Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Wheel
    • Jul 2007

Originally posted by Bob Heybrock
    I am still a huge fan of the 10.2 version of Data Manager and for that reason wasted no time downloading SSC onto my new Verus Pro so although the shortcut is a nice feature, SSC is still superior for graph analysis. One benefit of shortcut is to more quickly see what I have recorded for that vehicle however (before moving it at least.)

My opinion on the Atlas vs. the Shopstream / 10.2 way of presenting
    graphed or listed data is well documented. I am extremely discouraged and disappointed in not finding any progress to restoring any of this
    in the 12.4 software on the Verus Pro I had a chance to look at.
    Many have painstakingly laid out the need and advantages to these features, but Snap On is not listening or interested. Therefore, except for spare parts, i am no longer interested in doing any further scanner or scope business with them (unless they can find a new Counselor 2
    mothballed in one of their warehouses they'll sell me to replace mine that just died} and I'll keep any further good ideas on improving this stuff to myself.

It is still a mystery to me why, as Wheel points out, we can not attach a text file to these Scanner Data files...Is it a Windows thing?

No, it's a Verus thing. In Shopstream I CAN edit and \ or
    do a writeup on my Modis scan files, but not my Verus scan files.
    You can edit scope files on both. They have had this fault pointed out
    to them multiple times for quite a while and have yet to address it, although the help in naming and saving the file in the new software is a step in the right direction.

The new Verus appears to be a definite improvement over the gen. 2
    Verus, but falls short of what I was looking for as outlined in my generation 3 Verus thread almost a year ago.
    You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Wheel
      • Jul 2007

Originally posted by sbreland73
      While this would be nice to have, I have overcome this by entering whatever notes/text into the "notes" section of the vehicle history report. I actually prefer this method, as the notes appear when viewing the history of a vehicle. One might have to "load" a scanner data file to see the notes.
      This is a good workaround. For the purpose I save and use scanner files,
      this would still be unhandy, but certainly better than nothing. My primary use of past scanner files Is as a database to draw on to help fix similar cars in the
      future - known good readings, establishing pattern failures, etc. Readily available commentary and scan files searchable by year, make, model, engine, or transmission is CRITICAL

Thanks for the tip.
      You can expect the reputation of your business to be no better than the cheapest item or service you are willing to sell. - Wheel

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
        Snap-on D&I
        • Nov 2006

Rick, thanks for the explanation and I do understand the concept of shortcuts. On that note, using the Menu>File>Save is how I always used to save Scanner Data files (until now) and would place them in the folder location of my choice, which as I mentioned was already organized pretty specifically but time consuming, so are you saying that there is a way to still put them there AND have the shortcut placed in the vehicle info attachment box or did I really not get what you said? Of course the real time saver is the new "Save" icon where model, year, make, date, etc are the file name no matter where it puts it!
        I just wanted to make sure that is was understood that if a file is attached to a vehicle history record and then that file is moved to a different folder, the attachment would be automatically removed because the path was no longer valid (Like a shortcut on a PC desktop, not an attachment to email).

If you plan to move a file after you save it, it would be easier to use the menu>File>Save function and put the file in thefolder where you want it when you save it. That avoids loosing the attachment and having to re-attach it again once the file is in the new location.
        Attachments are automatically made to the history record when using either method of saving.

Of course if a quick save is needed such as when test driving, that is not practical. It is also nice to be able to quickly save the file with just one button press and get the vehicle info in the file name.

Comment

• Bob Heybrock
          • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
          I just wanted to make sure that is was understood that if a file is attached to a vehicle history record and then that file is moved to a different folder, the attachment would be automatically removed because the path was no longer valid (Like a shortcut on a PC desktop, not an attachment to email).

If you plan to move a file after you save it, it would be easier to use the menu>File>Save function and put the file in thefolder where you want it when you save it. That avoids loosing the attachment and having to re-attach it again once the file is in the new location.
          Attachments are automatically made to the history record when using either method of saving.

Of course if a quick save is needed such as when test driving, that is not practical. It is also nice to be able to quickly save the file with just one button press and get the vehicle info in the file name.
          OK Rick, I just experimented with it...Cool! Also, a couple of nice things I had not noticed before; one, the "Attachments" option (icon) while viewing vehicle history, which expands the whole screen to the attachemnts rather than having to scroll down to and through them and two, the "Enter by VIN" option when beginning the scanner process, much quicker and takes maximum advantage of inputting it only once!

Now I'm thinking about recreating the shortcuts from the vehicle attachments back to these files I've moved so if you feel like it please explain how I can do that and forgive me if you already did.

I also received my docking station, which IS a REAL docking station, not like the charging station SO called a docking station for the Gen I & II. Now I can keep my scanner at my work station with keyboard and another monitor. I never really thought I would need or want a set up like this but it is kind of beneficial.

Something I meant to talk about before and I think it was mentioned in this or another post and that is this thing does not generate near the heat that my old Gen I did.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
            Snap-on D&I
            • Nov 2006

OK Rick, I just experimented with it...Cool! Also, a couple of nice things I had not noticed before; one, the "Attachments" option (icon) while viewing vehicle history, which expands the whole screen to the attachemnts rather than having to scroll down to and through them and two, the "Enter by VIN" option when beginning the scanner process, much quicker and takes maximum advantage of inputting it only once!

Now I'm thinking about recreating the shortcuts from the vehicle attachments back to these files I've moved so if you feel like it please explain how I can do that and forgive me if you already did.
            Once you have pressed the attachments button and are viewing the attachments full screen, select Add from the top toolbar. A window will open to the Shopstream folder. The keyboard will be displayed on top of thewindow. Close the keyboard using the button on the right side of the keyboard that has an icon of the keyboard withan X above it. Navigate to the files you want to attach. Highlight the file by taping on it. Select Open at the lower right corner of the window to attach it.

It will only let you highlight and attach one file at a time.

Comment

• brads
              • Feb 2009

Originally posted by sbreland73
              You should lean on him harder then. The dealers will make their money back, but it takes a few trades down the road, i.e. you trade your Gen I Verus for a new one, someone trades a Solus or Modis for the Verus, someone trades an Ethos for a Solus or the Modis, etc. You can try ebay, but you will most likely not get what you want. For a franchisee, the real value in these tools is the trade in, unlike automobiles, where you can get more selling to a person as opposed to trading in at a dealer, in most cases. If your dealer still does not want to work with you, ask them to ask other nearby dealers if they would be interested. HTH and good luck.
              i got mine sold he just he didn't want to trade. i got better deal doing that.

Comment

• Bob Heybrock
                • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Rich Shepherd
                Once you have pressed the attachments button and are viewing the attachments full screen, select Add from the top toolbar. A window will open to the Shopstream folder. The keyboard will be displayed on top of thewindow. Close the keyboard using the button on the right side of the keyboard that has an icon of the keyboard withan X above it. Navigate to the files you want to attach. Highlight the file by taping on it. Select Open at the lower right corner of the window to attach it.

It will only let you highlight and attach one file at a time.
                Thanks Rick, worked great! I even practiced attaching Scope/Multimeter files.

Comment

Working...