• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ephratah service center
    • Oct 2007

04 Pacifica TMPS

I have an 04 Pacifica 3.5L AWD Vin. # 2C8GF68474R646105 I have a code for
    TIRE SENSOR 4 TRANSMIT FALIURE
    how do you know which sensor #4 is the snanner does not break them down by placement on vehicle any place.
    Does any one have a clue which sensor is sensor #4?
  • 19mopar
    • Oct 2010

Had a 2008 pacifica yesterday with tire pressure sensor 2 code. The RF wheel had no sensor in it so that was a no brainer. i just looked on alldata and there is no reference to which wheel is assigned to which sensor. When I went into manufactures code info under TPM chrysler gives the tire placement and no mention of sensors 1,2,3 and 4. Depending on what the build date is it could have the TPM info in the overhead module or the SKREEM. If it is early build i believe you can test the sensors with the magnet end of a tpm tool. If it is late build I'm not certain if you can.
    HTH.

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

Sensor 4 should be left rear. Here is the problem with most vehicles though, if some one rotated the tires and did not relearn the positions, sensor 4 could be anywhere on the vehicle,. The only way to know for sure if the sensor positions are correct is to read them with a tool such as the TPMS 3 and compare those readings (registration numbers) with the TPMS data on your scanner.

Comment

• Oct 2007

I dont have the magnet tool to test.
        Can I locate by taking 1 tire at a time off of the vehicle and check with scanner to see which tire looses communication?

Comment

• Steve6911
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by ephratah service center
          I dont have the magnet tool to test.
          Can I locate by taking 1 tire at a time off of the vehicle and check with scanner to see which tire looses communication?
          Jim

You could do that or lower the tire pressure on one tire at a time and drive the vehicle a short distance and see which tire reads the drop. Depending on the vehicle/system tire rotation can have an effect on tire position. I had a customer on a older GM that put 70psi+ in her l/f tire because thats the one the telltale said was low, a quick visual inspection showed the R/R was almost flat. No position relearn was done after the rotation. I have the Snap-on TPMS3, if you had this tool or the Bartech you could find the bad sensor in under a minute and once the new sensor is installed reprogram the system correctly in just a few minutes. Tools like these are a must have these days...even tires aren't simple anymore!

Steve

Comment

• Crusty
            • Dec 2007

Originally posted by Steve6911
            Jim

You could do that or lower the tire pressure on one tire at a time and drive the vehicle a short distance and see which tire reads the drop. Depending on the vehicle/system tire rotation can have an effect on tire position. I had a customer on a older GM that put 70psi+ in her l/f tire because thats the one the telltale said was low, a quick visual inspection showed the R/R was almost flat. No position relearn was done after the rotation. I have the Snap-on TPMS3, if you had this tool or the Bartech you could find the bad sensor in under a minute and once the new sensor is installed reprogram the system correctly in just a few minutes. Tools like these are a must have these days...even tires aren't simple anymore!

Steve
            On most Fords and Dodges they can usually "self learn" after a drive cycle that lasts long enough at speeds over 24-MPH. Apparently on Dodges, there are two different frequency type of sensors (car vs truck) and the reciever in the vehicle (whichever module is looking for a signal) can pick up a consistent near-by signal in the right frequency range. It is very improbable that another vehicle with the same type of sensor is going to be driving near by at the same speeds for the 10 or 20 minute "relearn" cycle.
            Heck, even tire stores up here don't have all the TPMS tools, yet they manage to get by without them.
            On a Chev (GM) if you do the "Manual Reset" by using the pressure up/down, the module will automatically pick up the "new" sensors and even change and store the new sensor ID's.
            I changed two sensors on a GM last week and by using the pressure up/down, it saw the left front, right front, right rear, left rear locations and updated the ID numbers in the RCDLR.
            I couldn't even FIND the original sensor ID numbers in my SnapOn scanners, so I hooked up my Tech-II and it identified all 4 sensors (before I started the job), and then it displayed the new sensor ID numbers which matched the number printed on the new sensors after I was finished.
            LOL.....Way to go CHEVY-!!!
            I think most manufacturers start with the left front and circle the vehicle for sensor ID's. If it has the capability for 5 sensors, the fifth one is the spare.
            HTH

Comment

• greasybob
              • May 2008

Start with left front and go clockwise. According to Shopkey there are two systems available on this vehicle, a base and premium system. the base system does not specify how many tires are low or where they are located, The premium system uses three separate tranmitters located in three of the vehicles wheel wells, left front, right front and left rear. If you have the premium system the TPMS information can be viewed on the vehicle information display.Only the premium system will learn the tire positions. Because you have a code identifying an individual transmitter, I would think this would be the premium system.

Comment

• Crusty
                • Dec 2007

Originally posted by greasybob
                Start with left front and go clockwise. According to Shopkey there are two systems available on this vehicle, a base and premium system. the base system does not specify how many tires are low or where they are located, The premium system uses three separate tranmitters located in three of the vehicles wheel wells, left front, right front and left rear. If you have the premium system the TPMS information can be viewed on the vehicle information display.Only the premium system will learn the tire positions. Because you have a code identifying an individual transmitter, I would think this would be the premium system.
                I havn't read up on this system (yet) but what happens when the RIGHT REAR tire goes low-???? LOL LOL.....
                From an initial perspective, sounds like a typical Daimler Eurocrap system to me....LOL THREE WHEELS ????????
                This is going to be interesting.......

Comment

• greasybob
                  • May 2008

Sorry, I messed up, I was looking at 08 Pacifica. the 04 only has the base system in the description. Tire number 4 is probably just the tire that was the 4th registered the last time a registration was performed. The three transmitter system must just use a process of elimination. I think the transmitter in the wheel well only exites the sensor. The skim module is what reads the sensor. I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Dodge trucks that use just one front ABS sensor.

Comment

• Skip
                    Super Moderator
                    • Apr 2008

I'm still trying to wrap my head around the Dodge trucks that use just one front ABS sensor.[/QUOTE]

Those trucks only have rear wheel ABS. The extra sensor in the front is for vehicle speed. A back up to the one for the rear.

Comment

• greasybob
                      • May 2008

Thanks for clearing that up. I've seen it, but never had to really investigate it.

Comment

• Oct 2007

Installed new sensor and test drove sensor vehicle found new sensor and light went out. Sensor #4 ended up being on the right front wheel put new sensor in from Napa.
                        Thanks for all the replys.

Comment

Working...