Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BEELINERG
    • Apr 2013

Cyl Vacuum Wave Forms On A Verus Pro

I was wondering if there is any way to set up a cylinder efficiency test with a vacuum pressure transducer on the verus pro?
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Probably could use a trigger off cyl
    #1 fuel injector for one channel and attach the pressure vacuum transducer to manifold vacuum on another channel .
    I would probably use the Amp Probe over the battery cable and identify low compression by differences in amperage draw of starter

Comment

• sbreland73
      • Jan 2009

I would recommend using the spark of #1 cyl to set the base time correct. Using an injector will throw you off a few degrees, as the piston is on the intake stroke when the injector fires.
      S. Breland

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

I would recommend using the spark of #1 cyl to set the base time correct. Using an injector will throw you off a few degrees, as the piston is on the intake stroke when the injector fires.
        Trouble is on waste spark systems the spark is occurring twice as often , so you have to divide the rpm by 2 and then determine if the suspect cylinder is cylinder one or four , or cylinder 3 or cylinder 2, unless you can see the KV difference and determine which of the paired cylinders is on compression or exhaust

Comment

• Joe Rappa
          Snap-on DSD
          • Aug 2007

If you can time it by the cam sensor on waste spark cars it will make life easier. On COP systems use the trigger for the #1 coil if it's easy to get to.

Joe
          "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
          Henry Ford

Comment

• crackerclicker
            • May 2008

Don't use an injector to sync your waveforms unless you have a specific reason to. You don't always know when it will turn on in the four stroke cycle, or if it will turn on multiple times.

Comment

• scottmechanics
              • Jun 2013

Cylinder compression

Hello
              I would agree on the amp clamp on starter motor
              Here is a you tube vid of how to set up your verus pro

Look for good repetition on a poor cylinder the compression humps are lower

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Look for good repetition on a poor cylinder the compression humps are lower
                Nice Video, I think Snap On has the capability to put those humps of relative compression check with the amp clamp done with Verus back into the more user friendly bar graph display of the Counselor 2. It is imperative that what ever you catch shows repetition because screen was not frozen before cranking was stopped to take the photo below, so the difference in cylinder amps was not nearly as large , the next time I performed the check.
                Attached Files
                Last edited by Witsend; 05-10-2015, 10:03 PM.

Comment

• Witsend
                  Banned
                  • Nov 2012

I also saw a burn time graph under cylinder test menu and tried it on a 2000 Dodge Neon that had a miss at idle, but no misfire codes yet
                  Attached Files

Comment

Working...