Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ecomike
    • May 2016

Originally posted by BMW JEDI
    Keep in mind, that the newer the cartridge you get for the MT2500, the more information and tests it will have even for the older models. Snap-on did not only add new models to each update, but also new models, modules, pids and other functions for older models, every year.

IOW, get the newest cartridge you can afford. The 2007-2009 black programmable cartridges have pretty much everything in them, up to that point. IIRC, the 2009 is the final version for the MT2500.
    Thanks good to know.

Comment

• Ecomike
      • May 2016

Originally posted by Joe Rappa
      Hi Crusty,
      I was just using made up numbers when I made my example. Unlike newer scanners that have a single update, the MT2500 cartridge system allows them to be purchased separately. It would be possible to have a scanner update for 2002 and a Troubleshooter for 1997, or any other combination as long as the Primary is newer than Troubleshooter.
      Also, don't ever trust what the cartridges say on them. Put them in the scanner and power it up to see what years are covered.

Joe
      Joe to be clear, is this:

"as long as the Primary is newer than Troubleshooter."

saying that using my 1999 Transmission trouble shooter cartridge will not work at all with a 1997 Primary cart?

or it will just have limited abilities?

I would think common practices would allow a 1999 troubleshooting cartridge to be compatible with a 1997 Primary for testing 1997 and older vehicles? Did Snap-on not do this to force customers to upgrade both?

Thanks

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

Who says you can't try a 99 trouble shooter cartridge with a 97 primary cartridge. As Jerry Rubin said back in the 60s, "Just Do It Man" LMAO
        What's great about the old Bricks is that cartridges could be bought and sold and traded like baseball cards before Snappy decided to get greedy and have the software CF and SD cards only work with the serial number of the unit. You pay extra for the keys, pay extra for European coverage, extra for the Euro adapters, extra for the S-keys. i bought my Solus and was going to update , unlock the European and buy the European adapters and keys for it, but I got my MT2500 with all the European adapters , black cartridge through 2005. Sold the Solus , my DRB2 and Super Star tester and bought a DS708 instead that I never payed to update past the 12months, now that tool has been discontinued. Don't think there is a scan tool made that should cost anyone more than 3K.

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

Originally posted by Ecomike
          Joe to be clear, is this:

saying that using my 1999 Transmission trouble shooter cartridge will not work at all with a 1997 Primary cart?

or it will just have limited abilities?

Thanks
          As a rule, if you use a 97 primary cartridge, the 99 troubleshooter won't load. As witsend says, give it a try and see. Stranger things have happened.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

Working...