the listed capacity specs.

Comment

• sbreland73
          • Jan 2009

Originally posted by Witsend
          My guess is the supplier ran out of usual 250Gb ones so some got 500GB ones and they didn't want the folk that only got the 250GB ones asking why some guys got preferential treatment getting a bigger standard hard drive than they got in their Verus without paying a penny extra for it . Snappy is not in the habit of giving folk way more than they paid for, so half the hard drive capacity was disabled and hidden, so it would match the capacity of the listed capacity specs.
          Not likely.
          S. Breland

Comment

• sbreland73
            • Jan 2009

Originally posted by phill57
            Well I have replaced mine and the original is 500GB. There is around 230GB that is unallocated and therefore not even visible as a usable sector. There are actually three partitions on the original, a hidden partition around 8GB contains the restore software.
            Was the Verus pro new or used? If used, it is possible someone replaced the original HDD.
            S. Breland

Comment

• phill57
              • Oct 2007

I have two Verus Pros. They both were purchased new and both have 500 gb HD.

Comment

• sbreland73
                • Jan 2009

I have two Verus Pros. They both were purchased new and both have 500 gb HD.
                Well, mine came with only 250. As you stated earlier, interesting.
                S. Breland

Comment

• jm43130
                  • Apr 2008

I bought my Verus Pro new in April 2015, and I just checked mine, it has a 250gb drive. I timed mine from pushing the power button to the select vehicle screen, and it took just under 2 minutes to boot up. Mine is bone stock like I bought it. My old Verus wireless units took almost 4 minutes to boot, but not the Pro.

Comment

• maicsa2
                    • Mar 2014

Verus Pro booting time

I just upgraded my Verus Pro to a 512GB SSD. It cut the boot time in half or less. I have posted a side by side comparison of two Verus Pros booting up on Youtube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P5HpqAzLRLg

The other interesting thing I noticed is that the original HDD was actually a 500GB capacity. Since I have another Verus Pro I decided to check it out in Device Manager. It shows drive C at a capacity of 170471 MB, D at 60687 MB, a hidden partition of 7515 MB and unallocated space 238465 MB. I noticed when I was cloning the drive that the original one had unallocated drive space. This stripped down version of XP does not appear to have the disc management tool to allocate this but I am sure that it could be done.

Interesting...
                    After I read your thread I went over mine and notice that as you said the actual size of my hard drive was 500GB, so I went to disc management and on the unallocated volume did a right click and format that partition to make it usable on windows, now I have extra space to save information!! On the boot time, my Verus Pro only takes 1:45. so it is as fast as can be!

Comment

• Scott_65
                      • Mar 2012

Interesting...
                      If you have time and the desire, could you possibly provide what hard drive you used, and a brief run down of the process? I've wanted to do this since owning the previous model verus but every time I got close to pulling the trigger on buying the drive, I would get discouraged by someone giving a reason it wouldn't work well. For starters, the cloning process and possible hiccups with it, and the confusion of selecting software for an amateur like me. Second, some sort of maintenance needing to be done that XP doesn't support? A computer guy told me this one. Said they get fragmented differently and newer versions of Windows will maintain this?

I'm sure I can figure out how to tear it apart. Might* be able to get it back together. And I'm familiar with most internals of a computer. I put memory in the old verus. But the software portion and incompatibilities mentioned above have always convinced me to stop

Comment

Working...