Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Vacuum Settings

Bad MAP ? I guess so but the point of this post is that the maximum setting for vacuum on the Verus or the Vantage in Hg is 20inHg. Which may not give enough range in some circumstances and should be increased to maybe 30inHg. The vacuum reading in the scope shot below is in PSI. If it were in Hg it will not quite show on the scope. By the way no codes were set here, just hard shifting complaint, not sure if related, was actually looking for another problem when I noticed the MAP reading. 03 Buick Lesabre. I can not confirm any fix yet, just diagnosing so far.
    Attached Files
  • greasybob
    • May 2008

Surprise, surprise, it wasn't the MAP. I had other reasons to suspect the PCM, fast idle and a TPS pid that was reading 1.5 volts higher than the actual throttle position sensor. A new PCM and all is well even the hard shift. I'm posting a fuel pump wave form from my Vantage Ultra here to also to see what it takes to open a scope file from the forums.
    Attached Files

Comment

• greasybob
      • May 2008

I guess you have to move it to your Shop Stream connect to open it. So far though the Vantage Ultra gets an A+ for being user friendly. If you have a scope that is time consuming to set up and takes a lot of space or is awkward to handle, you're less likely to use it. So along with accuracy, being simple is most important.

Comment

• greasybob
        • May 2008

Just discovered this, if you have the MT5030 pressure adapter with the Vantage Ultra you have a 30inHg scale (amplitude) option. With the EEPV302AL 100 psi/vacuum/pressure transducer you only have a 20inHg option. Strange ?
        Attached Files
        Last edited by greasybob; 09-07-2015, 04:04 PM.

Comment

• Witsend
          Banned
          • Nov 2012

Just discovered this, if you have the MT5030 pressure adapter with the Vantage Ultra you have a 30inHg scale (amplitude) option. With the EEPV302AL 100 psi/vacuum/pressure transducer you only have a 20inHg option. Strange ?
          The detail is Phenomenal. I wonder if the the use of a scope with a pressure transducer and adapter on the high side fitting of Air conditioning would be able to more accurately diagnos an AC compressor in the early stages of demise before a catastrophic failure, where you would also need to change the condenser and other parts besides.

Comment

• Rich Shepherd
            Snap-on D&I
            • Nov 2006

Originally posted by greasybob
            I guess you have to move it to your Shop Stream connect to open it. So far though the Vantage Ultra gets an A+ for being user friendly. If you have a scope that is time consuming to set up and takes a lot of space or is awkward to handle, you're less likely to use it. So along with accuracy, being simple is most important.
            See the information in this post in response to Fixitman on the SSC scan and scope data viewers:
            This forum is intended for discussions about Snap-on Diagnostic's Free software. ShopStream Connect

Currently you must navigate to scope files using the SSC Data Manager, then open them from within that program.
            scanner files can be opened independently of the SSC Data Manager assuming the Windows file association has not been changed.

Comment

• wagzilla
              • Oct 2014

Originally posted by Witsend
              The detail is Phenomenal. I wonder if the the use of a scope with a pressure transducer and adapter on the high side fitting of Air conditioning would be able to more accurately diagnos an AC compressor in the early stages of demise before a catastrophic failure, where you would also need to change the condenser and other parts besides.
              Can't we just shoot more temps with a touch prob and it will tell us whats going on?

James
              Last edited by wagzilla; 09-09-2015, 06:05 AM.

Comment

• Witsend
                Banned
                • Nov 2012

Can't we just shoot more temps with a touch prob and it will tell us whats going on?

James
                I am not familiar with a touch probe? Have an old school manifold gauge, thermometer in vent , and a newer infrared digital thermometer with a laser I bought from Port Freight to check for Cat Converter or exhaust header temp differences so I don't have to do the spit sizzle touch probing with my index finger on head pipes any more.

I'm thinking Air conditioning pressure transducer where you can watch the variations in the pressure spikes from each of the cylinders of the AC Compressor at work on an oscilloscope rather than trying to dampen the nuisance gauge fluttering out with a glycerine filled gauge.

Comment

• BMW JEDI
                  • Feb 2012

Originally posted by greasybob
                  Just discovered if you have the MT5030 pressure adapter with the Vantage Ultra you have a 30inHg scale (amplitude) option. With the EEPV302AL 100 psi/vacuum/pressure transducer you only have a 20inHg option. Strange ?
                  The EEPV302AL 100 psi/vacuum/pressure transducer is not capable of sampling anything below 20" of vacuum, so providing that option in the menu would be silly.

Comment

• greasybob
                    • May 2008

I bet it could go to 30inHg. the lowest I can get it 25inHg (12.5 psi) with the AC machine. If could figure out a way back probe the sensor without destroying the harness I would check voltage.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Working...