Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hbk4754
    • Aug 2017

ETHOS+ Capabilities

I just bought a used Ethos+ scanner off eBay a short while ago to add to my toolbag. It fit my budget and I think - emphasis on think - it will work fine for me. Since I bought it, I've plugged into a variety of vehicles mainly to get a feel for it and explore all of the functions, where things are, etc.

Question is: Everything I've tried using it on, I've been unable to use the $08 Control on board system feature of the scanner. I would understand some makes and models maybe not supporting that feature, but looking in the OBD training section of the scanner, it shows some demo features that may prove useful that I'm not sure I'll be able to use.

This is my first snap on tool, or really any tool of this caliber besides a standard average code reader, so not very familiar with some of the more advanced scanners of this magnitude. The base features of the scanner, being able to view the live data of each system and graph exportable results is still enough for me to say I like it (Old reader just showed basic info), but would like to be able to use all of the scanner if I can.

Thanks
  • Witsend
    Banned
    • Nov 2012

Mode 08 is only available on some vehicles .
    Each shop I've ever worked in, from dealer to independent, has offered Check Engine Light diagnosis as a part of its basic menu of services. Thanks to on-board diagnostics (OBDII...

Comment

• Spikefromnyc
      • Jun 2016

check me: Ethos Pro or Tech??

Excuse Me....

Can I assume that Snap-On has let their Ethos Pro & Tech models take the place for not issuing "Newer" models of their Verus and Modis scan tools?!

According to their "technical" Video & Sales text, these two(2) scanners HAVE BEEN released and both models can update to version 18.4 already!!

Verus & Modis (even Solus Lines) are still on 17.4!!

...and this was the MAIN reason I just purchased the Ethos Pro scan tool, especially since that, EXCEPT for not having "built in" Oscilloscope capabilities-------it can be said that these two models have been geared to do JUST ABOUT everything that the Verus & Modis Lines could do..

..according to Snap-On's own data sales text!!

Having bought a Solus Pro 12.4 on Ebay 2 months ago, and instead of spending $990 dollars to have it UPDATED to 17.4, I chose to research Snap-On's edition of the Ethos Line, and might have found the reason WHY there are SO MANY Verus-Modis-Solus Lines available on Ebay----It might be CHEAPER to own a Vantage Pro & get the Ethos Pro/Tech Lines, and IF you already have the Solus Pro or an Autel Maxisys----one might even say that you have the capability to EQUAL/BYPASS a reason to purchase the Verus Pro/Edge?!

P.S:
      ...IMHO the above comment was for the reason why one sees a multitude of Snap-On "Top Line" products available now, and WHAT might be a way to put a lot more money in the Technician's pocket these days!!

Comment

• Witsend
        Banned
        • Nov 2012

The difference between the Ethos and the pricier Scanners is that the pricier ones (with a current update and internet connection) offer you some time saving guided diagnostics, sometimes show connector end views etc, with Sure Trak trouble shooter that can sometimes save you 5 or 10 minutes on a car going to the computer looking up the information that theoretically could add up to a lot of time savings over the course of a year in a high volume shop if you need a little guidance and like to know what parts get slammed 90% of the time that fixed other cars if you have to spin the EEC pinwheel sometimes under the gun in a Flat Rate Shop.

Comment

• Spikefromnyc
          • Jun 2016

check me: Ethos Pro

The Ethos Pro & Tech models have the "Guided Component Locations" & Sure Track trouble shooter too, Witsend!!

I DID make a mistake about models being UPDATED to 18.2...I meant to say 17.2

So, as I stated before, Snap-On must be offering these new model Ethos to take the place of the OLDER & SLOWER model Verus & Modis because they see people are moving to Autel & Launch (the Chinese Companies)

...and that is why I see nothing but Verus, Modis & Solus models being sold on Ebay!!

Comment

• Witsend
            Banned
            • Nov 2012

The Ethos Pro & Tech models have the "Guided Component Locations" & Sure Track trouble shooter too, Witsend!!

I DID make a mistake about models being UPDATED to 18.2...I meant to say 17.2

So, as I stated before, Snap-On must be offering these new model Ethos to take the place of the OLDER & SLOWER model Verus & Modis because they see people are moving to Autel & Launch (the Chinese Companies)

...and that is why I see nothing but Verus, Modis & Solus models being sold on Ebay!
            I thought the lack of a troubleshooter and slightly smaller screen was what the difference was between the budget minded Ethos line and pricier Solus

Comment

• Joe Rappa
              Snap-on DSD
              • Aug 2007

Originally posted by hbk4754
              Question is: Everything I've tried using it on, I've been unable to use the $08 Control on board system feature of the scanner. I would understand some makes and models maybe not supporting that feature, but looking in the OBD training section of the scanner, it shows some demo features that may prove useful that I'm not sure I'll be able to use.

Thanks
              Go here: https://www1.snapon.com/diagnostics/...cPlatforms.htm

Build a comparison between any scanner you want, and it will show you the differences.
              In short, the Ethos+ has no bi-directional controls outside of some Steering Angle Sensor relearns.
              Ethos Plus has no Troubleshooter or Suretrack.
              Same for Ethos Edge.
              "You don't build a reputation on what you're going to do"
              Henry Ford

Comment

Working...